Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,054 times

Advertisements

Background:
I moved to North NJ about 8 months ago and have been renting a place. Now, I am looking to buy a small condo. I am looking for a very small condo: less than 400 sq ft studio.

Question:
What are some good neighbourhoods:
I really liked Hoboken and am open to the idea of moving there. A 400 sq ft studio would cost me about $200,000. However, I cannot find a small place in Hoboken.
So, I am looking in other areas as well: Newport is expensive and I cannot find a place either.
How about Journal Square area? It is cheap and accessible to path. But is it safe and vibrant?
How about downtown jersey city? What are some good neighbourhoods there.

My criteria:
As I am 24, I am looking for a vibrant place. Also, I am looking for a Safe area. I know that each area is a little unsafe by nature which is acceptable. I need to ensure that I am taking some precautions, but not to the point where I cannot step out of my place after sunset. Plus, my office is in newark as well as midtown manhattan so I need a method where both are accessible. Plus, I go to stevens institute as well. So, staying close to Path (or just a light rail away from path) is great.

I am currently living in newark and hate this place. I did not know about the neighbourhood when I moved to this place.

I spend about 900 in rent while I have a roommate. I would like to find a place where monthly (5 year interest only) mortage and HOA and taxes dont cost me more than 1100 per month.

Any advice in terms of neighbourhood would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
maybe monctlair would fit you better. its a great town, full of culture, restaurants, museum, college town--but not in a bad way, and lots do do after dark. they have the train right in town. its a great place to live--i wish i did--lol

Old 02-22-2008, 08:19 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
I dont know if any of the neighborhoods on the hudson are vibrant, I could be wrong maybe Hoboken? Newport is pretty pricey quick to NYC though. Journal Square is cheap but not vibrant what so ever. Like the person mentioned before Montclair is probebly right up your alley. Easy commute to Newark and NYC. Not really sure though about anywhere else. Downtown JC isnt really vibrant its more of just a bedroom community not really much to do . I dont know you really need to just check the places out first hand and get a feel for what makes you feel good. If you dont mind me asking what area of NEwark are you in now?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

52 posts, read 226,125 times
You may be able to find something in Edgewater for that price, or even Cliffside Park which are both within a reasonable distance of shops, restaurants, etc.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks a lot guys. I am a little skeptical about Montclair as I have to be in Hoboken for my saturday classes at 8:00 AM. I have heard some bad stories about Montclair. But, I will take a couple of visits there within next 2 weeks to check out the place.

I live right across NJIT / Rutgers in Newark. There is development called University Centre.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Oh yea I heard about University Center. It seemed alittle pricey from what I've read.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:28 PM

One sentence: " Stay away from University Centre". Not a great place to live although the first impression is great

Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 PM

hahaha yea i hear ya, I thought it sounded great until they told me the prices for each room. Plus it fell to much like a dorm room when I was looking for an apartment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey