U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 06:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,497 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I found it actually through a Google search.

My situation is that I am interviewing for work around the New Brunswick, NJ area (and some work a little farther north but not too much farther north)this coming week, and I believe it to be highly likely that I will be re-locating if I land one of the jobs I am interviewing for.

I am from the Philadelphia, PA area, and honestly do not know a terrible amount about the New Brunswick and surrounding areas north nearing New York.

I am looking for an area where I can be close to work and not too far from my friends and family in Philadelphia. All things considered though, that's the "Perfect world" for me, I will ultimately go where I can be close to work and find a place that is decent and the price is right.

I am looking specifically for a nice, clean area where I can find a decent 1 bedroom condo in the $150-$160k range. Is this a pipe dream, or do I have some options here? I'd appreciate tremendously any general locations or areas that anyone could suggest to me that would be worth me looking into and reaching out to realtors.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 07:01 PM

387 posts, read 1,363,532 times
If your young or single... Why not live in New Brunswick? Considered one of the best cities for singles, and is also one of the youngest median age towns too. Lot of nice bars, restaurants etc. Not waaaay too expensive. If you have a family maybe a little further south you can find a nice condo in South Brunswick.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Thank you for the quick response, much appreciated.

I'm single, and that makes New Brunswick sound like a good choice to me.

I'm not looking for absolute paradise or anything, just a nice area to live. Am I dreaming for a 1 bedroom condo around New Brunswick for the $150-$160k range, as I am looking to purchase? Also, are there a lot of condominium-type complexes in the area? I looked on Craigs List to get a preliminary feel, but didn't see alot in terms of 1 bedroom condo's in that area.

Let me know, as I'll start to concentrate my search there and look into realtor's if Craigslist doesn't help very much.

Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:58 PM

531 posts, read 2,042,559 times
150-160k for a 1 bedroom condo is not something you'll have an easy time finding in this area. Perhaps you should consider renting for a while? I live in Piscataway which is the town north of NB. This is a nice, quiet and somewhat boring (ok, very boring) suburban community. Classic bedroom suburb, all you can do here is sleep and eat at Crapplebee's. I'd recommend it if you were into that.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:43 PM

Bump to the top.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,312,409 times
Yeah I understand that your probably just looking for a starter one bedroom type condo, simple no frills etc. in a relatively safe area. Problem is with the price your targeting I don't think you'll find that even in an unsafe neighborhood. Your best bet really is to rent for awhile (maybe a room to cut expenses?) to get a feel for an area, save your money to eventually buy what you want. I'm sorry; the feedback must be very frustrating to hear. Good Luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:54 PM

514 posts, read 1,574,085 times
Try this link, they are all in Edison which is about 15 minutes north of New Brunswick.
Edison, NJ, Real Estate Listings and Edison, NJ Condo/Townhouse/Co-Op for Sale - Realtor.com

Old 02-18-2008, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,444 times
If I were you, I'll stay where I am. It's getting too expensive to survive in New Jersey. If the salary offer is quite substantial, then you can afford to take the amtrak or commute. I used to know a lot of people working at the Trade Center ( God bless thei souls) and they commute from philly, They use to tell me the commute is not that bad, you get to know the people you ride with. I don't know what part of New Brunswick you would like to reside, but Rt.1 gets congested as well same with rt 287. If you still insist, Apartment in new jsersey is not cheap. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:10 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,645,503 times
You should look in Edison, which is right next to New Brunswick. New Brunswick is being redeveloped and the new condos are expensive.

Last edited by Busch Boy; 02-18-2008 at 11:29 PM..

Old 02-19-2008, 06:19 AM

11 posts, read 32,916 times
I used to live in New Brunswick and it's a great town. I have many friends who still live there. That said, housing can be a bit of a beast. The "condos" that you're thinking about run upwards of $350k (conservatively). You may be able to find a one bedroom rental in Highland Park (the town over the river - very walkable to New Brunswick and very safe) for $800-900/mo. There are apartment complexes and subdivided houses where you may be able to find an efficiency. The university can make finding a place a bit of a race, particularly in June or Sept (when most leases tend to turn over). But the college kids are usually renting out multi-room apartments or houses. I love the area but it's not inexpensive. Even the surrounding towns can be pricey. There's Edison (very congested from a traffic perspective) and North Brunswick. It's less of a young scene in those towns. So if you're not opposed to renting, I'd recommend renting until you get a better feel for the area and the offerings. As far as a condo for $150k in NJ, you'll have to go to south Jersey - at least an hour, if not more, south of New Brunswick.

Good luck. It's a great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey