Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM

30 posts, read 43,046 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am currently renting a 3 bedroom in Western slope area of jersey city heights but with rents continue to sky rocket I am looking to purchase my own property ( preferably a multi-family where I can rent out one of the units ).

how does the Western slope area of Jersey heights compare with the area closer to 9th st Light rail.
Which one is more desirable to live ? I feel closer to 9th St light rail gives easy commute access via light rail but is the area safe for families ? What is the upside potential and any other pros/cons of living at a block between Central & Palisade Av vs living west side of JFK Blvd ?

I am specifically looking at houses on Cambridge Av and Sherman av - does any one know about these areas to own a property such as crime rates , urbanization etc ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 09:17 AM

565 posts, read 723,045 times
I'm not an expert on the Heights, but I've always heard the most desirable places are on Ogden, and that the closer to the elevator, the better. Riverside park is nice and has the farmer's market in the warmer months, and my guess would be that in the long term, places closer to Manhattan (the eastern side) will always be more desirable than places in the back. More transit options. The good preschools in the heights are on Central, more toward Washington. If you have kids or are looking to rent to families, you wouldn't want to stray too far from that area. It needs to be walking distance.

What's your draw with the heights? I do feel like it's up and coming, but I don't think it's developing as quick as the Journal Square area. What's your budget for an income producing multi family?

Old 09-21-2016, 09:59 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
If you eventually plan on renting out the property being close to the light rail and bus routes along Palisades Ave is a bonus.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:21 AM

I feel Jersey Heights is more desirable and liveable than Journal Square. Also it has appreciated more in the recent years - second only to the downtown JC section.
That said - JSQ area maybe the next thing with a lot of development planned and could have more upside potential.

As for the heights - I agree living closer to light rail and palisades provides more transit options but the western slope seems more family friendly and suburb like ( and safer ? )

I have never lived closer to central / palisades so I was concerned if that part of JC is considered safe ?

Old 09-21-2016, 06:05 PM

Anyone else familiar with the area who can comment on it ?
Appreciate it

Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 PM

28 posts, read 77,939 times
Ok a few things. With the exception of literally a block or two, the Journal Square area is not liveable for families. And if you have a family, you can't stay holed up in that block. That's my opinion, but I think it's a correct opinion. I would not want my kids around homeless people or prescription drug addicts who keep trying to sell you the same old story that they lost their wallet and just need five bucks for the bus.

Don't get me wrong. JSQ will have price appreciation in the next decade, but think hipsters first and then maybe yuppies later. Families? Not for a good 15 years, if ever.

Somewhat similar issue though not as extreme re: Western Slope part of the heights vs. the streets closer to the light rail. Western Slope = lowest crime area of JC. That is a fact, not an opinion. Want to get to midtown? No prob - just walk a few blocks to Kennedy Blvd and there are minibuses nonstop. Wait about 3 minutes to get one during rush hour. If you want to go downtown, you need an take a short ride in the opposite direction on a minibus to JSQ and then take a path. If you live on Nelson Avenue you can walk to the light rail in about 20 minutes if you want to go to hoboken. (fine on a nice day, not so fine in the rsin or snow).

Once you get West of Kennedy, the area gets grimy fast. It's not that bad, but you. otice a difference. The idea of good preschools on Central Avenue makes me laugh but the area is changing so my knowledge is getting outdated perhaps. There are plenty of deliciously divey restaurants on Central though.

When you go all the way west to ogden, you suddenly have upscale apartments, the value of which easily beats western slope properties. And you have a hipster bar or two on Palisades, and ModCup with delicious but pricey coffee, and i think there's a new bike shop, Riverview Farmer's Market etc etc. That area is not quiet though, with the exception of Ogden.

As for price appreciation, talk to a realtor, but the western slope is better for families in my opinion. There are definitely more and more families showing up at the riverview farmer's market, however. i'd rather have my family in either area, however, thsn JSQ.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:34 AM

565 posts, read 723,045 times
Interesting! I have a couple of friends who have moved with their families to Jsq and McGinley sq areas and seem to really like it. But like I said, I am not an expert on the heights at all. I have a friend on Ogden (which is how I've been to the Farmer's market) and one of my kids has been to summer camp at one of the pres-schools near Wash park. And we like Rumba's. And we go to Auto Zone. That's about it, haha.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Also dont forget there is prop tax reval going on in JC. That affects prices, not too much for heights because most will hit downtown area but it does still affect heights. Just not as much.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:35 AM

How does the prop tax reval affect prices ? Are they likely to go up based on the sale price of the house ?

Old 09-22-2016, 08:45 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geniusmagic View Post
How does the prop tax reval affect prices ? Are they likely to go up based on the sale price of the house ?
Jersey City has avoided a tax reassessment for a long time. In a nutshell the city has avoided revising home values based on improvements like adding extra floors; or in some cases the city avoided collecting on expired tax credits. This will primarily hit owners of refurbished homes like updated brownstones near Grove St or condo buildings that were originally sold with an X-year tax abatement.

Why this happened is a debatable topic and some would say the mayor with eye sights on the governor seat is one reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey