Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM

29 posts, read 27,214 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a DMV in northern NJ that does not have a long line around the block before they even open?

I used to go to the one in Wallington, but for the past 3 months there are people camping out there well before 8AM, and the line continues to stay outside and to the street all during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM

777 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Unfortunately, what you are looking for doesn't exist.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:20 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,296,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowey View Post
Does anyone know of a DMV in northern NJ that does not have a long line around the block before they even open? I used to go to the one in Wallington, but for the past 3 months there are people camping out there well before 8AM, and the line continues to stay outside and to the street all during the day.
I've had record-setting success at both Oakland and Newton, but no — never on the last day of the month.
IF you can wait two weeks, borrow my success formula: Mid-month, mid-week, mid-morning.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:43 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,501,170 times
There has been much press and publicity about this recently and I do believe as the other guy mentioned its toughest or busiest around beginning/end of month. Recently there was news that lic renewals would fall on birthdates rather that end of month to spread this out.

I did notice that Rahway which is notorious for long lines was rather light this evening as i passed it on its late night.

Sometimes if you're traveling you might find a quieter low volume agency in a smaller less traveled location.

Otherwise some of these tricks the DMV are trying might work and you might luck out.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,138,607 times
I had to smile when I saw this thread. My late wife lived most of her life in Westwood. She moved to Wyoming "because someone told me there was a handsome cowboy behind every tree." Apparently she wasn't aware there are few trees in most parts of Wyoming. Anyway, she came home from getting her first Wyoming driver's license blabbering about no line. She couldn't believe that she could park in front of the building, walk up to the counter and be licensed in 10 minutes. She was expecting a day-long event.

I just had to respond.

Or, you could move to Wyoming. However, our little community has grown in recent years, and I had to take a number the last time I renewed. I think there were two ahead of me.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM

414 posts, read 356,637 times
At the advice of a friend, three years ago I went to Randolph for my renewal on a Saturday morning towards the end of the month as soon as they opened and there wasn't a line. By the time I left the line had formed. I'd keep this secret to myself, but I'm leaving NJ next month.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:35 PM

33 posts, read 41,133 times
I have been to north bergen dmv, one of the weekday evening when they close around 7. There were only 3 or 4 people on front. It was 3 years ago

Old 08-31-2016, 04:01 AM

859 posts, read 961,164 times
they are all bad, Oakland mvc is in a mall, the only advantage to that is you will be waiting in the hallway
of the mall, so you wont be in the heat or cold or rain.

yes is it worse at end of the month but it's crowded all month long, do not believe gov chrisite when he says
it's only crowded at end of the month, that's b.s.

also some months are more crowded than others, had a friend go in February and he said he was in and out
in 30 minutes, I went in june and waited 3 hours.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:42 AM

29 posts, read 27,214 times
Things have changed recently. Some of you are talking about a few years ago. When I went both 4 years ago and 8 years ago to Wallington, the place was empty, I was there no longer than 30 minutes and most of that was waiting around after they already took my application.

Over the past few months it has gotten much worse, and there is a huge line just to get in the door at every DMV. So I am afraid that the tricks that worked years ago may not work today.

I will try waiting until the middle of the month, thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:12 AM

324 posts, read 571,455 times
In the past ten years, I've gotten 2 license renewals (one last month) at Somerville and 3 inspections (one this month)at Randolph. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes. I don't think I've ever been foolish enough to go at the end of the month, but the license renewals were around 5 pm on a Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey