Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 2,519 times

Advertisements

My wife and I moved into a two bed apartment with two small boys. A year later our third son was born.
The management has know about our over occupancy for the last Seven years. This June we had a housing inspector come by for a usual check and this time noted we were over occupied.
We heard nothing about it.
Fast forward to August 25th, we came home to a sewage flood out, it wreaked the carpets and kitchen cabinets.
Management replaced the carpets but when I asked for new cabinets they said - too expensive oh and by the way we are evicting you for over occupancy.

Typical sob story..low single income, insufficient funds to relocate,don't know which way to turn.
There are multiple families here over occupied but the property managers response is ' they haven't been caught yet'! It just feels like retaliation and discrimination to me.
I'm not expecting ' legal' advice on here but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 02:09 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
You knew that you had an issue for 7 years and were lucky to be able to stay. Now it's simply time to find another place. With a sword over your head for 7 years, it would have been good to be exploring alternatives (especially after the June inspection).

Old 09-12-2016, 02:12 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
That sucks, but its not an uncommon story. The reason doesn't matter(discrimination, inspector, etc.) If you are over the legal occupancy limit of the residence you have to go. Fighting it is only going to suck up valuable time and resources. My advice would be to call in all the favors you have with family and friends to either help you move or give you a temporary place to stay while you get things together. That said I think the process to evict someone is actually a pretty difficult and lengthy task. You may have more time than you think you do, if you simply change the locks and refuse to leave.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:44 PM

That's what I thought. We've been actively searching for a 3 bed apartment for years in our price range. NJ is overcrowded. I know we don't have a leg to stand on but I can't stand the callous attitude from management. While we are still here I would of thought they would fix our kitchen cabinets, they smell of sewage and I would consider it a health hazard.
I could report it to the housing authority's but it costs money I don't have and I know it will make our lives more miserable. I could also report the other over occupied residences but again it'll only spread more misery and I'm not interested in causing anxiety to other family's.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader234 View Post
That's what I thought. We've been actively searching for a 3 bed apartment for years in our price range. NJ is overcrowded. I know we don't have a leg to stand on but I can't stand the callous attitude from management. While we are still here I would of thought they would fix our kitchen cabinets, they smell of sewage and I would consider it a health hazard.
I could report it to the housing authority's but it costs money I don't have and I know it will make our lives more miserable. I could also report the other over occupied residences but again it'll only spread more misery and I'm not interested in causing anxiety to other family's.
Another idea...could your wife(or you) move-out and by move out I mean establish "official" residency with another family member or friend? Not really live there but on paper look like you/she does? Then move one of the kids beds into your room. As long as there aren't three beds in one room I doubt you will have a problem. This would be a temporary solution but could buy you some more time.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 09-12-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM

Nice idea but I know inspectors look out for family movements, coming and going, plus going to school would be a problem. Ive been a decent tenant and don't deserve or want to have to be looking over my shoulder all the time.

Old 09-12-2016, 04:42 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
In my area it is usually 2 per bedroom plus 1... so 5 for a two bedroom unit.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:59 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Maybe this? Department of Human Services | Emergency Assistance

Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Or this?
Blackwood New Jersey Rent Assistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey