Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Will do.

I thought you'd be shopping for a generator.
what's the point? wont be able to get gas for it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 03:56 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,531,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
They blew the forecast... again.
I just love when people say stuff like this. If the storm zigged instead of zagged South Jersey would have been inundated with water, everyone would be hollering the Emergency Management People didn't do enough, the beaches are being eroded, etc, etc.

If it has really zigged and ran up into NYC, at high tide or something the storm surge might have shut the NYC subway down and the PATH tubes, which Sandy already wrecked.

You can't really blame the weatherman, if everyone keeps saying they crying wolf, when the storm zigs instead of zagging and we get swamped with 8" of water or 24" of snow, then chaos occurs because no one took the prediction seriously.

The Blizzard of 1888 started out as unseasonably warm with rain that turned to snow as temps fell. NYC got up to 40" of snow. Or the damage the Hurricane of 1938 did to Long Island and into New England.

Just be glad we didn't have someone at a press conference saying, "This looks like the real deal."

Old 09-04-2016, 03:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
I went shopping for a new grill today. BIG ORANGE WAS OUT OF STOCK. CURSE YOU, HERMINE.

Oh well, got the parts to hook up the old grill for now, so it's some tropical storm grilling for me.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:06 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I just love when people say stuff like this. If the storm zigged instead of zagged South Jersey would have been inundated with water, everyone would be hollering the Emergency Management People didn't do enough, the beaches are being eroded, etc, etc.

If it has really zigged and ran up into NYC, at high tide or something the storm surge might have shut the NYC subway down and the PATH tubes, which Sandy already wrecked.

You can't really blame the weatherman, if everyone keeps saying they crying wolf, when the storm zigs instead of zagging and we get swamped with 8" of water or 24" of snow, then chaos occurs because no one took the prediction seriously.

The Blizzard of 1888 started out as unseasonably warm with rain that turned to snow as temps fell. NYC got up to 40" of snow. Or the damage the Hurricane of 1938 did to Long Island and into New England.

Just be glad we didn't have someone at a press conference saying, "This looks like the real deal."
So they blew the forecast... again.

The thing is, with every blown forecast filled with hype (like this one), people will put less trust in the forecast the next time. And yeah, you never know which one WILL be the big one, but when they tell you this one will "rival Sandy" or be the "Sandy of South Jersey" and then it goes out to sea, and when nearly EVERY one MAY be the big one... well, people may not listen so hard next time. Forecasts without the hype and without weathermen and reporters standing near the rough waves when the storm is still days out would be fine, but unfortunately nowadays the media likes hyping things and harping on them.

Part of the problem with Sandy was the shore didn't see much damage during Irene, even though they were told they would. So a lot of locals didn't believe it when they were told, again, it would be very bad. It's a fine line between warning people about possible dangers and warning AND hyping, but I think that line is crossed far too often. It's clearly at the point where it's become a joke. Remember that huge blizzard that never was a couple winters ago? When they were saying we were going to get slammed and it was going to be awful and this and that for DAYS... and then it missed us and slammed New England? We got maybe 6 inches that storm, maybe. We were supposed to get feet and feet (like we got in this past January's storm). Remember the hurricane that they thought was going to hit us last fall? I forget the name but it was like this, it was supposed to be like Sandy... but it went out to sea. I can do objective reporting and forecasts without all the hype and dramatic footage and trying to scare people.

Last edited by JerseyGirl415; 09-04-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
So they blew the forecast... again.
Don't speak too soon............... N.J. shouldn't let its guard down with Hermine yet, forecasters say | NJ.com

Old 09-04-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
See my edit on my previous post... it gets to the point where you don't know WHAT to believe. And nowadays considering use of social media a lot of info from professionals is flying around, some much more dramatic than others, people really don't know what is going on, what is even being forecast. Enough with the hyping. It's counter productive.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
See my edit on my previous post... it gets to the point where you don't know WHAT to believe. And nowadays considering use of social media a lot of info from professionals is flying around, some much more dramatic than others, people really don't know what is going on, what is even being forecast. Enough with the hyping. It's counter productive.

I agree it's all the hype, looking for that viewer count, or click count on computers, for the all important advertising dollar. It's not just online, I used to drive a school bus, one day the headline was, "Drunken School Bus Driver Arrested on Way to Pick Up Kids". It wasn't a yellow school bus, it was a charter bus! So I wrote to the reporters email on the bottom of the article. I said something along the lines of I would have expected this out of the National Enquirer. She nicely replied that her headline editor wrote the headline, (I didn't even know there was such a thing) and gave me his email address. I got no reply from him.

If it gets you to "tune in at 11" it's all good I suppose.

Although in the case of bad weather, as long as I can survive at home for a day or 2 I'm good. I don't live in a flood prone area. If I lived at the shore, I'd make different preparations and monitor the forecasts a lot closer.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I agree it's all the hype, looking for that viewer count, or click count on computers, for the all important advertising dollar. It's not just online, I used to drive a school bus, one day the headline was, "Drunken School Bus Driver Arrested on Way to Pick Up Kids". It wasn't a yellow school bus, it was a charter bus! So I wrote to the reporters email on the bottom of the article. I said something along the lines of I would have expected this out of the National Enquirer. She nicely replied that her headline editor wrote the headline, (I didn't even know there was such a thing) and gave me his email address. I got no reply from him.

If it gets you to "tune in at 11" it's all good I suppose.

Although in the case of bad weather, as long as I can survive at home for a day or 2 I'm good. I don't live in a flood prone area. If I lived at the shore, I'd make different preparations and monitor the forecasts a lot closer.
That's exactly it, and that's why I roll my eyes at every blown forecast (because let's be honest, most are way overhyped and turn out to be wrong - which IS a good thing given they make every potential storm out to be the next big one!). I think the most laughable from hurricane forecasts is the reporter or weather guy hanging for dear life onto a railing near a seawall, or fighting to stand against wind on the beach. They love this stuff, they love doing it and they love the attention it gets them. I would like them to just objectively report weather and stop the hyping. And you're right, it's often the same with news headlines - "clickbait" as they're often called on the internet.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:40 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
there is one born every minute. the weather people will try to string it along as much as possible and blue biker will eat it up. this storm was never a threat to us.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is one born every minute. the weather people will try to string it along as much as possible and blue biker will eat it up. this storm was never a threat to us.
Did you check the link, or do you just like making snarky comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey