Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:57 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times

Advertisements

Stupid question I know.

But I googled it out of curiosity and well, Jenkinson's and LBI came up.

Just posting for more info,thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 04:45 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Stupid question I know. But I googled it out of curiosity and well, Jenkinson's and LBI came up.
Never seen any on LBI except the fake ones at the mini-golf courses The ones at Jenkinsons are real but they are obviously planted in the spring and then dug back up and stored in a greenhouse of some kind over the winter.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Sorry, I only patronize beaches with inflatable palm trees

Old 07-19-2016, 07:16 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
And only if they have flamingos, too.

Ocean Place (Resort & Spa) in Long Branch has palms on their property and the beach. The Sea Shell in Beach Haven has them on the property. It's beach front, but the dune was raised last year, so I'm not sure if you can still see them from the beach. Jenkinson's beach in Point Pleasant has palms on the beach.

Pier Village in Long Branch, too. The Tropicana in AC puts out palms every year. There must be dozens of places.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Frankly I think the palm tress they plant along the coast look stupid and pathetic. They're usually so small and short and spread out too much and I just don't like the look of it. But I have seen them in Point Pleasant Beach and Long Branch.

I much prefer dunes and dune grass to the imported palms.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 AM

880 posts, read 1,251,390 times
On some beaches in Florida everyone is from New Jersey, that'll be your only Jersey Shore/Palm Tree experience.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:47 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Frankly I think the palm tress they plant along the coast look stupid and pathetic. They're usually so small and short and spread out too much and I just don't like the look of it. But I have seen them in Point Pleasant Beach and Long Branch. I much prefer dunes and dune grass to the imported palms.
I've never seen them planted as an erosion control measure on a dune or anywhere near a dune. It wouldn't make sense since they could cause more erosion by virtue of the fact that they have to be dug up and brought into a greenhouse every winter. They're typically only planted outside of the public ROW (which the dunes are typically located within) on privately owned or leased land for ornamental purposes by places like Jenkinsons, trying to create an "island" atmosphere. That said, I prefer the beauty of the pitch pines, hudsonia, and dune grasses found in maritime forests in places like Island Beach.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
I've never seen them planted as an erosion control measure on a dune or anywhere near a dune. It wouldn't make sense since they could cause more erosion by virtue of the fact that they have to be dug up and brought into a greenhouse every winter. They're typically only planted outside of the public ROW (which the dunes are typically located within) on privately owned or leased land for ornamental purposes by places like Jenkinsons, trying to create an "island" atmosphere. That said, I prefer the beauty of the pitch pines, hudsonia, and dune grasses found in maritime forests in places like Island Beach.
I know. I think you misunderstood, I'm simply saying I like the more natural look of sand dunes than palm trees down the shore. I'd rather see dunes, which serve as a protective measure anyway so are more purposeful, than palm trees in some towns (like Long Branch and PPB). The palm trees are unnatural and die every winter anyway.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:13 AM

510 posts, read 500,123 times
I am assuming you're talking about naturally occurring palm trees. To the best of my knowledge there aren't any for the vast majority of the state. If they occur anywhere I would assume it would be the southern tip, but they probably don't look like the ones from the tropics.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 AM

610 posts, read 533,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Martell's Tiki Bar in Pont Pleasant Beach has them--if you like them red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey