Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:00 AM

129 posts, read 150,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
If good schools are your highest priority then if you want NC move to (Wake County/Triangle area). Lots of jobs is bonus. If you decide NJ is it, forget about Ocean County and move to Monmouth. Get yourself a job and increase your household income
We have heard of the drug concerns in Ocean County, is your reasoning for suggesting Monmouth County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:23 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
We have heard of the drug concerns in Ocean County, is your reasoning for suggesting Monmouth County?
There isn't a lot of close to the beach options for up to 250K outside of Ocean County. The reason why the prices are lower are a few, long commutes to NY or Philly, lots of retirees, not many good paying jobs in the area. Brick, Toms River, Bayville are the 3 best towns close to the beach that will fit your budget in the northern/central part of Ocean County. Southern OC areas are Manahawkin, Barnegat, Lacey, Waretown. Anything below Manahawkin will put you in the rural, laidback areas. Drugs are everywhere.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Drugs are everywhere.
Yes, sadly, drugs are everywhere, but in some counties the problem is disproportionately high--relative to the size of the population--and Ocean County is an example of a county with a very significant opiate/opioid addiction problem. To a somewhat lesser extent, Monmouth County also has a significant opiate/opioid addiction problem.

Page 7 of this document from the State of NJ displays graphic evidence of this situation, and its geographic distribution:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...5ojFQ3-2g90Odg

Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,623,259 times
I'm not disputing numbers, Monmouth had roughly 6,000 admissions/ Ocean 6,500. I'm advising on the money the OP said she wants to spend about for a house 15/20 minutes from the beach with good/decent schools. If she said she had 500-750K to spend my advise would be different.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:05 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbuminAZ View Post
I'm suggesting Monmouth County because I've read the reports and rankings and I've done my research. For instance NJ Monthly Magazine does a biannual ranking/report on all the NJ public (non charter type) high schools, all 339 of them and ranks them 1st to worst. The latest report had 12 Monmouth County high schools in the top 100 (2 in top 10). Point Pleasant Boro and Beach were the only 2 from Ocean to make it in to the top 100 (83 and 98 respectively). Much of Ocean Co. H.S. made up the bottom 3rd.

Other resources such as Greatschools and Schooldigger tells the same story. I recommend you spend some time and do your own through research. I'm sure you will come to the same conclusion. Best of luck.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 862 times
Default Did you move

I would love to know what you ended up doing? My husband and I are in the same boat. Moved to AZ before kids, now have a 3 and 1 year old. We think we'll be better near family and having 4 seasons so the kids can enjoy.
The kicker is we both have jobs here with pensions. My husband can make double the NJ thou so the cost of living is not a problem, we will just have less money for fun stuff.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:03 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,225,147 times
You would get more responses creating a new thread instead of reactivating a five-year-old thread.

And I think you should move back to NJ. Better for the kids.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsaette12 View Post
I would love to know what you ended up doing? My husband and I are in the same boat. Moved to AZ before kids, now have a 3 and 1 year old. We think we'll be better near family and having 4 seasons so the kids can enjoy.
The kicker is we both have jobs here with pensions. My husband can make double the NJ thou so the cost of living is not a problem, we will just have less money for fun stuff.
I would honestly stay in Arizona the cost of living is spiking up here.

A new thread would of been better

Old 06-06-2021, 05:06 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsaette12 View Post

If you come back to the thread, most new people do not, I agree that you should make your own thread. Staying for the jobs and pension would be the number one reason I'd stay, plus houses have gone up. See what next year brings with prices.

Old 06-06-2021, 06:57 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
I *just* got back a couple days ago, and I look forward to leaving again.

Continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey