Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Not when they build parking garages beneath or nearby the new buildings. This is still NJ. You need a car.
If they're not using it to commute daily, that largely doesn't matter. Peak time on the roads is commute time, if they're commuting by train, whether they use a car off-hours doesn't matter so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 08:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
If they're not using it to commute daily, that largely doesn't matter. Peak time on the roads is commute time, if they're commuting by train, whether they use a car off-hours doesn't matter so much.
Driving down South Avenue in Cranford (and nearby towns) at any time of day, especially rush hour, has gotten worse since all the new building. North Avenue isn't much better. Trust me, I live there and drive the roads every day. More people = more cars. More traffic into downtown, as well, because of new booming businesses. Cranford's downtown has become very popular rather quickly. It was always nice and decently known but since the recent development it's boomed.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:32 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I talked to a train worker on a ride once. He himself admitted that there is no feasible solution for the PATH going forward. As Jersey City gets more and more people moving in as construction continues, the trains cannot keep pace. Running more trains is not an option according to him (allegedly because there is no extra space on the tracks to fit them), nor is making the trains larger, since that would also require altering every single space to make more room along the track for the train to fit so people can get on and off.

I wonder if when this unsustainable bubble pops, how will the housing market in Jersey City react? When the trains get even more overcrowded than they are now and people potentially cannot fit on when it comes to their stop, will people actually want to live there since the commute time will become worse?

Perhaps this is actually what will start to drive people further out to Journal Square and Newark, as they can more easily get on the train at the beginning of the ride. Maybe Newport will suffer and will have trouble getting renters.
The capacity can be increased by adding cars to each train. I'm not sure how many they can add, obviously they can't be infinetely long. But I've read capacity can be increased by 50%.

They can also subsidize a ferry from newport if things get really bad.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:16 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
They can only have as many cars as the platform is long.

I don't think there is a ferry from Newport anymore.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:26 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Driving down South Avenue in Cranford (and nearby towns) at any time of day, especially rush hour, has gotten worse since all the new building. North Avenue isn't much better. Trust me, I live there and drive the roads every day. More people = more cars. More traffic into downtown, as well, because of new booming businesses. Cranford's downtown has become very popular rather quickly. It was always nice and decently known but since the recent development it's boomed.
For years (decades) Cranford residents complained about being in Westfield's shadow in terms of the downtown. Now it's thriving and residents aren't happy. As someone who grew up in Cranford, but no longer lives there I'm very happy to see what's happening to my little town.

Your points are valid though, particularly about the overcrowding in schools. In theory the increased density downtown should provide more tax money to the schools and both Orange and Hillside have a lot of space to expand.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
For years (decades) Cranford residents complained about being in Westfield's shadow in terms of the downtown. Now it's thriving and residents aren't happy. As someone who grew up in Cranford, but no longer lives there I'm very happy to see what's happening to my little town.

Your points are valid though, particularly about the overcrowding in schools. In theory the increased density downtown should provide more tax money to the schools and both Orange and Hillside have a lot of space to expand.
I think it's great Cranford is getting so popular. We have some really good restaurants. IMHO our restaurants are better than WF's now. I never minded downtown not being as popular as Westfield's personally. At the same time though, I miss the days when I could go out to our restaurants and not have to wait and deal with traffic and a ton of out of towners and newcomers from elsewhere. I mean it's to the point now where you can barely find a parking spot downtown even during the day. It's a tad frustrating seeing as I also grew up there, so did my mom, and remember the days when we were not as popular.

The good thing is home values are going up. Cranford is becoming much more desirable than it's ever been - and it's always been one of NJ's nicer and more well known towns I think.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:01 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I have never been to Cranford (or Westfield for that matter). You're making it sound rather inviting!

I do think it's only in the past decade or so that I became aware that there was a place in NJ named Cranford, lol. That's the Bergen County mentality. There's Bergen Passaic, and Sussex Counties--oh and Rockland and Orange Counties, too--and then there's the rest of NJ!

Old 08-09-2016, 09:53 AM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,208 times
NJ Path has very reasonable fares. Metro North charges $505 for a monthly from Poughkeepsie to GCT or $234 from Bronxville to GCT.

Is it possible to add more cars per every train?

Old 08-09-2016, 11:01 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
I don't mind people moving in. I mind the overdevelopment ruining the small town charm and causing more and more traffic and increased density and strain on mass transit. I'm sick of my town building apartments. They need to stop.
Typical NIMBY. I got mine, now pay more for yours.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Typical NIMBY. I got mine, now pay more for yours.
Yeah? So you're for overdevelopment and the urbanization of small towns?

My family's been in Cranford for over 50 years. Get in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey