Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 28,924 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to rent a place in New Jersey and was considering a place in the Heights that is right next to Terrace Avenue Park and facing Tonnele Avenue. I've heard that the Heights can be sketchy so I'm not sure. I'm going to be working in NYC and coming back at around 8-9 PM. I won't have a car so there will be some walking required from the bus stop to the rental which is around half a mile.

Would it be safe for a young woman to be walking at night in this area? How does this area compare to Hoboken? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 11:28 PM

12,148 posts, read 7,114,953 times
It's not super safe but it's also not dangerous either. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being safest, I'd say that area is probably a 7.

The Heights is more immigrants, mostly East Indian with some Latinos than Hoboken, which is pretty much yuppy central.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,570,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aukitkat View Post
I'm looking to rent a place in New Jersey and was considering a place in the Heights that is right next to Terrace Avenue Park and facing Tonnele Avenue. I've heard that the Heights can be sketchy so I'm not sure. I'm going to be working in NYC and coming back at around 8-9 PM. I won't have a car so there will be some walking required from the bus stop to the rental which is around half a mile.

Would it be safe for a young woman to be walking at night in this area? How does this area compare to Hoboken? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I lived in that exact area for close to 30 years. One of the safest areas in the JC Heights.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It's not super safe but it's also not dangerous either. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being safest, I'd say that area is probably a 7.

The Heights is more immigrants, mostly East Indian with some Latinos than Hoboken, which is pretty much yuppy central.
Do you think Hoboken would be a better place to reside in?

Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM

28 posts, read 77,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

You have to get more local than "The heights." This is one section of the heights, called the Western Slope. The Western Slope is about as safe as you can get in Jersey City. The quietest part of the Western Slope is between Bleecker and Secaucus Road on Terrace Avenue, Liberty, Columbia and Nelson. West of Kennedy, in other words, is nice and quiet. You would be close enough to Bleecker though to be fine. Just don't walk down to the Ringside on Tonnelle at Manhattan Avenue for a drink, if you are concerned about crime.

East Indian is not a term used in JC. It's more accurate to say there are a lot of Indians and Filipinos in the Western Slope. There are still a number of old timer White folks too. There are also Hispanics.

You will not have any problems walking down Bleecker from a NYC bus stop in the evening. Just be prepared to get some good calf exercise walking up from Terrace.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukitkat View Post
Do you think Hoboken would be a better place to reside in?
You are comparing apples to orange. You will not find the same single yuppie demographic in that area of JC that you will in Hoboken. There will be more families with older kids. You will, however, save a lot more money on the rent. You can easily cab it to Hoboken or downtown JC on the weekends, or head into NYC on the many minibuses that run all the time.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheightsguy View Post
You have to get more local than "The heights." This is one section of the heights, called the Western Slope. The Western Slope is about as safe as you can get in Jersey City. The quietest part of the Western Slope is between Bleecker and Secaucus Road on Terrace Avenue, Liberty, Columbia and Nelson. West of Kennedy, in other words, is nice and quiet. You would be close enough to Bleecker though to be fine. Just don't walk down to the Ringside on Tonnelle at Manhattan Avenue for a drink, if you are concerned about crime.

East Indian is not a term used in JC. It's more accurate to say there are a lot of Indians and Filipinos in the Western Slope. There are still a number of old timer White folks too. There are also Hispanics.

You will not have any problems walking down Bleecker from a NYC bus stop in the evening. Just be prepared to get some good calf exercise walking up from Terrace.

I just checked the map and the rental is between Thorne St and Lincoln St, it is south of Bleeker St. So it's outside of the Western Slope you're describing, you would have to pass through Thorne St to reach Bleecker. So I guess it's outside the safe zone. Thanks for the information.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:09 PM

No, I said you are close enough to Bleecker to be fine. It's safe, trust me, but judge for yourself. Take a walk around there some evening and see for yourself.

Just don't take a stroll on Tonnelle, which is a highway, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey