Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 04:51 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times

Advertisements

I think comparing Jersey City's Indian community and Edison's Indian community is like comparing apples to oranges. I am probably wrong but Jersey City's Indian population, at least the one near Newark Avenue, seems to be more working class while Edison's seems to be more middle to upper middle class. I think this is true of all ethnicities where the working class tends to live in the urban immigrant neighborhoods while the more upwardly mobile live in the suburbs or in other more affluent areas. I believe the Newport area which is more affluent also has many Asians, although I don't know if that means it has many Indians or other Asians. I think Jackson Heights in Queens is also more of a working class Indian neighborhood if I am not mistaken. And I guess when Indians move up the socioeconomic ladder they move to the suburbs not excluding suburbs that have large Indian populations like Edison.

I think Middlesex County would be a great fit for you, OP. Edison, Woodbridge, South Brunswick would be great choices to stay in touch with your Indian roots. However I would choose Edison or Iselin if I were you since you mention you want to commute to NYC by train and I don't think South Brunswick has its own train station. You could just take the MetroPark station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 31,359 times
Thanks everyone.I was looking into woodbridge and also south brunswick
If anyone knows any specific communities/ apartments, i will be gratefulforthe suggestions.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiandr View Post
Thanks everyone.I was looking into woodbridge and also south brunswick.

You would definitely have better access to Indian grocery stores if you lived in Woodbridge, as the almost totally-Indian section of Oak Tree Road in Iselin and Edison is only a few minutes away. However, when your child is ready to begin his/her schooling, you would be much better-off in South Brunswick.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You would definitely have better access to Indian grocery stores if you lived in Woodbridge, as the almost totally-Indian section of Oak Tree Road in Iselin and Edison is only a few minutes away. However, when your child is ready to begin his/her schooling, you would be much better-off in South Brunswick.

Since the OP wants to commute by train I think maybe s/he could live in Iselin near Oak Tree Road then move to North Edison for a better school. The OP would still be close to the Metropark Train station plus have a great high school, JP Stevens. JP Stevens is also an Asian majority high school so their kids won't feel left out.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Since the OP wants to commute by train I think maybe s/he could live in Iselin near Oak Tree Road then move to North Edison for a better school. The OP would still be close to the Metropark Train station plus have a great high school, JP Stevens. JP Stevens is also an Asian majority high school so their kids won't feel left out.

That is a good strategy, IMHO.

Old 06-22-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is a good strategy, IMHO.

Thanks

Old 06-23-2016, 03:45 PM

Thanks guys.
Looking into apartments in Woodbridge and north edison now. South Brunswick is good; but too long a commute to manhattan.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM

Hi guys
Started looking into options for a one bedroom rental apartment in Jersey city as well.
Want to know what are the safe, toddler friendly areas in Jersey city?
Also, is it unrealistic to expect a rental within $ 2200 for one bedroom in Jersey city?
Please advise.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM

On second thoughts, i also looked up Secaucus and Rutherford. They seemlike better places than JC. Getting really confused. Please help.

Old 07-26-2016, 05:21 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,435,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiandr View Post
Hi guys
Started looking into options for a one bedroom rental apartment in Jersey city as well.
Want to know what are the safe, toddler friendly areas in Jersey city?
Also, is it unrealistic to expect a rental within $ 2200 for one bedroom in Jersey city?
Please advise.
You will need to find yourself a 2 bedroom (or a 1 bd plus den). NJ law stipulates this, and you really do not want to deal with a DYFS investigation No reputable landlord will allow a family of three to occupy a one bedroom. For more info see New Jersey Housing Occupancy Limits: How Many People is Too Many? — New Jersey Real Estate Attorney Blog

You should be able to find a nice suitable apt in a decent area of JC, near a PATH station (for ease of commute), for right around your price limit, the new construction luxury units with all the amenities will run you more $.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey