Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 PM

10 posts, read 42,804 times

Advertisements

I think Westfield and Princeton are great suggestions and places to live-- I love spending time in both places. But when I first think of charming, I think of a more upper middle class, not upper class..I'm not sure if that's the way it should be or not but when I think charming, I'd think more along the lines of Denville, Madison, Lake Mohawk/Sparta or Metuchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 AM

30 posts, read 110,386 times
Default How about the Jersey Shore?

How about the Jersey Shore? Barnegat for example is a small town filled with lots of old homes, it's an area with a lot of history. I can't say there's a lot of culture,because I find it to at times, be kind of a red-necky area, but it still has a small town feel for the most part.

Blondie

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 AM

276 posts, read 1,458,858 times
Having lived in Ridgewood, Moorestown, Princeton, and Cranbury, I's give Moorestown my vote for most charming town. It has a quaintness to it that the others are lacking. McMansions on the outskirts of town not withstanding, it's downtown is beautiful.

Ridgewood has grown too big to be considered "charming" (but a great downtown nonetheless). My husband used to say Ridgewood is Moorestown on steroids.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Dont go to extremes, Im not saying charming should be Elizabeth or Jersey City. Im just saying these two towns are wealthy, homogenous WASPY type towns. I guess theyre charming in a fantasy world, but a bit far from reality in my opinion. I get bad vibes just because I do not have the Philadelphia/S. Jersey accent and there is this strong anti-NY/North Jersey vibe down there (The vice versa does not happen in North Jersey). Many (not all) people in the wealthier pockets of south jersey are extremely conservative closet racists (Trust me I know) and are mostly indifferent to people living in poverty only 10 mins away. If I want a homogenous town, I'll go back to the old neighborhood where there is still real charm left.
What you're complaining about has nothing to do with diversity, and everything to do with people's attitudes. What you just said implies that mostly white towns are inherently racist, and homogeneous towns are unpleasant, or at least, not possible of being charming. That and they are a fantasy town that doesn't exist really, its on the map and you can drive through it, but they aren't really there.

Me? Westfield about 10-15 years ago. Before the mall stores.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 AM

230 posts, read 666,779 times
South NJ- Cape May
Spring Lake

Central NJ- Tewksbury
Far Hills
Chester

North NJ- Old Tappan
Demarest

Someone else has to help me out with far western NJ Hunterdon & Sussex counties as I am not as familiar with these areas.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:05 AM

49 posts, read 212,617 times
I live in Monmouth County, and I really love the "Two River" area - Red Bank, Little Silver, Rumson, Fair Haven.

I absolutely LOVE Princeton, though. I would move there in a second. I also really liked Lambertville.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:06 PM

226 posts, read 860,125 times
Clinton or Lambertville

Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Maplewood is so cute. Spring Lake is very nice as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 PM

16 posts, read 49,907 times
Ramsey is truely a picture perfect Norman Rockwell type town. It even has the sterio typical Main Street USA of it's own. go to you tube to check out some videos on it.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:36 AM

983 posts, read 2,774,128 times
Haddonfield
Moorestown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey