Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 94,185 times

Advertisements

i am thinking about moving from Emerson NJ (Bergen County) to Bridgewater 'cause you basically get more bang for your buck for less money/taxes.....however I work in lower NYC (16th and 1st) and was wondering what the commute is like DRIVING to nyc.....I usually leave in off peak hours and mapquest says it is a 56 minute commute no traffic.....does anyone have any advice or tips on driving to nyc as a commute?

any info will be helpful thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 04:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Depends on exactly where in Bridgewater you are (how long it'll take to get to 78), but in general you're an hour +/- during off hours. Basically, you've got to make it to the Holland Tunnel by 6am or not until after 10am, or you'll add an extra 15-30 minutes to the commute. On the way out of NYC, you'd better be close to the tunnel by 3pm, or you may as well just stay at your desk until around 7. Anytime between 3 and 7 you could spend as much as 2 hours (in the summer) just trying to get through the tunnel, plus 78 will be a mess heading west.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 AM

hmmmm thanks....living in emerson it takes over an hour in the summer as well......I'll def. need narrow the area down, the problem is I don't know to much about Bridgewater and its areas..........

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,608 times
Lots of people in Bridgewater take the Raritan Valley line from either Bound Brook or Commerce ballpark in Bridgewater and switch to the Path in Newark for lower Manhatten.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Thats the way I'd go about it. I commute from High Bridge (last stop on the RVL), transfer at Newark. You could switch to the PATH, as mentioned, coming in to WTC. There are a good number of trains heading out that way, so that shouldn't be an issue. I personally couldn't deal with a drive in to NYC.

New Jersey Transit - Home

Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 AM

how would you explain the commute....bad, good, average, stressful....and how long is it approx. door to door.......also, what is the best place to look to live in bridgewater for an easy commute.....r there a lot of nyc commuters in bridgewater?

sorry for all the questions, but it seems you get a really great unbaise answers and advice from this forum.......

Old 02-19-2008, 08:16 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,667,895 times
Well I don't really remember what time I pull through Bridgewater, so its a bit of a guesstimate (I'm either reading or napping at that point ). I'd say its good, I work midtown, and it takes me about 2hrs 15 minutes door to door. From Westfield, it was about 1hr 15min door to door (I had a 20 minute walk in Westfield). You're looking at about an hour strictly on the train (not including getting to the station, or station to your office). I think taking the train is a significantly easier commute since you get to avoid the traffic, don't have to drive, can nap, write emails, do some paperwork, whatever. I've incorporated my train time into my work day.

There are a *ton* of NYC commuters in Bridgewater though.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
bfl

31 posts, read 138,463 times
Plus, there is the bus from Bedminster (or maybe Bernardsville) that goes to 42nd. Great commute. Catch up on much needed sleep. I think it is run by Laidlaw or Lake Land, one of the private bus lines it goes thru Summit and then Lincoln tunnel on the bus lane. From Summit, it is slightly less than an hour to the city.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,695 times
Plus you don't use the gas sitting in traffic. There's a whole lot less stress. I go to NYC quite often and the train ride from Bridgewater is great.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM

87 posts, read 388,236 times
I am about to move to Bridgewater, my closing is in couple of days. I work in midtown and I know that Cucullin, you said that you commute there as well. If I take the RVL, where would i switch for best times in newark and then travel on the path or should I go straight to Penn with a switch in newark?

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey