Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:22 PM

27 posts, read 56,735 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move from south jersey closer to NYC but still plan on living in NJ. I'm a single male who would be living alone with a budget of $1150 for a one bedroom, two if possible. I saw that Elizabeth is quite close to NY with NJ Transit access to the city. The apartments I had in mind were Pineda Apartments and Imperial House..does anyone have any info on these apartments or the area. More than anything i would like to be safe but i would like some feedback from people who live in Elizabeth or frequent Elizabeth. I see mixed reviews online and would really appreciate some info. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 03:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
You should probably avoid Elizabeth unless you're planning on living in the Elmora section. High crime and lots of gang activity in the city.

I'd recommend Rahway and Linden before Elizabeth. Both more "urban" in the sense that they have a lot of apartment complexes and are more gritty, and on the same train lines as Elizabeth, actually two and one stops further away respectfully, so direct access to NYC.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback Jerseygirl it is much appreciated, it just baffles me that with regards to reviews online the apartments themselves..they seem to be getting really good reviews especially related to safety.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM

19,034 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allhappydays View Post
it just baffles me that with regards to reviews online the apartments themselves..they seem to be getting really good reviews especially related to safety.

In case you weren't aware of it, there is actually an industry of sorts, consisting of paid (shill) reviewers who post fictional and consistently positive reviews of...products...apartment buildings...services, etc.
If you see consistently wonderful reviews of anything online, it is time for you to start being skeptical.

Caveat emptor!

Old 06-26-2016, 04:31 PM

i wasn't aware but am very happy you commented, thanks

Old 06-26-2016, 08:59 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,877,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allhappydays View Post
Thanks for the feedback Jerseygirl it is much appreciated, it just baffles me that with regards to reviews online the apartments themselves..they seem to be getting really good reviews especially related to safety.
You're welcome. I can't speak for specific buildings, only the city in general and certain areas. It's possible that the apartment building is well-secured, while the area its in or an adjacent one is not so great.

I don't know much about specific Elizabeth neighborhoods. I know Downtown is pretty bad. I know Elmora Hills is good. But the city as a whole does have a lot of crime and a gang problem. So I would honestly advise people to avoid it, unless you can live in Elmora or other decent areas others may be able to suggest.

Like I said, look into Linden or Rahway. Maybe even Hudson County if it's in your budget - even closer to the city. In Hudson County you could look into the better areas of Jersey City (I'm not an expert on Jersey City but I know for a fact there are good areas), Harrison, Hoboken (if you can find something affordable).

I just personally would never live in Elizabeth.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:53 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,585,278 times
There are these great apartments in Linden which are two blocks from the train station and close to downtown on E Elizabeth Ave that I recommend. They're called the Linden Court Manor. Very clean and safe.
I'm not allowed to post links here so just Google them.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:11 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
Everyone including George Washington and Christopher Columbus (lol) is from or has been thru Elizabeth.
I myself, in this lifetime marched through there in 1966 which was to commemorate the 300th year anniversary of Elizabeth in 1666.
Some of us probably where there or nearby in 1666 and before in different lives.
Very steeped in early North American history. Dont know much about those 2 places but as you go further say into Rahway you have cooler and newer apts close to train stations coming on line. Both existing ones and newer ones being built.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times
I have been to Elizabeth many times. It seems safe at least during the day. Sure some parts are gritty but I don't feel unsafe when I am there. I asked about the Elizabeth Avenue area on this website and a poster says it is not so bad there. I would avoid the Jefferson Park area and ElizabethPort though.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 PM

thanks everyone i really appreciate the feedback!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey