Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 05:13 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The extremely obvious answer is...at home!

If somebody claims to be low on funds, and is asking about restaurants, then I believe that a re-ordering of priorities is called for.
No matter what type of restaurants somebody might suggest, the bottom line is that you can definitely eat for a lot less money by buying the ingredients and preparing your own food at home.
This, and then some. You can save a great deal of money by preparing meals at home. I've made it a habit of making one-pot meals like chicken and dumplings or jambalaya and stretching it out for a few days for lunch, then at the end of the week I have the option of treating myself to a very good lunch (and will still have saved money in the long run). Add some grapes or cut up melon or watermelon and some sautéed spinach and you can have a substantial, balanced lunch and still save overall.

Great advice from Retriever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 05:17 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,151,144 times
There's an Aldi's in Jax too (southside) so keep that in mind if and when you do come down here. Most things cost the same if not more in NE Florida. Publix (and Winn Dixie to lesser extent) are somewhat like A&P (ie. overpriced) so you really have to take advantage of the weekly buy 1 get 1 free offers.

May not be relevant for you but our car insurance, home insurance, pest control all went up. What went down significantly for us: property taxes, home price, day care and no state income taxes.

If you plan on bringing your car, it costs $400 to register + $50 for Florida driver's license.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
There's an Aldi's in Jax too (southside) so keep that in mind if and when you do come down here. Most things cost the same if not more in NE Florida. Publix (and Winn Dixie to lesser extent) are somewhat like A&P (ie. overpriced) so you really have to take advantage of the weekly buy 1 get 1 free offers.

May not be relevant for you but our car insurance, home insurance, pest control all went up. What went down significantly for us: property taxes, home price, day care and no state income taxes.

If you plan on bringing your car, it costs $400 to register + $50 for Florida driver's license.
i always thought of Publix as kind of Wegmans but at Whoel foods prices- clean, good selection, good prepared foods, but higher prices...

Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
i always thought of Publix as kind of Wegmans but at Whoel foods prices- clean, good selection, good prepared foods, but higher prices...
Yep, pretty much. Although I still think Wegman's is a couple of notches above Publix.

And Winn-Dixie? I always called them the "Pathmark of the South". They do have cheap booze and smokes though.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:27 PM

79 posts, read 95,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Yep, pretty much. Although I still think Wegman's is a couple of notches above Publix.

And Winn-Dixie? I always called them the "Pathmark of the South". They do have cheap booze and smokes though.
Winn-Dixie had good but real expensive meat. Publix kicked ass.

Weird stuff in Aldi. Publix had good prices.

I remember them being in various directions from where I was at.. University Blvd S (not University Blvd) and Beach Blvd. Jacksonville is a big place.

Jacksonville is also a speed trap but oddly I never had an issue with that. I just know how to drive, and you dont drive fast where a cop might be or you just arent sure... lol. Flow Of Traffic.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
Weird stuff in Aldi.
aldi has become my primary supermarket. i fill in the rest with costco and shoprite. im not sure what you mean by "weird stuff." most products are branded with an aldi brand but they are basically normal stuff just not brands you would see elsewhere. sometimes they have some european stuff thrown in but nothing too crazy.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:44 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
I tried the aldi in east Rutherford, I found it has mostly brands I never heard of, kinda turned me off because I start thinking dollar store, made in china stuff, I know it is probably good but I never went back.

I found shop-rite is the cheapest supermarket around, also if you follow the sales, use a occasional coupon, it's a good place to shop.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:39 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Mickie Dees, 2 cheeseburgers from the dollar menu. Your own container of water. $2.14 with tax.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:03 AM

88,568 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Rice and beans, cheapest of all.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:06 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rice and beans, cheapest of all.

...and definitely a healthier option than the fare served at fast food joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey