Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 08:26 AM

650 posts, read 775,125 times

Advertisements

1. How is the house price trend around Palisade and 40 St? over there, mostly are condos ? Price increases fast?

2. BUs takes 30 min to Manhattan... what is faster way to get to NYC? During off-rush time? or ferry?

3. Safe area day and night... for asians. I know only 2% of whole union city is asian.

4. Where do stores charge 3.5% sales tax?

5. Any other amenities for residents? I know a library..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 11:37 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
1. How is the house price trend around Palisade and 40 St? over there, mostly are condos ? Price increases fast?

2. BUs takes 30 min to Manhattan... what is faster way to get to NYC? During off-rush time? or ferry?

3. Safe area day and night... for asians. I know only 2% of whole union city is asian.

4. Where do stores charge 3.5% sales tax?

5. Any other amenities for residents? I know a library..

Stores in NJ that are within a designated UEZ (Urban Enterprise Zone) can apply to be permitted to charge 3.5% sales tax.

Each store within a UEZ is responsible to apply. Each store will have a sign indicating they charge 3.5%. If there is no sign than ask them.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:07 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I worked in the union city area for a few years, area was almost all recent immigrants from central America when I was there, this is a Spanish speaking community, I never felt unsafe there day or night, just on weekend nights some of the immigrant latin men would get extremely drunk.

when I was there like 7 years ago they were starting to build condo's, and some developments, so may have changed a bit, I am sure the parking situation is the same, extremely tight parking, they had a lot of little jitney busses everywhere, for $1.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:17 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
The jitney bus to NYC passes through 495. So if you want to take the jitney bus you might want to live near there. To avoid automobile traffic, you can take the light rail uptown at Bergenline near 47th Street, then switch to the Path at Hoboken. but that is also time consuming. The Doric would be a good place to live. It is near Hoboken but it is about a thirty minute commute and is not near the Hoboken PATH station.

You could try living in the Troy Towers and walk to Lincoln Harbor and then from Lincoln Harbor take a train to Midtown Manhattan.

Union City is predominately Hispanic, but I don't think you should have any problems as an Asian. There are various types of Latino eateries including Cuban, Dominican, Mexican, Peruvian, Colombian, Uruguayan, etc. But if you are into nightlife, you should try out Hoboken or NYC.

Last edited by homenj; 06-18-2016 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-18-2016, 02:46 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
If you're coming from Brooklyn, you will be in shock and exit fast

Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
If you're coming from Brooklyn, you will be in shock and exit fast
The OP didn't say where in Brooklyn they were coming from. I don't think UC would be a shock at all coming from a place like Bushwick or Sunset Park.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:40 AM

650 posts, read 775,125 times
Bushwick has tons of hispanics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The OP didn't say where in Brooklyn they were coming from. I don't think UC would be a shock at all coming from a place like Bushwick or Sunset Park.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:36 AM

79 posts, read 72,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
The jitney bus to NYC passes through 495. So if you want to take the jitney bus you might want to live near there. To avoid automobile traffic, you can take the light rail uptown at Bergenline near 47th Street, then switch to the Path at Hoboken. but that is also time consuming. The Doric would be a good place to live. It is near Hoboken but it is about a thirty minute commute and is not near the Hoboken PATH station.

You could try living in the Troy Towers and walk to Lincoln Harbor and then from Lincoln Harbor take a train to Midtown Manhattan.

Union City is predominately Hispanic, but I don't think you should have any problems as an Asian. There are various types of Latino eateries including Cuban, Dominican, Mexican, Peruvian, Colombian, Uruguayan, etc. But if you are into nightlife, you should try out Hoboken or NYC.
what train goes from lincoln harbor to midtown manhattan?

Old 06-20-2016, 10:15 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Bushwick has tons of hispanics.
Yeah but there are different types. Bushwick has a lot of Puerto Ricans with I think growing Mexican and Ecuadorian communities. Union City is a mix of Hispanic cultures. Union City was once the "Havana of the Hudson" but today it is a mix of Cubans, Ecuadorians, Colombians, Salvadorans, Peruvians, Dominicans, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, and others.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:59 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinsuranceguy201 View Post
what train goes from lincoln harbor to midtown manhattan?

Waterway Ferry.
Hudson River Ferries

Closest train that will take you to the City is Hoboken PATH.
PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Hudson Bergen Light Rail will get you down to Hoboken PATH.
New Jersey Transit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey