Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM

24 posts, read 38,692 times

Advertisements

Thinking we may want to be year round at the shore. Anyone along the coast between about Spring Lake to Lavallette? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNaples View Post
Thinking we may want to be year round at the shore. Anyone along the coast between about Spring Lake to Lavallette? Thank you.
Well, I don't live in a beach town but I have family living in PPB year round. They're very close to 35 and closer to the Manasquan River than the ocean. They enjoy it. Their favorite time of year is anytime that's not summer due to the shore traffic. PPB has a nice sense of community, at least for a family with kids. My aunt actually grew up in the town. They know quite a few people who live in beach/boardwalk front houses year round. It's definitely more of a town than just a summer beach town.

I think PPB is actually one of the few beach towns on the barrier islands I would live in all year. It has a nice downtown with well established and popular businesses and is easily accessible, with a bridge leading right into it, so I think it's a bit easier to live there year round. They also have their own school district, including a high school, that kids from many nearby beach towns attend so it's safe to say they have a decent year round population in Point Pleasant Beach.

I would not recommend Lavallete or an area nearby further down the island than Point like Mantoloking because there are fewer year round residents and I think being on the narrow barrier island is more restrictive. There is less going on in the off season, and it's straight up dead in some places unless it's summer. A lot of barrier island businesses close down. However, if you like the emptiness and don't mind it, then it may be for you. But in my experience many find the barrier island beach towns depressing in the winter. I know someone who grew up in Seaside Park and while she was used to the change from summer to winter, so it didn't bother her, she admitted it was dead in the winter and she had few friends as a kid because so few kids lived in Seaside. Most of her friends went to a mainland district and lived across the bay.

I recommend Manasquan for year round beach town living. Maybe Bay Head could work, Point Pleasant Borough also though it's not technically a beach town because it's not right on the ocean. Not sure of your budget but a town like Spring Lake would be nice for sure. I think Monmouth County beach towns are better for year round living because most towns are not on a barrier island like all Ocean County beach towns are. You're literally directly connected to the rest of the country, it's not some desolate ghost town in the winter like Seaside Park for example or anywhere on LBI is.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM

142 posts, read 385,924 times
I live in southern Monmouth county, just north of Spring Lake. Shore living has its pros and cons. In the off season, it is pretty quiet and mellow around here. During the summer with the influx of visitors it can get pretty congested in some areas and you have to deal with more traffic and crowds. But on the plus side, there are usually a good amount of events and stuff to do in the summertime. Obviously if you are into the beach, boating, fishing, etc. you will love it down here. Southern Monmouth county has a decent amount of nightlife and dining options in Asbury Park, Belmar, etc. I am not very familiar with Ocean county beach towns (Lavalette, etc.) so I cant really comment on those.

Last edited by TheDarkHorse; 07-15-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,635,880 times
Quote:
Yes. Did you have a question?

Old 07-29-2016, 11:44 AM

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments. Although I haven't been to the area in decades, all you described is as I thought and remembered it would be. I have great childhood summer memories of Lavallette but know I couldn't do it year round.

We are trying to familiarize ourselves with life at beaches north of PP. I think we would be at the ocean every day of the year. A boardwalk would be nice. However I'm scared to put all my money into one house in case another Sandy type storm comes along--have to worry about where we would go if totally wiped out.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:38 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,887,486 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful comments. Although I haven't been to the area in decades, all you described is as I thought and remembered it would be. I have great childhood summer memories of Lavallette but know I couldn't do it year round.

We are trying to familiarize ourselves with life at beaches north of PP. I think we would be at the ocean every day of the year. A boardwalk would be nice. However I'm scared to put all my money into one house in case another Sandy type storm comes along--have to worry about where we would go if totally wiped out.
The good thing about Monmouth County beach towns (north of PPB) is most aren't on barrier islands, but are completely connected to the rest of the state. No dealing with one or two bridges leading to the island and the traffic and feeling of disconnectedness that goes along with that. You can live blocks away from the beach, pretty much safe out of a flood zone, and still have easy beach access. You can even live in a town bordering a beach town but not directly on the ocean and still have very easy access to the beaches and all the amenities of a beach town. I have family living in Ocean, which borders Asbury Park, Deal, and Long Branch, and they are ten minutes from the beach and utilize it as much as possible. You don't necessarily have to live IN a beach town to have that access. Living in a bordering town will keep you safer during a storm and probably be a bit cheaper but you are still very close.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM

Default Beach clubs?

Thanks again. Living near a beach would be fine, but if you don't/can't join a beach club in these areas, isn't parking in the summer next to impossible?

How do you even apply to join a beach club? Do you have to be recommended? I don't see anything online about joining any or even putting one's name on the list.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:09 AM

901 posts, read 2,236,472 times
Quote:
Thanks again. Living near a beach would be fine, but if you don't/can't join a beach club in these areas, isn't parking in the summer next to impossible?

How do you even apply to join a beach club? Do you have to be recommended? I don't see anything online about joining any or even putting one's name on the list.
Beach clubs are a feature of northern Monmouth County (mostly Sea Bright). They are private and can range from $3,700 to $25,000 for a summer membership. Waiting lists can be as short as 2 years to get in one of the larger clubs. If you're interested drop by the club and fill out a application for membership.

If you live in Southern Monmouth it would be too far to make membership at one of the beach clubs up there worthwhile. In that case a season pass to Spring Lake, Sea Girt or Manasquan would be a good choice. Certainly not the exclusivity and perks of the beach clubs, but nicer, quieter and classier and other beaches in Southern Monmouth. So long as you get there before 10am you'll have no problems with parking (save a handful of weekend days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey