Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:46 AM

491 posts, read 373,349 times

Advertisements

I find it strange, as NJ has so many different people of different heritage, yet most TV shows about NJ like Jersey Shore, Sopranos and housewives are soley about Italians.

When I go to California and say I came from Jersey, they ask me stereotypical questions and find it's often the butt of so many jokes. Is this all the media's fault? There are so many beautiful things about NJ, that you never see in media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
I find it strange, as NJ has so many different people of different heritage, yet most TV shows about NJ like Jersey Shore, Sopranos and housewives are soley about Italians.

When I go to California and say I came from Jersey, they ask me stereotypical questions and find it's often the butt of so many jokes. Is this all the media's fault? There are so many beautiful things about NJ, that you never see in media.
The media does help shape people's perceptions of places, yes. TV and movies as well though one could argue they fall under the same umbrella as "the media." NJ historically (since immigration boom from about 1880-1920) and still today has had a significant population of Italian Americans. So does the Northeast in general but NJ, CT, and RI I believe are top 3 states (perhaps not in that order, I would have to look it up) for most Italian Americans. We have many towns that are among the top say 25-100 in the nation with the most Italian Americans, have a high population of Italian speakers, etc. Lots of Italian food and overall cultural influence. So I guess the media and entertainment industries capitalize on this, with the Italian American stereotyping and the mafia and such and like to portray NJ as an area with lots of Italians (which it is) but like to play up the stupid stereotypes and the accents and the tightness of family and loyalty and stuff like that.

There is nothing wrong with this per se. The issue lies with ignorant people who see things, believe it all, don't know any better, and don't bother to learn.

My least favorite thing about Jersey Shore was that most cast members (like Snooki, by far the most famous) were actually from New York, and some had never been to the Jersey Shore before, yet they tried to portray these people and what they did and the very general "Jersey Shore" as typical NJ residents who do those typical things down the shore. They should have called that show "Seaside Heights" because unfortunately now most people don't know that the whole Jersey coast isn't like Seaside Heights, from development to boardwalk to looks to how people behave. They see "Jersey Shore," the name of the show which is also what we happen to call our whole coast since probably as long as NJ has been a state, and assume the whole coast is like that, looks like that, is that party oriented, etc. That's what's such a shame, that people don't bother to learn otherwise and just rely so heavily on what they are told by the media.

It would be like me assuming all of CA is like the glamor and apparent perfectness and weather of LA and Hollywood, and everyone is pretty and rich and quite a few are famous. The beaches are perfect and the whole state is like that. Well, I'm educated enough to know it's not, and that in reality CA beaches aren't even particularly nice other than scenery, and the water is cold even in San Diego in the height of summer compared to here and especially compared to further south along the East Coast. In reality CA has dry, empty desert areas and northern CA is different than southern CA in look and environment, and there's plenty of poverty and it's an expensive place to be. There's a water shortage, frequent fires and droughts, and it's not the paradise it's portrayed to be though of course some areas are very great and desirable. Well, NJ isn't the sh*thole with so many Italian residents who are trashy and/or in the mafia that it's portrayed to be.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 07-11-2016 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 01:31 PM

880 posts, read 1,245,727 times
Be thankful; people out there don't even know about 1/10th of our problems.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,604,784 times
There's a Jewish woman on RHONJ this season. Don't ask how I know this.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:38 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,600,427 times
I don't know the cast but are you sure they are Italian?

The trashy Italian stereotype is what the mass public expects from NJ and we can thank shows like Jersey Shore for that. Some of the Jersey Shore cast members were not even fully Italian themselves.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
I don't know the cast but are you sure they are Italian?

The trashy Italian stereotype is what the mass public expects from NJ and we can thank shows like Jersey Shore for that. Some of the Jersey Shore cast members were not even fully Italian themselves.
Yup. Snooki is adopted from Chile. Granted she was adopted by an Italian family from New York but she was born in Chile and is South American. And you can tell - her kids, daughter in particular IMO, look very Hispanic, which is funny because I'm pretty sure her husband is at least part Italian American.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:47 AM

8,634 posts, read 11,001,900 times
When I travel on business, people ask if I get mugged in NYC regularly..or raping common in Central Park.

I once asked if its common to see camels in Egypt. A mutual friend was a bit offended & blamed American media.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:15 PM

491 posts, read 373,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
When I travel on business, people ask if I get mugged in NYC regularly..or raping common in Central Park.

I once asked if its common to see camels in Egypt. A mutual friend was a bit offended & blamed American media.
i live in nyc, and have a weekend home in jersey. i travel to CA and it's interesting how different responses i get when i say i'm from nyc compared to nj. if i say i'm from nyc, it's like she sees someone sophisticated, and a big flashing dollar sign. if i say i'm from nj, it's the opposite and i get asked if i wear wife beater tshirts in the summer.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHaller73 View Post
i live in nyc, and have a weekend home in jersey. i travel to CA and it's interesting how different responses i get when i say i'm from nyc compared to nj. if i say i'm from nyc, it's like she sees someone sophisticated, and a big flashing dollar sign. if i say i'm from nj, it's the opposite and i get asked if i wear wife beater tshirts in the summer.
Just go back at them with good jabs. If you can't combat the stereotypes, at least get on their level so they see how it feels and how ridiculous it is.

I would have a ton of witty remarks saved in my mind to return to the lovely residents of the West.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:42 PM

414 posts, read 293,541 times
I can't tell you how many people I know across the country that base their opinion on what they see on TV, or via a connection through Newark Airport. Some have asked my why it is called the Garden State when there are no gardens.

I think of it this way...if you land in LA and stay in Compton, why would you assume the entire state is the same as Compton?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey