Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 03:22 PM

64 posts, read 84,912 times

Advertisements

Is Jersey City safer than Newark? Single black female with two teenagers. Which would be a better environment out of the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 03:37 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Death or death by chi chi.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:25 PM

111 posts, read 112,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT942 View Post
Is Jersey City safer than Newark? Single black female with two teenagers. Which would be a better environment out of the two?
May we ask what your budget for rent would be?

To my best recommendation, I would honestly say that just about anywhere in Jersey City will be cheaper and safer than just about anywhere in Newark.

I would even offer to check out some buildings around Bergen Ave etc if you truly wanted me to help scope out some spots. I used to know someone that rents a room house but a few building do say Apartment Available. Shoot me an Inbox and let me know, any given day and I can peruse and try to help you.

I wont go in to Newark anymore.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:38 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
30 murders in Jersey City last year(highest in years). Over 100 in Newark. Almost same size cities. It is easy to do the math.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:04 PM

625 posts, read 796,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
May we ask what your budget for rent would be?

To my best recommendation, I would honestly say that just about anywhere in Jersey City will be cheaper and safer than just about anywhere in Newark.

I would even offer to check out some buildings around Bergen Ave etc if you truly wanted me to help scope out some spots. I used to know someone that rents a room house but a few building do say Apartment Available. Shoot me an Inbox and let me know, any given day and I can peruse and try to help you.

I wont go in to Newark anymore.

Anywhere in Jersey City is safer than anywhere in Newark? Really?

I am a 30 year old white professional male and live in the Ironbound. I've rented to 5 people that have left Jersey City and prefer the Ironbound section over jersey city. They work at JCMC and prefer to drive to Newark.

There is more to 100 murders and blanket statements. The Ironbound has 1 murder and a population of 60,000. 95% of Newark's issues are concentrated in the South and West wards.

Does Newark, the city as a whole have issues of course. But I don't live anywhere near the south and west wards. People living in South Orange or Hillside are closer to Newark's problem zones than the Ironbound section.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:07 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post

I am a 30 year old white professional male and live in the Ironbound. I've rented to 5 people that have left Jersey City and prefer the Ironbound section over jersey city. They work at JCMC and prefer to drive to Newark.

There is more to 100 murders and blanket statements. The Ironbound has 1 murder and a population of 60,000. 95% of Newark's issues are concentrated in the South and West wards.

Does Newark, the city as a whole have issues of course. But I don't live anywhere near the south and west wards. People living in South Orange or Hillside are closer to Newark's problem zones than the Ironbound section.
Iron bound is not a black neighborhood. To tell you the truth I wouldn't want to live in either of those cities.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:12 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
The median household income in Jersey City is $58,000. In Newark, it's $34,000.Mar 4, 2014Jersey City will overtake Newark population by 2016, Mayor Fulop ...

www.nj.com/.../fulop_boasts_jersey_city_will_overtake_newark_population_by...NJ.com

The schools are worse in Newark, chances of being a victim of a violent crime is worse. I could go on and on.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 AM

862 posts, read 974,693 times
there are some sections of Newark that are safer than some sections of jersey city and vice versa,

overall jersey city is safer.

Old 08-30-2016, 06:19 AM

111 posts, read 112,764 times
Quote:

Yes. Really.

I said just about anywhere in Jersey City/Newark. For your quote, you said I said anywhere. So, you have already misrepresented my statement.

Ironound is the Portuguese/Spanish section, Ferry St the major thoroughfare and you are south of Penn Station. I miss the Burger King at the triangle, thats been gone a very long time. It just may be the safest section in Newark. Im happy your clients enjoy the vibrant and safe and festive area. North Newark is where you go if you don't want to see your car anymore, heading to Belleville. You left out North Ward. (Mt Olive Ave, Summer Ave, Broadway.) Though Spanish, its gang-infested motherland up there too.

Trouble areas in Jersey City I would say are Ocean Ave, parts of Bergen Ave if not most of it, Martin Luther King Blvd. Not really Garfield Ave, not downtown Jersey City (Newport area, waterfront,) but by Hudson Mall area again and Mallory Ave (and again, Communipaw) are "rough."

The gunshot detectors must not work? They do in East Orange. And they used to. The cameras must not either..

Still, though, it appears my original assessment.. was correct, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
there are some sections of Newark that are safer than some sections of jersey city and vice versa,

overall jersey city is safer.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:

They probably left Jersey City because they got priced out. I can't imagine any other reason a person would prefer to live in Newark and then sit in traffic driving to Jersey City every day. Makes no sense. The Ironbound is WAY overrated and doesn't have nearly as much to offer as downtown Jersey City.

Regardless, crime in Newark is not confined to certain areas in the South and West. There have been plenty of incidents in downtown Newark (remember the kid that got beat up in front of his father when attending a concert at the Prudential Center?). I lived in downtown Jersey City for many years and it was virtually crime free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey