Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 02:56 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times

Advertisements

Here are a few possibilities at one company I know of:

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 03:16 PM

378 posts, read 587,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Well, thank US government for allowing out of control corporations to abuse H1B visa rules. H1B visa was intended to allows US companies to hire people with exceptional talents. Instead they use the outsourcing agencies to bring in dirt cheap entry level Indian programmers paid 10K a year in India... Some go back to India after being trained, some stay here... That makes it hard for US college graduates to find work.
This.

For an instructive example, visit Newport Station on the PATH train during the morning rush. Ever wonder why the throngs of (South and East) Asians are there? Hint: it's not because they are smarter than you.

Your elected officials sold you out for a cheap campaign contribution.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:02 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
You need actual experience under your belt, which is an incredibly frustrating catch 22. Take the Bridgewater 3 months if you can physically get there & if it is still available. If not & you're willing to take a lot of rejections and work for half a year at $10-15/hour, google up smaller companies (20-30 people ideally -- large enough to have a programming/IT need, small enough to be ran by people), find the CEO/CTO, and cold call/email saying you are a CS grad looking to get coding experience willing to work for half a year for low wages (it's a small world, so only do this if you're willing to actually stay the ~half a year it will take for you to add net value to their company even at a nominal wage).

Seconding everyone else that things that use computer science is a huge field; what do you want to actually do?

Also -- and probably not what you want to hear -- but who do you expect to hire you to use F#? Maybe I'm just ignorant and it's a huge up and coming language (if so, apologies), and given the obscurity if you can find someone who will pay you to use it they will probably pay you a lot, but the business world runs on SQL/Java/Javascript/Python + the various C-languages, web & app languages, etc. Focusing on skilling up on more bespoke languages is a great way to get a job paying $100K+, not such a great way to get a job, period, when you are trying to break into the industry, unemployed, and already missed the on-campus recruiting window.

edit: You 100% should be using your time productively -- and if you enjoy F# and will actually do it keep at it because any programming language says you can be trained for another -- it's just obscure.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 06-14-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 06-14-2016, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Computer Sci is too broad a major, you need specialization. If you are neither a programmer or IT expert then you have to start deciding which area to get into then start looking for training. If you're good at software engineering or development you probably would already had jobs lined up by now.
CS has absolutely nothing to do with being an IT expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Computer Science is a very broad field. What specifically are you qualified in doing...desktop support, programming, database administration, etc.?

Once you have an interview lined up, I recommend checking out sites like Glassdoor.com. They will give you a lot of background and reviews about the company, and some even give possible interview questions you may be asked.

Also keep in mind, most businesses have an IT department. So don't limit yourself only to tech companies. I work in IT for an insurance company.
CS has nothing to do with desktop support, database administration, etc. CS is CS. The only applicable thing is programming, and even that is still too broad. What you listed mostly is IT.

A lot of companies don't exist on Glassdoor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You need actual experience under your belt, which is an incredibly frustrating catch 22. Take the Bridgewater 3 months if you can physically get there & if it is still available. If not & you're willing to take a lot of rejections and work for half a year at $10-15/hour, google up smaller companies (20-30 people ideally -- large enough to have a programming/IT need, small enough to be ran by people), find the CEO/CTO, and cold call/email saying you are a CS grad looking to get coding experience willing to work for half a year for low wages (it's a small world, so only do this if you're willing to actually stay the ~half a year it will take for you to add net value to their company even at a nominal wage).

Seconding everyone else that things that use computer science is a huge field; what do you want to actually do?

Also -- and probably not what you want to hear -- but who do you expect to hire you to use F#? Maybe I'm just ignorant and it's a huge up and coming language (if so, apologies), and given the obscurity if you can find someone who will pay you to use it they will probably pay you a lot, but the business world runs on SQL/Java/Javascript/Python + the various C-languages, web & app languages, etc. Focusing on skilling up on more bespoke languages is a great way to get a job paying $100K+, not such a great way to get a job, period, when you are trying to break into the industry, unemployed, and already missed the on-campus recruiting window.

edit: You 100% should be using your time productively -- and if you enjoy F# and will actually do it keep at it because any programming language says you can be trained for another -- it's just obscure.
The Bridgewater position is not an option any more. I declined it, since the pay is lower than an internship, no benefits, I would have to relocate (I don't drive), company refused to provide a contract, and the company was deceitful throughout the interview.

I already know Java, C#, and multiple web technologies (obviously not an expert in everything). The F# was for my personal self in order to become an overall stronger programmer, and there are good F# meetups around here. You can also transfer F# skills to something like Haskell or Scala, which while are not as popular as OO languages, are still good.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:25 AM

351 posts, read 482,361 times
I think you should have looked for this first job for 1 year total. If that time has passed, then I would try to concentrate on a specific area. For example, if you want to do CS at a bank, you need to most likely work on your C and Java. Maybe supplement your degree with post grad classes.

Your situation is odd in that everyone I know who is in CS gets a job pretty fast. Especially if they know of Haskell. Maybe you should post your resume with the private info out so we can see if there are any glaring problems.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:13 AM

39 posts, read 60,956 times
Quote:
Why don't you explain what it DOES have to do with then? We aren't experts in YOUR skills.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:14 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Here are a few possibilities at one company I know of:

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP

Working at ADP
I worked for ADP in Roseland back in the day. That job paid 60k (this should tell you about my seniority level as an IT professional Back then).

I have interviewed for a job in their parsippany location. The interviewer got on my nerves. People with parsippany ADP experience were very critical of me giving ADP a neutral rating as an employer. In other words it sucked.

You know if we exclude parsippany from US, US will gain 20 reputation points !

Old 06-15-2016, 09:22 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobokenresident2425 View Post

CS has nothing to do with desktop support, database administration, etc. CS is CS. The only applicable thing is programming, and even that is still too broad. What you listed mostly is IT.

The Bridgewater position is not an option any more. I declined it, since the pay is lower than an internship, no benefits, I would have to relocate (I don't drive), company refused to provide a contract, and the company was deceitful throughout the interview.

I already know Java, C#, and multiple web technologies (obviously not an expert in everything). The F# was for my personal self in order to become an overall stronger programmer, and there are good F# meetups around here. You can also transfer F# skills to something like Haskell or Scala, which while are not as popular as OO languages, are still good.
Ok, i am going to ask you questions and hopefully answering them will help you, maybe we will make recommendations as well

1. what compensation are u looking for ?
2. What experience do you have ? (what does your resume says ?
3. What geographic area works for you ? Can you commute to Manhattan ?
4. What day to day duties are you looking for ? (Coding in C#, coding SQL, administative, QA, general IT experience).
5. How do you job hunt ?
6. Are you open to internships ?

now if you have no experience, the right internship might help you. there are websites where you can pick up coding projects. There is also volunteering to none profit organization that will help you build up experience.

Robert halph a job is a well know company that wastes people time, they take away from your career instead of contributing, beware of recruiters like these

Old 06-15-2016, 10:40 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobokenresident2425 View Post

You seem to know an awful lot for someone who can't find a job. Maybe your attitude is the issue. I have 15 years experience working in IT. I think I know what I'm talking about. I have a meeting later today with some of our programmers. Like it or not, programming is part of the IT umbrella.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM

39 posts, read 60,956 times
Quote:
You seem to know an awful lot for someone who can't find a job. Maybe your attitude is the issue.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey