Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 09:09 PM

351 posts, read 482,125 times

Advertisements

GIYF.

"The presence of high-voltage power lines near a property has long been a bane of real estate agents. Not only are most power lines unsightly and sometimes noisy, but also they can raise a number of safety concerns among buyers related to the risk of electrocution and rumors that exposure to electromagnetic fields can cause a variety of diseases, including cancer. These drawbacks have translated into consistently lower property values for homes near power lines"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:37 PM

465 posts, read 607,122 times
Have you not seen Poltergeist?

Old 08-23-2016, 09:38 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
I was under the impression that the notion that power lines cause cancer was long ago dispelled. If this is indeed true, I hope the home I someday buy is near a power line if it means saving me a substantial sum on my purchase. I've never been near a "noisy" power line and I don't see how they're any more unsightly than say, a traffic light.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I was under the impression that the notion that power lines cause cancer was long ago dispelled. If this is indeed true, I hope the home I someday buy is near a power line if it means saving me a substantial sum on my purchase. I've never been near a "noisy" power line and I don't see how they're any more unsightly than say, a traffic light.
High Voltage power lines are ugly and MANY people still think they can cause cancer or other health problems, especially when they run through your backyard. Livingston is a Whole Foods crowd. How many organic artisan moms are not going to talk behind the homeowners back about not wanting to send their kids to play over at this house? How many jokes is the homeowner and family going to face about living under power lines as a kid? Coupled with the busy street and the fact that this really is a 2K sqft house with a detached garage conversion and you get to your "discounted price".

Old 08-24-2016, 07:37 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,634,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
High Voltage power lines are ugly and MANY people still think they can cause cancer or other health problems, especially when they run through your backyard. Livingston is a Whole Foods crowd. How many organic artisan moms are not going to talk behind the homeowners back about not wanting to send their kids to play over at this house? How many jokes is the homeowner and family going to face about living under power lines as a kid? Coupled with the busy street and the fact that this really is a 2K sqft house with a detached garage conversion and you get to your "discounted price".

The idea of this even being a minor concern in laughable to me. I guess our upbringings are different. But to be fair, maybe you're right. People looking for a home in Livingston probably have different "problems" than your average joe.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:51 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
The idea of this even being a minor concern in laughable to me. I guess our upbringings are different. But to be fair, maybe you're right. People looking for a home in Livingston probably have different "problems" than your average joe.
i didn't say it wasn't silly, it is. It's also shallow, nonsensical, and callous but so are many things that go on in the sewing circle of privileged NJ suburban life. You are not alone, there is a buyer out there for this house it just wouldn't be me.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Actually I heard they have stricter guidelines for power lines in Europe than we do in the USA.
Now about paying $545K for a house,,,,yikes, last time I bought a house, in NJ, it was about $75K and had over an acre of land in Morris County. What I mean is darn prices $545k doesnt some cheap nor low end to this kid

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Now about paying $545K for a house,,,,yikes, last time I bought a house, in NJ, it was about $75K and had over an acre of land in Morris County. What I mean is darn prices $545k doesnt some cheap nor low end to this kid
And when was that, 1982?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:54 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,206,528 times
It's a weird setup with the detached garage partially converted to living space (probably illegally), on a small lot, backing onto the high-tension lines. The back yard is visible from Hillside. It also has a pool which is not always a positive in NJ.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM

728 posts, read 1,965,283 times
There is probably nothing wrong with high tension power lines but personally I would not want to live with them in my backyard or adjacent to my property. I'm not an expert on Livingston but i would think your budget could get you something very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey