Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,499 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of issues with an apartment that I'm renting. There's holes by the door where the mice are getting in and the back door is dry rotted. I owe my landlord 500 for this month which he will get in three days. My issue now is that I haven't had hot water in four days and my landlord refuses to address it. It's a private owner landlord. He said to me if I have issues just move. Ok I told him I was going up to city hall to report him to the building inspector because of this. Well he stated becaus I'm late paying him rent in the lease he doesn't have to take me to court to evict me he can do it right then and there. I told him he has to file with the court. Well a couple hours later I was sleep and the dog is barking I wake up to see what's going on, the landlord entered my apartment with his girlfriend and scared the hell out of me. He used his keys and I didn't tell him he could do that. Now could he do that? So we get into a screaming match where he's says if I don't have his rent by the end of june he's coming back and throwing me out, now can he do that? My main concern is can he use keys to enter into my apartment like that while I'm sleeping? I had no knowledge that he was even coming and with his girlfriend and I still don't have hot water?
Help me with this so I know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:07 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,577,144 times
I would move if I was you. Leave the mice and cold water and move on.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 AM

3,951 posts, read 4,194,140 times
Yes, he has to take you to court to evict you. No, he cannot just come into your apartment without telling you. That said, this sounds like a bad situation that could get worse. Pay this month's rent, get a receipt for it, and start looking for a new place. If problems continue, seek legal help (there may be free legal help for tenants in your city). Good luck.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,200,001 times
Can you really expect top notch maintenence with extremely late rent?

Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 AM

30,138 posts, read 23,530,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saynomoretaylor View Post
I have a lot of issues with an apartment that I'm renting. There's holes by the door where the mice are getting in and the back door is dry rotted. I owe my landlord 500 for this month which he will get in three days. My issue now is that I haven't had hot water in four days and my landlord refuses to address it. It's a private owner landlord. He said to me if I have issues just move. Ok I told him I was going up to city hall to report him to the building inspector because of this. Well he stated becaus I'm late paying him rent in the lease he doesn't have to take me to court to evict me he can do it right then and there. I told him he has to file with the court. Well a couple hours later I was sleep and the dog is barking I wake up to see what's going on, the landlord entered my apartment with his girlfriend and scared the hell out of me. He used his keys and I didn't tell him he could do that. Now could he do that? So we get into a screaming match where he's says if I don't have his rent by the end of june he's coming back and throwing me out, now can he do that? My main concern is can he use keys to enter into my apartment like that while I'm sleeping? I had no knowledge that he was even coming and with his girlfriend and I still don't have hot water?
Help me with this so I know what to do.
He is not legally allowed to enter your apartment without a 24 hour notice. No landlord in any state can just waltz in whenever they feel like it, it doesn't matter if your rent is late or not.

No, the landlord can NOT just come in and "toss you out". He has to go to court. What he knows is that the eviction process can be lengthy enough that it will give you up to 3 months to continue to live there without paying rent. Course, that's going to make your life harder down the line, so you don't want an eviction come up on any background/credit checks.

Despite your rent being late, the landlord must fix issues that are pertinent to tenant having livable quarters. You not having hot water is something he has to fix regardless of your rent being late.

You also need to pay whatever late fee that you two agreed upon when you rented the place.

My questions for you are:

Did you inform your landlord ahead of time that you would be late on the rent? MOST of them are pretty cool if you at least communicate with them and are not habitually late on the rent.

Is this your first time ever being late on the rent?

How long have you lived in this apartment?

You need to look for a tenant's association or group in your city who will help you deal with the illegal things this landlord is doing...and he is doing illegal things. Being late on rent is not good nor wise, but it's not illegal and sometimes things happen. That does not give him ANY excuse to do illegal acts, regardless of what anyone on here thinks about that.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:02 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,088,757 times
Where are you living for $500/month?? That sounds sketchy to begin with.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:44 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,519,387 times
. If he didn't give notice of entry and Just entered, (especially without ringing the bell) you probably could a restraining order against him. Download a copy of tenant rights, say you were in fear of you life, have him arrested. Judges don't take kindly to people who enter illegally. If you can record him saying he's going to throw your stuff out. Play it for the cops. Say you are in fear of your life. You could say you witheld the portion of the rent because there is no hot water, mark all those days on a calendar. I'm sure it would not go over good in the court if you have proof he entered illegally. worse if he starts throwing your stuff out.
If he's intransigent and refuses to negotiate, stay there as long as you can. They can file for eviction the first day of the second month the rent is late, it then takes over 30days to force an eviction notice. Your landlord can sue you for rent every day you are there, but then he'd gotta go to court to do it.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:11 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,297,533 times
Default Read Your Lease!

Here's an idea: Try reading your lease. It should answer most of your questions.

Most leases have a clause in them similar to this:
ENTRY BY LANDLORD. Upon reasonable notice, the Landlord may enter the Apartment to provide services, inspect, repair, improve or show it.
• The Tenant must notify Landlord if the Tenant will be away for ten days or more.
• In case of emergency orTenant's absence, the Landlord may enter the Apartment without the Tenant's consent.
• Reasonable notice is hereby agreed to be one hour's notice between the hours of 8 A.M. and 9 P.M.
•
Tenant agrees to allow access to Landlord and/or pest control service personnel during regularly scheduled pest control treatments. If Tenant is not home when service personnel arrive, Tenant grants permission for said personnel to use Landlord's key to access apartment.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,200,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
. If he didn't give notice of entry and Just entered, (especially without ringing the bell) you probably could a restraining order against him. Download a copy of tenant rights, say you were in fear of you life, have him arrested. Judges don't take kindly to people who enter illegally. If you can record him saying he's going to throw your stuff out. Play it for the cops. Say you are in fear of your life. You could say you witheld the portion of the rent because there is no hot water, mark all those days on a calendar. I'm sure it would not go over good in the court if you have proof he entered illegally. worse if he starts throwing your stuff out.
If he's intransigent and refuses to negotiate, stay there as long as you can. They can file for eviction the first day of the second month the rent is late, it then takes over 30days to force an eviction notice. Your landlord can sue you for rent every day you are there, but then he'd gotta go to court to do it.
Judges also don't take kindly to falsifying info nor lying in order to get restraining order/ arrest....especially with someone who hasn't paid rent.

Pay your rest ASAP & then move. Problem solved.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,577,144 times
OP hasn't resurfaced. I'm guessing an illegal apartment with 500 rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: