Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:45 AM

28 posts, read 25,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aria123 View Post
Well I live in Union City ( have lived in Jersey City/Hoboken ) and I commute to Grand Central

Pros of Union City:
Excellent connectivity using buses. ( You can sms the stop number and check when next bus will arrive)
Dosen't matter what time you return from NYC there is always a bus
Monthly pass around 100$ ( you can also take Jitneys if you miss NJ Transit Bus)

My Door to Door Commute is 45mins including walk to Grand Central

I pay 1900$ for very nice 1000Sqft 1 Bedroom Apt with free parking / SS Appl and even a dog run.
If you don't want a brand new apartment you can easily get something for even 1500 or less

Diversity ( Though mostly cuban ) in my Apt I have Indians/Blacks/White/Hispanic everyone

Cons:
Not as clean/nice as Hoboken/Jersey City
Very congested

Remember if you live in queens you need to pay 3.5% NY city Tax and that might be a lot as you said you are in IT

Also none of the apartments in Queens were as nice as Union City ones in the same price range

Frankly Speaking I do go to city often on the weekends its not that bad a drive barring 14$ toll

Hmmm sounds like union city might be a good option as well. My plan is to get a job first and then to look at apartments after so I know what I can afford and what I can't . I know a lot of people say it is more financial to actually live in jersey and work in New York ! And I would like to keep that 3.5% lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM

28 posts, read 25,493 times
[quote=HudsonCoNJ;44771642][quote=kxm9976;44769936]I don't know how buses are but the NJ trains and PATH trains weren't all that great during late hours and week-ends, when I used to commute to Newark and Jersey City for work. I would always end up taking a cab, and it's not exactly cheap, especially going from NYC to NJ. One big difference between NJ and NYC public transportation during off peak and week-ends that I noticed was that you really had to plan your time around NJ transportation, while in NYC there is always something going somewhere 24/7 in the next 5 minutes.

Also, let's not forget that JFK and LaGuardia are both located in Queens, making it super convenient for travel.

Quote:

As I mentioned, if you're going to Jersey late on a weekend, you can catch a jitney by Port Authority that goes either to Bergenline Ave or Blvd East. They are there ALL the time. All you have to do is wait for the little bus to fill up, which takes no longer than 5-10 mins.

You mean to tell me that the MTA trains run every 5 mins all the time? Even at 3:00 am on a Saturday? I find that highly unlikely.

Either choice he makes I'm sure he'll be fine, but the least we can do is give him all the facts so that he can make the most informed decision.

And by the way, there's an airport in NJ also.

I agree. It's gonna either be jersey or queens . Just tryna see where would be best since I do have a car and don't plan to give it up since I literally just got it for earlier this year . Starting to hear that jersey is better option since I do have a car.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 PM

20 posts, read 22,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
How to sms the stop number and check when next bus will arrive?

Bus monthly pass $100 is just for NJ transit bus, right? Can you use it for the Spanish bus?

How good is the government running is Union city and Overall NJ? Some corruption?

Moving to Union city soon.. Hope more diversity there.
Bus Pass is around 100$. ( You cannot use it for Spanish Bus ) Spanish Bus is 3$ cash.
The Mayor is Union City comes every Year to our building and he has fixed EVERYTHING which was asked for
I am not a citizen so I was amazed to see even side walks fixed lol.. But he cannot change habits of people living there as much as he wants to Its not as clean as surrounding towns.

Well about diversity--> Most of the people here are Spanish almost 80% but you can just drive 10 mins into Hoboken ( depending on where you live in Union City)

Old 07-18-2016, 04:49 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aria123 View Post
you can just drive 10 mins into Hoboken
Just don't expect to find a parking space when you get there!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:27 AM

12 posts, read 18,259 times
You're young so the Fort Lee area is probably too boring - but you can definitely find some older studios/1BR's/garden apartments in your price range. Like others have mentioned here, you'd have to take into account bus pass + metro card prices to commute into the city. Buses to midtown NYC are plentiful as are buses across the GWB to the 175th St. bus terminal (then transfer to the A train). All in - the commute is about 1 hr to midtown. Depending on the area of town, there's street parking (pick up a parking permit in town). Some of the older apartment buildings/complexes have their own lots.

The community is mostly older Italians/Jews (mostly moving out of town), Asians (a large Korean and growing Chinese population), and Hispanic. The downtown's undergoing a big transformation (The Modern apartment building and soon to open shopping/movie theater) and it's already drawn a sizable younger crowd up from the Edgewater/Weehawken River Road area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey