Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,405 times

Advertisements

hello all,
we are looking at the schools in princeton for an upcoming move, and see that there are four public elementary schools: Community Park, Johnson Park, Littlebrook, and Riverside. Of the neighborhoods these serve, it looks like the Littlebrook and Riverside neighborhoods would be most convenient for our family with respect to commute and other issues (friends in the area, etc), and i am wondering which of the two schools is considered "better," if we had to choose. thank you for any input you can offer; i hope everyone is doing well!
qh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM

92 posts, read 344,878 times
Go for the better house rather than the elementary school. I don't think the choice of elementary school is going to make or break your kid's chance at an Ivy League school.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phl76 View Post
Go for the better house rather than the elementary school. I don't think the choice of elementary school is going to make or break your kid's chance at an Ivy League school.
LOL +rep

Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM

70 posts, read 278,236 times
Riverside and Littlebrook are both supposed to be absolutely wonderful schools from what I have heard. I don't have any first hand knowledge. We are house hunting in Princeton as well and had the same question. From asking around, it sounds like they are all wonderful schools, but Community Park might be slightly weaker than the other 3 because it includes a larger share of the economically disadvantaged kids. Also, the borough and township are merging and no one has been able to tell us if the elementary school districts will change as a result. It's probably not an issue for Littlebrook or Riverside since those neighborhoods are pretty clearly defined, but you never know...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,706 times
It's only elementary school! Lol. The districts shouldn't change as the township and borough were already sharing those schools before the consolidation. There shouldn't be any changes in the Princeton Regional school district because of the consolidation. Good Luck with your search, Princeton is an awesome town to raise a family.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 AM

13 posts, read 26,532 times
Hi quikhands, are you still around city-data? We are having the same discussion in our home right now and I'm curious where you ended up, and what thoughts you may have now? We have sort of zeroed in on Littlebrook area but still looking at Riverside, too (and Cranbury). We're picking the school before the house, and always have, because we want them to love learning and to get actual help when they need it (one son has high IQ but is profoundly dyslexic). Don't care about test scores or Ivies, just quality of teaching and caring attitude. We picked our last home based on the school it attended and could not be happier - amazing teachers, amazing principal who cares and makes it all happen, knows all 450 kids and cares that each one is doing well. Anyway... you are not alone! Would love an update on how your house hunt turned out and what you think now of the schools in the area. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:47 AM

255 posts, read 455,459 times
There's little guarantee the principal will be there for the length of the child's stay at a school. More nonsensical handwringing.

It's Princeton - I'm sure all the schools are just fine.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:26 AM

The culture created by a principal who actually cares about his/her kids and cares about his/her job, does trickle down, even if they leave at some point. Our current school has the highest retention rate of good teachers in our state (you know, the ones who really TEACH well), and the highest job satisfaction level, and that shows in everything that goes on at our school. The parents likewise care about what their kids are learning and how it is being taught (e.g. prioritizing critical thinking skills vs simple memorization). We have made good friends here with the hub of our neighborhood as our local elementary. Why are you trying to discourage people from prioritizing their kids' education and learning environment? Why even wade into this if you disagree? I was letting OP know I agree with her/him and to ask where THEY ended up since we are on the same wavelength. This post has nothing to do with you and your response adds nothing to the discussion. Have a great day.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:57 AM

255 posts, read 455,459 times
Then ignore what I said. This is a public forum and I'll continue to comment if and when I see fit.

You could have just moved on from my remark instead of wasting your valuable time with a long-winded rant since you're apparently intolerant of an opinion that's different from yours.

Last edited by NJpoliticiansarecrooks; 06-30-2016 at 07:28 AM..

Old 06-30-2016, 07:40 AM

Do you even realize how incredibly insulting you are when anonymously sharing opinion, while accusing people of "nonsensical handwringing" and "long-winded rants" for sharing their own? "I'm sure it's fine" is just not how I make major life decisions and I don't think it's a bad thing to consider all available facts. Here's the deal: I have three elementary-aged children with vastly different educational needs, including one in special ed due to profound dyslexia; I'd like to know that I'm putting them into an environment that will work for all of them, and where my eight year-old won't be written off into a corner because even with a high IQ and an IEP to help teach to his disability, his reading will never be good enough to hold up their Language Arts test scores (and yes there LOTS of supposedly great schools with that culture, of which group I attended one, and it was ugly for many kids). Your insulting characterization of my attempts was unnecessary and unkind, so yes, I did take the time to respond, in hopes that you might consider someone else's experience and POV before you attack. Having a child with neurological problems is HARD and we do the best we can for him and his siblings, with all of the info at our disposal. I won't waste your time responding again, though, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey