Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2016, 03:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times

Advertisements

Thinking about going down to the shore for a couple of days July 4th (this) weekend.

I want a place that has a pretty decent boardwalk, but I don't have any kids. Two adults in their 30s/40s walking around and lounging/reading on the beach, walking the boardwalk, eating and doing some laidback drinking at least one of the nights.

I'm coming from Edison and I was wondering if it is worth it to drive the extra distance to Wildwood on July 4th weekend over Point Pleasant?

Does Pt. Pleasant have enough to do for 1-2 days even? Does Wildwood even?

I know Wildwood has a bunch of extra stuff, but isn't most of that for kids?

Was thinking of OC too, but it's so close to AC and I've been there so many times. Can't imagine it's too good, but then, I know nothing.

Ideally a place that has a full day of adult (non-drinking) activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I know that in Wildwood you can rent jet skis to ride on the bay. You can probably do the same in or near the other towns as well. You can go crabbing down the shore. If you go to Wildwood you can take a trip to Cape May to enjoy the restaurants, downtown, and just the quaint atmosphere. Not sure how into rides you guys are if at all but Wildwood definitely has the most rides and best rides for adults out of the three. They have a ton of piers with rides on them.

Keep in mind Ocean City is a dry town, but that will also make it the tamest and most family friendly out of the three. Wildwood is what I would describe as kind of rowdy, especially later at night, and Point Pleasant less so because it's more family oriented but still has a big drinking culture amongst visitors. Martells Tiki Bar is very popular and crowded, along with others.

IMHO the Wildwood boardwalk probably has the most going on for adults and in general. It's huge, it's busy. Haven't been in a while so I don't know the quality or even what's really down there anymore but the amusement complex down there is pretty extensive with the boardwalk, piers, all the rides and games and water parks. They have the tram car that will take you up and down the boardwalk ("watch the tram car please" is what it used to blare from the speakers at least, I'm sure it still does). Cape May being so close by is a huge draw for me personally.

I haven't been to Ocean City so I don't know anything about the nature of the boardwalk or anything other than I've heard it's quieter and very family friendly because it's a dry town.

Point Pleasant has a smaller boardwalk and largely kiddy rides all with a kid friendly vibe, except for the bars of course.

All will be extremely busy this weekend.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:01 PM

17 posts, read 27,056 times
If you are willing to drive to Wildwood then I too would recommend Cape May. For your age range it is certainly more ideal. You won't have to deal with hoards of teenagers & college students for example. It's very walkable & tourist friendly. While there isn't s boardwalk in the traditional sense there are several gift shops & restaurants along the beach. The Washington St Mall is about 3 blocks from the beach. It's an outdoor mall, very similar to a boardwalk but much nicer.

I liked Cape May for its charm & beautful colonials. We stayed at a B&B and went whale watching, visited Sunset Beach (stunning please Google) on a haunted Cape May night bus tour, to several restaurants along the beach and on the Washigton St Mall. There was always something to do!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
I thought of Cape May too, but the hotel/B&B are all booked and/or very expensive. Wildwood still has a few that are somewhat reasonable.

A day trip might be possible.

So, the sentiment is that Point Pleasant is pretty lame except for the beach and a few bars. Ok...

Old 06-29-2016, 05:27 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
I have been to all three, holiday weekends get very busy at shore and I usually avoid due to crowds, but I would say ocean city would be best for family and not encountering rowdy drunks, it has a smaller boardwalk and a nice beach, movie theatre, but probably more to do in wildwood, pt pleasant is good but not a whole lot going on, its good for north jersey people going for day trips since its closer to north jersey.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:36 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
I would go for the Diamond Beach area of Wildwood Crest. Private beach, affordable, nice, easy access to both Wildwood boardwalk and Cape May.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:09 AM

142 posts, read 387,821 times
Point Pleasant boardwalk is alot smaller than Ocean City or Wildwood. It doesn't take very long to walk the entire length. I agree there isn't as much going on compared to O.C. and Wildwood.

As mentioned, Ocean City is a dry town with no bars. But I feel its the best quality boardwalk on the Jersey Shore. By far the best option for families with kids, or for adults looking to avoid the party crowd.

Wildwood has a great boardwalk with lots of attractions. It can get a little rowdy around some of the bars at night, but overall its a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey