Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:36 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times

Advertisements

Here's how this works. If your school is ranked highly then you approve the rankings methodology. If your school dropped or is ranked poorly then the methodology is flawed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:56 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Here's how this works. If your school is ranked highly then you approve the rankings methodology. If your school dropped or is ranked poorly then the methodology is flawed.
Nah it's flawed either way. The mere fact that schools can drop or rise so significantly in just two years or so is proof of that.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nah it's flawed either way. The mere fact that schools can drop or rise so significantly in just two years or so is proof of that.
It is not flawed, it is doing exactly what it is supposed to do, sell magazines and get web traffic.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
West Orange has moved up from mediocre to comfortably middlin'. Woo-hoo!

Old 09-08-2016, 10:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
West Orange has moved up from mediocre to comfortably middlin'. Woo-hoo!
West Orange moved up significantly, and I expect that trend to continue as the town as a whole is on the "up and up".

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/west-o...west-orange-as

Old 09-08-2016, 09:23 PM

19 posts, read 42,449 times
Eh - I raised a skeptical eyebrow at this list. Especially that 90%+ students taking AP classes and of those 90%+ scoring 3 or higher on the exam, or however it was outlined. I don't doubt that those schools have smart kids, but 90% of the student body are in an AP course? Not buying it.

As others have said, there's no consistency anywhere. NJ Monthly says one thing. Great Schools says another. School Digger something else. And finally, Niche offers up some info as well. I actually think Niche is the most comprehensive of the "ratings" sites, and I prefer using them to any of the others. BUT -- this year's rankings in NJ Monthly made no sense. Schools just don't rise and plummet that quickly. What you want is consistency and/or steady improvement. Not blips in a magazine rating. How a school could be rated Number 3 one year and number 60 2 years later just doesn't make sense.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:01 PM

465 posts, read 607,337 times
but niche uses ratings from parents and students (or anyone who claims to be). Thus, the results can be unjustifiably skewed.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:18 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelligan View Post
Eh - I raised a skeptical eyebrow at this list. Especially that 90%+ students taking AP classes and of those 90%+ scoring 3 or higher on the exam, or however it was outlined. I don't doubt that those schools have smart kids, but 90% of the student body are in an AP course? Not buying it.

As others have said, there's no consistency anywhere. NJ Monthly says one thing. Great Schools says another. School Digger something else. And finally, Niche offers up some info as well. I actually think Niche is the most comprehensive of the "ratings" sites, and I prefer using them to any of the others. BUT -- this year's rankings in NJ Monthly made no sense. Schools just don't rise and plummet that quickly. What you want is consistency and/or steady improvement. Not blips in a magazine rating. How a school could be rated Number 3 one year and number 60 2 years later just doesn't make sense.
I agree with everything you said except, Niche is the worst! Crowd sourced rankings, come on! That's not a methodology that's a recipe for worthless.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 18,052 times
My question was more about of the top 10 schools which areas are parents/kids most happy? I have talk to friends in west windsor, and although school is top 10, many of the kids find it ultra competitive at school and at home. Other friends in Glen Rock love it there and they seem to have struck a balance between great academics and overall enjoyment of going to school. What about the other areas- chatham, millburn etc. There is so much more than a ranking in various publications such as newsweek, niche etc.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:55 AM

18 posts, read 43,144 times
I'm just happy my Sussex County school is somehow within the top 100 - as we moved from Ramsey so I was a little worried about the educational system...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey