Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:23 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,651,552 times

Advertisements

With the ability to take the driver's test in so many languages I'm not sure any driver knows or obeys the rules, whether they're from Jersey, NY or Delaware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,651,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I know some people don't acknowledge this, but there's more to New York than just NYC. A lot of those who have commented on this thread have assumed that NY plates = NYC resident.
You're correct. We live upstate NY, over 2 hours from Jersey. We lived in Jersey and moved upstate. Don't miss the traffic or the crazy drivers, but sure miss Costco.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:51 AM

516 posts, read 1,004,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I could see her when I passed her. She wasn't doing anything (other than being an idiot), including moving over. She had ample opportunity to move over to the slow lane and she chose to go 40 in the center. She was not even attempting to move over, for a while. Sorry, but I'm going to honk. People like that only add to traffic problems and danger on highways.

40 in the center when you can be going at least 60 is problematic. Some people are just idiots. At least be a considerate idiot.
Haha my mother in law is like that. I refuse to ride in her car when she is driving. Not only do I feel like someone is going to rear end us at an moment, I get road rage just sitting there.

Another thing I've noticed with the start of school and all the soccer moms dropping kids off--a lot of drivers are horrible at making left turns on local roads. We're talking fancy SUV's like BMW 3 series and these drivers just sit waiting for car after car when there are ample opportunities to turn. So... it turns out that only one person can make a left turn every time the light turns, which happens to them. Drives me freaking insane every morning.

Now, every time I see a big BMW, I take a detour around them. Sometimes I see Honda's that are bad as well, but the BMW SUV's... man.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,971,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPiggleWiggle View Post
Haha my mother in law is like that. I refuse to ride in her car when she is driving. Not only do I feel like someone is going to rear end us at an moment, I get road rage just sitting there.

Another thing I've noticed with the start of school and all the soccer moms dropping kids off--a lot of drivers are horrible at making left turns on local roads. We're talking fancy SUV's like BMW 3 series and these drivers just sit waiting for car after car when there are ample opportunities to turn. So... it turns out that only one person can make a left turn every time the light turns, which happens to them. Drives me freaking insane every morning.

Now, every time I see a big BMW, I take a detour around them. Sometimes I see Honda's that are bad as well, but the BMW SUV's... man.
Or, they don't inch up to turn. So when the light goes yellow or even turns red, they go and no one else can. That's an annoying one, too.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:37 PM

19,106 posts, read 25,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I know some people don't acknowledge this, but there's more to New York than just NYC. A lot of those who have commented on this thread have assumed that NY plates = NYC resident.
That is true, but I think it is more logical to suspect that most of the really bad drivers with NY plates who are plaguing NJ roads are from nearby NYC, rather than from...let's say...Buffalo...Schenectady...Albany...Binghamton. ..Syracuse...Rochester, or other upstate cities.

And, if--supposedly--nobody in NYC owns a car, who owns all of the cars lining the streets in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, and--yes--even Manhattan overnight? Are you of the belief that people from other states are parking overnight on the streets of the Five Boroughs?

Old 09-13-2016, 09:10 PM

684 posts, read 713,073 times
I see cops pull over NY plates more often then NJ plates. People from NYC are also complaining. They get driving tickets in NJ while we get parking tickets in NYC.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:13 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,189,475 times
You want drivers?

C'mon down to Southwestern NJ where we have a lot a flaky Philly and NJ plated former Philly drivers.

NY drivers are "saints" in comparison in at least one will sought of predict what they'll do next.

Yes I do even see more NY plates here as well.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,973,905 times
This is really a thread? with 4 pages (and counting)?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM

4,027 posts, read 3,623,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is true, but I think it is more logical to suspect that most of the really bad drivers with NY plates who are plaguing NJ roads are from nearby NYC, rather than from...let's say...Buffalo...Schenectady...Albany...Binghamton. ..Syracuse...Rochester, or other upstate cities.

And, if--supposedly--nobody in NYC owns a car, who owns all of the cars lining the streets in Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, The Bronx, and--yes--even Manhattan overnight? Are you of the belief that people from other states are parking overnight on the streets of the Five Boroughs?

Depends where you see them, I suppose. I would guess that if you are near Mahwah/Ramsey or anywhere in Northern Bergen County really, you would see a good number of NY state residents driving in NJ (perhaps for nothing else than to shop at our malls to save on sales tax). As for your other comment, of course there are people who own cars in NYC. But I would guess that car ownership rate is much higher outside of NYC so it would make sense that we see a lot of those on the road also.

In my opinion, drivers don't really differ all that much from state to state in my experience. Driving in Manhattan is different, for sure. People in the south driver faster but they have higher speed limits. But I've driven pretty frequently from New Hampshire all the way down to Florida and I haven't seen a noticeable difference in driving habits. People just tend to be partial to their own state.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:30 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,671,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
I see cops pull over NY plates more often then NJ plates. People from NYC are also complaining. They get driving tickets in NJ while we get parking tickets in NYC.
I don't think police are picking on drivers. I drive in NYC all the time and haven't gotten a parking ticket in years and I always read the signs and take pictures of where I park to ensure no BS tickets.

I think a lot of NY drivers get pulled over because they turn where they shouldn't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey