Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,551,171 times

Advertisements

Sausage roll I meant - sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 08:27 AM

4 posts, read 14,499 times
I know the family.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw View Post
Sorry I don't know for your area but in the town I live (Clinton in Hunterdon county) there is the best fresh fish store [url=http://www.metroseafood.com/]Metropolitan Seafood Company, Clinton, NJ[/url] which does fish and chips to beat many fish and chip shops in the UK, and I can say that without worry as I'm a Brit ) Honestly, it is really the best, freshest fish I have tasted in a long time and I highly recommend it.

I live in Budd Lake and we drove all the way to Clinton for fish & chips and you were so right. THIS IS ONE AWESOME FISH MARKET! So well worth the trip

Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,851,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
I Know Kearney as a big Portuguese town and they love fish.
is it still?
Kearny used to be a big Scottish/Irish town. Now it's mainly Portuguese and Hispanics.

It's the Scottish/Irish heritage that made Kearny famous for its Fish & Chips. And yes Argyle and Thistle have gone way done hill in years. The fish is still good, but the chips stink now because they are just plain french fries. Way different years ago.

Anyone ever been to Arthur Treacher's. It's a fast food/ chain Fish & Chips restaurant that have mainly left NJ (still a few left), but they were good for a decent price. Kearny's Fish & Chips restaurants aren't worth the price now to be honest with you.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,599,693 times
My brother in law is Brit and he asked. He had a bad experience at LongJohnSilver with it not being fresh. On the Turnpike there's a place rest area i forget which one it is but it's between exit 6 and 11 i think south, ha

Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,573 times
Default Cameron's in Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leylandi View Post
Well I, for one, would love to see the website for the distributor in Plainfield pretty please!

I like The Chippery in Fanwood. I have tried Cameron's of Kearny in Brick which was just ok.,..... not sure if it is still open.

Cameron's is open and doing well so come on down

Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,756,903 times
There are a few Long John Silver's in NJ, and plenty of Red Lobster restaurants all over the place, so I'm not sure why it's so hard to find fish and chips. By the way, they don't serve chips with the fish, they serve fries, so if they want authentic British fish and chips it would be a good idea to stop at 7-11 or Krauzers for a bag of Lay's potato chips.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,506,898 times
A few years back (well maybe 7 or so) I thought The St James Gate (or the "pub" in Maplewood had traditional fish and chips. Anyway it is a very good pub with an authentic feel.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:46 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,133,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Kearny used to be a big Scottish/Irish town. Now it's mainly Portuguese and Hispanics.

It's the Scottish/Irish heritage that made Kearny famous for its Fish & Chips. And yes Argyle and Thistle have gone way done hill in years. The fish is still good, but the chips stink now because they are just plain french fries. Way different years ago.

Anyone ever been to Arthur Treacher's. It's a fast food/ chain Fish & Chips restaurant that have mainly left NJ (still a few left), but they were good for a decent price. Kearny's Fish & Chips restaurants aren't worth the price now to be honest with you.
In the food court of the Willowbook Mall in Wayne, in between Wendy's and Taco Bell, there is a combination Arthur Treachers/Nathans/Kenny Rogers Roasters (apparently all in the same company). They've been there for years.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:53 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,952,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
By the way, they don't serve chips with the fish, they serve fries, so if they want authentic British fish and chips it would be a good idea to stop at 7-11 or Krauzers for a bag of Lay's potato chips.
You're joking, right? "Crisps" are what Brits call our potato chips. Authentic British chips -- as in "Fish N Chips" -- are really more chunks of potatoes, cut as we would for roasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey