Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 13,145 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are looking to relocate from London UK to New Jersey. My husband has been offered a job in Jersey City. We have 3 small children, one of which is school age (5 years old) My husband will earn a basic of $175,000. Can we live comfortably on this? We have been looking to rent in Summit/Maplewood/Millburn. Do you guys have to pay things like council tax etc...? Generally what bills are there to pay every month? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM

88,776 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Rent, utilities (heat, electric and cooking gas, sometimes water if you are renting a whole house). Rental insurance to replace your possessions in case of fire, etc.

If you have a car you need car insurance.

Don't know what council tax is.

But...you are the third poster this past month moving to NJ from London. What's going on?

ETA: Never mind, one of them is you lol

And why would you leave Tibits behind, that fantastic vegetarian buffet restaurant I found in London last November? I want more mushroom, potato, and ale pie.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-03-2016 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 09:26 AM

160 posts, read 301,600 times
I googled it and it seems council tax is their version of property tax. You would only pay that if you bought a house instead of renting. Well, you will pay for it regardless as homeowners pass their expenses onto renters in the form of higher rent.

Mightyqueen801 went over expenses quite well. I would say 175k is more than enough to live in North NJ, most people live on less even with 2 incomes. You may want to expand your list of towns though, Summit and Millburn for example are two of the richest town in the entire region, I doubt there are many 4 bedroom homes for rent there.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,681,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymgnome35 View Post
Hello, we are looking to relocate from London UK to New Jersey. My husband has been offered a job in Jersey City. We have 3 small children, one of which is school age (5 years old) My husband will earn a basic of $175,000. Can we live comfortably on this? We have been looking to rent in Summit/Maplewood/Millburn. Do you guys have to pay things like council tax etc...? Generally what bills are there to pay every month? Thank you!
Those are very expensive areas and $175K, while a very nice salary, will be very middle of the road in those towns. Your money will go the farthest in Maplewood by a lot. I would estimate a modest 4BR house in Summit or Millburn is going to set you back about $5K-$6K/month. Expect utility bills of $300/month, Cable/Internet/Phone $150/month, Commuting( if going to NYC) $250/month, Car Lease $300-$500/month, groceries $600/month. Those are the basics.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM

526 posts, read 1,412,113 times
The average "family" income in NJ is about $85k
You would have double that, with $175K

Unless you have very expensive tastes, you would be fine.
If you rent, you do not pay property tax (Council tax)
You only pay property tax on the value of a house (real estate) you own.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:34 AM

311 posts, read 480,109 times
Agree completely with tdstyles... those are some pricey areas; you will be OK on 175k, but not have tons of extra money to throw around. If you are staying home with the kids and don't need daycare, that will help.

Also, you mention that your husband is making 175k base. Can he expect a big bonus on top of that (like 50%)? If so, I would say you'll be in good shape.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,276,275 times
Also budget for nursery or preschool with 2 not yet in school. Even if you are an stay at home mom, most children do go to at least pre-k. Prices vary but nursery school tuition may be even more expensive than London.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rent, utilities (heat, electric and cooking gas, sometimes water if you are renting a whole house). Rental insurance to replace your possessions in case of fire, etc.

If you have a car you need car insurance.

Don't know what council tax is.

But...you are the third poster this past month moving to NJ from London. What's going on?

ETA: Never mind, one of them is you lol

And why would you leave Tibits behind, that fantastic vegetarian buffet restaurant I found in London last November? I want more mushroom, potato, and ale pie.
I love Tibits Mightyqueen801! We go there often!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo_Urns View Post
Agree completely with tdstyles... those are some pricey areas; you will be OK on 175k, but not have tons of extra money to throw around. If you are staying home with the kids and don't need daycare, that will help.

Also, you mention that your husband is making 175k base. Can he expect a big bonus on top of that (like 50%)? If so, I would say you'll be in good shape.
Boo_Urns, yes he will have a bonus onto of that...good to know!

Old 06-03-2016, 11:05 PM

Thank you so much everyone, all this information is great! Love this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey