Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,202 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I want to move out of the bedroom I am renting on a month to month basis because the roommate is a nightmare. She moved in her sister without letting me know suddenly wants to charge for utilities after 4 months (she at first mentioned it was all included), she lost her job and possibly her US Visa amongst other things and I need to move out!

I am wondering how much time in advance do I have to give? I never signed a contract/agreement or anything and I'm obviously not in the lease. I never put down a deposit because she didn't ask. I pretty much just pay her the 5th of every month using a check so I have evidence. I told the girl I was going to move out but ideally I want to do it at the end of August because I don't want to live another month here and give money to her that I can save towards renting a new place. Do I have to give something like 30 days notice if I don't have any lease/contract with her? Can I give less of a notice?

I've never even met or spoken to the landlord in the 4 months I have been living here...

Please give me some advice?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:55 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
If you have no written agreement you can leave whenever you like. Any notice you give is just you being courteous. Even if you had some sort of verbal agreement, that is not likely to hold up well should it ever go to court.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:14 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
Since you have no deposit, there isn't much she could do. I rent a room out in my house had a tenant move out on the 28th of one month. No notice, no nothing, gave me this excuse she had to take care of her mother. I get a deposit but gave it back, just didn't want the hassles.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Even without a contract, New Jersey state law requires you to give a WRITTEN full calendar month as notice.

If you gave notice today, your notice becomes effective September 1 for a move out date of September 30th.

You could move out whenever you want, but you owe rent for the full month of September.

And she CAN sue you for failure to give proper notice and failure to pay rent.

Old 08-23-2016, 05:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Even without a contract, New Jersey state law requires you to give a WRITTEN full calendar month as notice.

If you gave notice today, your notice becomes effective September 1 for a move out date of September 30th.

You could move out whenever you want, but you owe rent for the full month of September.

And she CAN sue you for failure to give proper notice and failure to pay rent.
Are you sure? I never heard of that. Could you reference the law you cite?

Old 08-23-2016, 06:35 AM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
From http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions..._lti/lease.pdf

"Notice to Terminate the Lease
A month-to-month tenant must give written notice of lease termination at least one full month
prior to moving."

OR

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions..._lti/t_i_r.pdf

"Month-to-month leases renew automatically unless the tenant or landlord acts
to end the lease. A tenant may terminate a month-to-month lease (or any rental
agreement that does not have a specific term) by providing a written notice one
month in advance of the time that the renewed rental period would start. For
example if a tenant’s rent is due on January 15th the tenant must give the landlord
notice on or before December 15th if the tenant wants to move out before the
new rental period begins on the 15th of the next month"

Old 08-23-2016, 10:15 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
But there is no contact to rent, so i am not sure that law would apply

Old 08-23-2016, 10:24 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Rental contracts can be oral. And since money has been exchanged in the past for rent, it's difficult to say that both parties are not in some kind of contract.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:25 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
"A landlord-tenant relationship is formed when a landlord allows another person
to use a dwelling unit for a specifi ed period of time in return for rent. A dwelling
unit may be an apartment, a house, a room or a mobile home or mobile home space.
Parties to a lease must be at least 18 years old and mentally competent. (1)

A lease may be either oral or written. If written, it must be in plain language. (2)
This means that it must be written so that an average person can understand it."
http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions..._lti/t_i_r.pdf

Old 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,151 times
The OP's "landlord" could open a bigger can of worms trying to sue the OP. Does the "landlord" declare the income from renting the room? Is the "landlord" allowed to sublet under their own rental contract?? Really the OP can just walk away. It seems the person she shares the apt with has changed the agreement moving her sister in and wanting to charge for utilities.

I really doubt if the OP's "landlord" would take her to court over this. It's not like renting an entire apt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey