Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shet View Post
If that happens, maybe they can have some trains which start at 33rd/WTC and terminate at Pavonia or Grove street and vice versa. This will for peak hours only.
They can't do that because those tunnels are busy with multiple schedule trains running through them.

People need to realize there are not enough tunnels for the PATH, it's the same problem with NJTransit and Amtrak. You can only pass so much train safely via single track/tunnels each way.

Anyone that go through Holland Tunnel during rush hour knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 12:33 PM

538 posts, read 727,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Once the Meadowlands Sports complex was built (opened in 1976), there were always suggestions to extend the NYC subway #7 line from Times Sq to the Meadowlands (6 miles). Bus access plus the parking lots could have easily supported a ton of commuters. The eventual NJT train connection could have been added sooner. It would have taken a huge amount of strain off all the other sections of the NJ to NYC commute.

The stupidity for not doing it rests with the MTA, PA and state officials of NY and NJ and the Federal govt.
Recently there has been talk of extending the 7 line to Secaucus Junction. I think that was to be done in lieu of the ARC project (i.e. taking up some of the same planned pathways). As the Gateway Project seems to be moving forward I suspect any ideas of extending the 7 line to Secaucus would be put to rest for now. I do think things have gotten to the point where the Gateway Project will happen. There at least is some work progressing on it.

The current thinking for the 7 line is to have it now go from Hudson Yards to Penn Station.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:52 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,220,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
My favorite are the PATH ads aboard trains that claim the metal bird will soon allow access to MTA subways without getting my hair wet. Not even kidding.

Left out is the part on how that underground walkway connection is still years away and probably a couple billion more down the drain.

I hope the next NJ governor is smart enough to take this situation and use it as an advantage. If transit into the city sucks then lower corporate taxes and promote more companies to move into Jersey City, Newark, or elsewhere in North Jersey.
The underground walkway already opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I talked to a train worker on a ride once. He himself admitted that there is no feasible solution for the PATH going forward. As Jersey City gets more and more people moving in as construction continues, the trains cannot keep pace. Running more trains is not an option according to him (allegedly because there is no extra space on the tracks to fit them), nor is making the trains larger, since that would also require altering every single space to make more room along the track for the train to fit so people can get on and off.

I wonder if when this unsustainable bubble pops, how will the housing market in Jersey City react? When the trains get even more overcrowded than they are now and people potentially cannot fit on when it comes to their stop, will people actually want to live there since the commute time will become worse?

Perhaps this is actually what will start to drive people further out to Journal Square and Newark, as they can more easily get on the train at the beginning of the ride. Maybe Newport will suffer and will have trouble getting renters.
This isn't true. They can extend the Newark - WTC trains from eight cars to ten as soon as they get their acts together and expand the Grove St station. All of the other stations have capacity for ten-car trains already.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:54 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,903,631 times
Not only are they building in Jersey City/area, but they're also building more and more, taking up seemingly every empty plot of land, in parts of Union County and I'm sure other areas of the state. Towns like Garwood and Cranford on the RVL are experiencing building booms, with the recent favorite being apartment buildings. More apartments were finally approved in Cranford (the inexplicably controversial Birchwood development on the north side, which residents attempted to stop due to "flooding concerns" - read "we don't want this on the north side" - yet the newer South Ave/High St apartments are directly in a flood zone as they are right next to the river and the whole block was underwater during Irene ). They're attempting to build a 500 unit building in Garwood on either North or South Ave. Development is everywhere, and it's not cute little neighborhoods of single family homes. It's rental apartments directed towards singles and younger couples who want that life where they can live close enough to the city to work and have fun there yet also have trendy and busy smaller towns to live in and come home to.

Some of these people moving into these apartments a little west of Hudson County and the PATH will likely be traveling by PATH as well. They are placing a strain on the system, too. It's super easy to take the RVL to Newark Penn then take the PATH to WTC or transfer in Hoboken or whatever and take it anywhere else. It's very appealing for people looking to live in NJ along the train lines and work in Midtown or lower Manhattan. People are moving out of Brooklyn and other parts of the city - or even from Hoboken and JC - into NJ more and more, at least here in Cranford we see it a lot now. They want to escape the city life but still work there, so they're ditching the subways and now taking our mass transit. And with the new buildings, more and more can come from anywhere and do this.

Moral of the story - NJ needs to stop building. Seriously. We are dense enough already and have enough transit issues and traffic issues. We don't need 500+ more people moving into Garwood and Cranford or anywhere else. Unbelievable. Not every area has to become apartment-heavy and diverse in that sense. I was fine with the few apartment buildings we had in Cranford previously, but then they built all those buildings downtown what must be at least 10 years ago now, and haven't stopped since. More and more plans keep coming through. I liked our quaint, quiet suburban town that is now being taken over by large, new apartment buildings in every corner and downtown. Not cool. Not to mention the strain on schools, as well. It just needs to stop, but unfortunately the builders and developers make too much money on this stuff, so it won't.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
How about building more roads 1st?

Old 06-10-2016, 10:55 AM

550 posts, read 1,182,715 times
This is on point! I work in Lower Manhattan and even from Journal SQ when the PATH comes from Newark it is FULLY packed standing room only.. how is this possible to expect the INFLUX of people, condos, high rises in jersey city now to get to work when train coming from Newark is already at capacity??

And god forbid there is yet another "signal" problem and trains delayed by 2min, the entire station pack full of people like riot crowd.. I have yet to hear ANY thing from ANY politician in Jersey City about this over crowding issue at PATH.. people just deal with it.. and its getting worse, somethings gotta give!

Old 06-10-2016, 12:16 PM

702 posts, read 536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
I have yet to hear ANY thing from ANY politician in Jersey City about this over crowding issue at PATH.. people just deal with it.. and its getting worse, somethings gotta give!

The PATH problem doesn't belong to any Jersey City politician. It is a Port Authority issue. I cannot believe they're trying to kick it over to the Mayors. It is not the job of NJ mayors to get their residents across the Hudson River. That is job of the Port Authority.

The growth in PATH ridership is not caused by building condos in JC, both of those things share a root cause. The growth in jobs in NYC, and the high cost of living in NYC. The Port Authority might as well blame DeBlasio for not building enough affordable housing in the city.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,182,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
The PATH problem doesn't belong to any Jersey City politician. It is a Port Authority issue. I cannot believe they're trying to kick it over to the Mayors. It is not the job of NJ mayors to get their residents across the Hudson River. That is job of the Port Authority.

The growth in PATH ridership is not caused by building condos in JC, both of those things share a root cause. The growth in jobs in NYC, and the high cost of living in NYC. The Port Authority might as well blame DeBlasio for not building enough affordable housing in the city.

Well with the rates @ 2.75 and climbing, no other alternatives, I doubt the PA will do anything anytime soon

Old 06-11-2016, 07:04 AM

13,958 posts, read 14,863,968 times
For god sakes all you people do is complain about how crowded things are, PATH, Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal, guess what?
you live in the Densest area of the country, if you don't want to live in a place as crowded, move to the other 99% of the country.

Old 06-11-2016, 11:36 AM

88,189 posts, read 84,046,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
For god sakes all you people do is complain about how crowded things are, PATH, Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal, guess what?
you live in the Densest area of the country, if you don't want to live in a place as crowded, move to the other 99% of the country.
Hello! If there were quick, easy solutions and endless amounts of money lying around to get more people over and under the water to a big city on a small island, people would be coming up with all sorts of ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey