Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 09:30 PM

13 posts, read 18,490 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some advice on the rental in some New Jersey towns. We are a family of 3 from Philadelphia. My hubby works in Financial District and hope to have a daily door to door commute within an hour. Hopefully it is close to train or if not, drive to train station within minutes. School district is not our concern yet since our baby is 1, but safety is. We hope to keep the rent lower than 2k, preferably two bedrooms. Apartment and condos are fine to us. We saw some apartments which are actually single family houses that subleased to two families on each floor. Is that type of apartment good for a family with a small baby? is it normal for renters to find a broker in the NYC area? Any leads appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 09:54 PM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
greater NYC area spreads to NJ, but rental laws in NY State, formal NYC and NJ are all different. If you hubby works and you being a stay home mom can drive him to and from the train station you would have more great options.

I do not know what you mean by area since you are not worried about schools.

I never used or heard of rental brokers in NJ, but in NYC those are unavoidable.

Being a local Avalon apartments near train stations is something I make fun off, because I can find a better deal.

Avalon at Wesmont Station, then take a look at other Avalon location near train stations.

Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpie View Post
I am looking for some advice on the rental in some New Jersey towns. We are a family of 3 from Philadelphia. My hubby works in Financial District and hope to have a daily door to door commute within an hour. Hopefully it is close to train or if not, drive to train station within minutes. School district is not our concern yet since our baby is 1, but safety is. We hope to keep the rent lower than 2k, preferably two bedrooms. Apartment and condos are fine to us. We saw some apartments which are actually single family houses that subleased to two families on each floor. Is that type of apartment good for a family with a small baby? is it normal for renters to find a broker in the NYC area? Any leads appreciated.
Check out Rutherford. Safe town, on the Bergen County line, which goes to Hoboken, then a ten-minute ride on PATH to WTC.

I don't get single-family houses leased to two families. How is that legal? You share a kitchen with another family?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 PM

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
greater NYC area spreads to NJ, but rental laws in NY State, formal NYC and NJ are all different. If you hubby works and you being a stay home mom can drive him to and from the train station you would have more great options.

I do not know what you mean by area since you are not worried about schools.

I never used or heard of rental brokers in NJ, but in NYC those are unavoidable.

Being a local Avalon apartments near train stations is something I make fun off, because I can find a better deal.

Avalon at Wesmont Station, then take a look at other Avalon location near train stations.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. We will definitely check Rutherford out.

As advertised, those are the multi family houses. They look like sfh to me anyway from the photos. There is a kitchen on the second floor as well and I think the owner just build a new kitchen. We do not need to share kitchen with others.

By any chance you know if Rutherford is a kids friendly city? Our baby is one year old. Though she may not need an excellent school district now, I prefer to stay in a small town/ city which offers her some opportunities going to local libraries for story time, outdoor summer concert, playdates etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Check out Rutherford. Safe town, on the Bergen County line, which goes to Hoboken, then a ten-minute ride on PATH to WTC.

I don't get single-family houses leased to two families. How is that legal? You share a kitchen with another family?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpie View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. We will definitely check Rutherford out.

As advertised, those are the multi family houses. They look like sfh to me anyway from the photos. There is a kitchen on the second floor as well and I think the owner just build a new kitchen. We do not need to share kitchen with others.

By any chance you know if Rutherford is a kids friendly city? Our baby is one year old. Though she may not need an excellent school district now, I prefer to stay in a small town/ city which offers her some opportunities going to local libraries for story time, outdoor summer concert, playdates etc.
Yes, Rutherford is safe and kid-friendly. It's a family town. You will probably find some of those types of activities you listed there. Check the town website, library website.

OK, so those are NOT SFHs, they are two-family houses. In some of the older towns, people used to convert homes to two-family. Not so much anymore, as there are usually town restrictions on doing that, but it used to be quite common for someone to turn a single-family house into two apartments once kids were grown, etc. My grandmother's house was like that. She grew up there, inherited the house, then she and my grandfather turned the upstairs into an apartment and rented it out. This was years ago, but many of those houses still exist in Bergen County, and it's often more homelike than a garden apartment.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:03 PM

Thanks again!

Our baby is a very active one so we need a backyard to burn some of her energy. Two-family houses seem to meet our current demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, Rutherford is safe and kid-friendly. It's a family town. You will probably find some of those types of activities you listed there. Check the town website, library website.

OK, so those are NOT SFHs, they are two-family houses. In some of the older towns, people used to convert homes to two-family. Not so much anymore, as there are usually town restrictions on doing that, but it used to be quite common for someone to turn a single-family house into two apartments once kids were grown, etc. My grandmother's house was like that. She grew up there, inherited the house, then she and my grandfather turned the upstairs into an apartment and rented it out. This was years ago, but many of those houses still exist in Bergen County, and it's often more homelike than a garden apartment.

Old 06-14-2016, 03:59 AM

862 posts, read 976,409 times
Rutherford library even has music on Friday mornings for toddler age kids, usually a 1 person band like guitar bob, free, gets packed and the kids get wild dancing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey