U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 02:38 PM

45 posts, read 241,374 times

Advertisements

We are currently under contract and I am applying for the C of O tomorrow. I am also applying for the fire safety inspection (smoke alarms etc). Oneof the new requirements is that a fire extinguisher must be mounted in the kitchen, not in a cabinet or out of sight. I don't mind supplying the required type, but mounting it? I have 3 boys, 2 of which have ADHD and I can guarantee they will mess it if they see it/can reach it. How strict are the inspectors about this? Thanks for an insight!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,338,582 times
They're very strict- you either have the extinguisher or you don't- plain and simple. I'd mount it to the wall in plain sight, and then hide the extinguisher from your boys until the inspector is due to come. Once he's gone and you're signed off, take it back out and put it away somewhere until the house closes.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:30 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,267,206 times
Yup when we bought our house Nov 06 it failed initial CO because of no extinguisher and failed the second time due to it being mounted in the wrong spot (i have no idea where it was just that it was wrong). Third time was the charm. As soon as we moved in I removed the bracket on the wall, spackled over the holes and painted. The extinguisher has been hiding in the cabinet under the sink ever since. Easy to get to as soon as you open the door, but out of sight.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:32 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,488,537 times
very strict, i HAD to mount it right there in the kitchen next to the basement door. didnt want to cause my son was so little and would go right under it. you dont want to waste precious time failing inspections.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 504,282 times
Is there is certain required for the inspection? How much does an extinguisher cost?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM

259 posts, read 876,609 times
They are very strict about that particular rule. When I bought my house and we went through the home inspection, there was a fire extinguisher right at the entrance of my kitchen. I asked why it was there and they explained that you wouldn't pass inspection unless it was in a visible spot. Fire extinguishers aren't very expensive. It's just an eyesore. After I moved in, I took it down and put it under the sink. When I sell, I'll put it back up.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM

97 posts, read 464,550 times
for us the town required a fire extinguisher in a cabinet in the kitchen, did not have to be mounted to the wall. i just did inspection at the end of march.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
yCf

106 posts, read 504,282 times
ooops, just saw that i missed a word in my post.
I actually wanted to ask is there a certain size that is required.
I saw there are 2.9 pounds ones in Lowes. Just wondering if that is big enough.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:54 PM

1,508 posts, read 5,677,905 times
Default There's more

No only does it have to be at the right height, but if better be the right TYPE of Fire Extinguisher. Even though it may say on the box "For Kitchen" every town has their own specific rules. I had to switch my fire extinguisher to get the CO & yes- it was in an obnoxious location which the new homeowners did not appreciate - but Rules are Rules.
Also, we were banged for the "Tip Guard" on the stove. Ever hear of that little charm? Who'da thought???

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM

687 posts, read 3,088,551 times
We needed the expensive one for all kinds of fires--I tried a cheapo one, but then realized it would be a no-go after looking at our town's requirements. We mounted ours inside our pantry, and luckily the inspector was super nice and let us slide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey