Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:14 AM

97 posts, read 310,830 times

Advertisements

I may be selling my place in Hudson County (long story, but it was not planned), and if I do so, I'm looking to buy a single family house. I currently work by Wall Street, so I would need a bus or train for my commute.

I'm looking to spend no more than $450K. I'm single, 39, with no kids, so schools are not an issue. I would like an active downtown, but I realize the further away from the city you go, the less active it gets.

I'm considering moving to Nutley and Rutherford and I'm trying to find the pros and cons of both. Are there other areas nearby I should consider looking into as well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 11:18 AM

516 posts, read 1,005,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
I may be selling my place in Hudson County (long story, but it was not planned), and if I do so, I'm looking to buy a single family house. I currently work by Wall Street, so I would need a bus or train for my commute.

I'm looking to spend no more than $450K. I'm single, 39, with no kids, so schools are not an issue. I would like an active downtown, but I realize the further away from the city you go, the less active it gets.

I'm considering moving to Nutley and Rutherford and I'm trying to find the pros and cons of both. Are there other areas nearby I should consider looking into as well?

Thanks!
The main difference between the two is train vs bus for commute. That's a deciding factor for most people... if you don't care about schools, then there are lots of other towns available to you in the area. You'd get more for your money in Lyndhurst than both of those towns, mostly because of the school factor.

Old 08-19-2016, 11:25 AM

229 posts, read 251,007 times
Ridgewood and a Montclair have the best downtowns in Bergen and Essex counties respectively. So that's where you'd look if a bustling downtown is your #1 priority. However, you won't like what $450k buys you in those towns - if it's even possible at all.

Between Nutley and Rutherford, the latter is your best bet. Rutherford has a nice downtown that's walkable from most parts of the town, and you have East Rutherford's downtown as a contiguous extension of that right next door. Rutherford additionally offers you a mix of single family homes, a good amount of mid-rise apartment buildings, and a semi-urban walkable feel as well. Lastly, Rutherford has a train station. Nutley does not. If you commute to Wall Street, it's a no-brainer which town to pick.

On the downside, both Nutley and Rutherford have high taxes - but Nutley's are worse, being in Essex County. Rutherford at least provides an excellent school district for the money. Nutley's schools are average at best. If you're an urban person who needs a single family house at a max budget of $450k, but doesn't want to have to drive to go out to eat or get a drink, and wants a quick commute to Manhattan by train, Rutherford is your pick. The big downside being your $450k house is going to come with a $13k tax bill to pay for other peoples' kids' educations.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 PM

380 posts, read 607,290 times
Serious question-if you are a single guy with no kids and looking for an active downtown, why not look in Hoboken or Jersey City? Even Weehawken and West NY are possibilities for you as they are close to other downtowns. Rutherford has very high taxes (even by Nj standards) and if you don't have kids, you won't reap much of the benefits of these taxes.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:21 PM

229 posts, read 251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
Serious question-if you are a single guy with no kids and looking for an active downtown, why not look in Hoboken or Jersey City? Even Weehawken and West NY are possibilities for you as they are close to other downtowns. Rutherford has very high taxes (even by Nj standards) and if you don't have kids, you won't reap much of the benefits of these taxes.
If you read the OP's post, he said he wanted a single family home at a budget of $450k. Where in Hoboken, Weehawken, West NY, or Jersey City do you propose he can find that?

Old 08-19-2016, 01:28 PM

380 posts, read 607,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-D View Post
If you read the OP's post, he said he wanted a single family home at a budget of $450k. Where in Hoboken, Weehawken, West NY, or Jersey City do you propose he can find that?
If we are limited to detached houses, it would be difficult to find. If townhouses and condos are included, then it's not a problem.

Even limited to detached homes, JC and Weehawken might still be possibilities.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 PM

152 posts, read 351,404 times
I was just in Rutherford & E Rutherford last month. It's a great area...the NJ transit line runs straight along the border between both towns. There are detached homes available in both if you look (check Zillow or other sites...I was surprised at what you can get for $450K). What will kill you are the $10,000/yr + taxes.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:53 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
East rutherford has low taxes. Lots of nice old houses with character. Area is safe. Elementary school is excellent but goes down hill after that but the op doesn't care about schools so my vote is for east rutherford

Old 08-20-2016, 09:49 AM

152 posts, read 351,404 times
Low taxes by New Jersey's outrageous standards, perhaps. . Single, 39 and no kids...there are definite economic benefits of renting over buying, even taking homeowner tax breaks into account. Not saying I wouldn't rule out buying. There is an allure to owning your own home and building up equity in it.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRider View Post
Low taxes by New Jersey's outrageous standards, perhaps. . Single, 39 and no kids...there are definite economic benefits of renting over buying, even taking homeowner tax breaks into account. Not saying I wouldn't rule out buying. There is an allure to owning your own home and building up equity in it.
I don't look at home ownership as an investment. I see it as freedom to put in a pool, play music loud, do my laundry in house, entertain, park in my garage/driveway, grow a huge garden, not hear neighbors upstairs or hear complaints downstairs, not having to worry if my landlord will raise my rent next year or get horrible new tennents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey