Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM

271 posts, read 566,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
Commuting by train is much better than commuting by bus. I did both so I am speaking from experience here. There are always traffic related delays during rush hours when you travel by bus to port authority (even on XBL).
I've been commuting by bus to the Port Authority for over 3 yrs now and I'd say there have been less than 10 instances of a bus breaking down in the XBL (but this is most likely due to the time I take the bus b/c I do read reports of delays due to broken down buses in that lane)

Additionally, from a cost perspective, it's much cheaper for me to take the bus to PA and then walk to my office (Rock Center area) vs taking the train to Penn Station and taking the subway up from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
600-850k seems like an awful lot for Fair Lawn. Might be a handful of houses you can find on the Bottom of that range, but the vast majority go for under 500k.

Nice town, but I don't think you would see appreciation spending that kind of money because it's simply not the kind of town where people spending that much live

Old 10-12-2016, 09:48 AM

38 posts, read 55,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
Commuting by train is much better than commuting by bus. I did both so I am speaking from experience here. There are always traffic related delays during rush hours when you travel by bus to port authority (even on XBL).
can you please share the specific morning and evening times (from fair lawn and PABT) you got into the bus...it will be very helpful to get a better perspective of when not to take a bus

My experience:
Morning 6.50 to 7.10 buses --> 35-40 minutes tops (usually a few minutes ahead of schedule to reach PABT)
Morning 7.20ish --> usually about 10 mins late on schedule to reach PABT

Evening: anything before 5.10 from PABT on time. cant comment on later times as no recent expereience.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,016,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
600-850k seems like an awful lot for Fair Lawn. Might be a handful of houses you can find on the Bottom of that range, but the vast majority go for under 500k.

Nice town, but I don't think you would see appreciation spending that kind of money because it's simply not the kind of town where people spending that much live
I agree. With your price range, you can do better than Fair Lawn. Ridgewood and Glen Rock are two good options. I would also look into Ho Ho Kus and Allendale.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:52 PM

220 posts, read 379,369 times
I would choose Ridgewood hands down over Fair Lawn, and by a narrower margin over Glen Rock.

Regarding the 2 trains in Glen Rock, they're at different locations w diff parking lots so it's not like you can just hop to the 2nd station if you miss the train at the 1st one. Those two train lines are actually on the same track at Ridgewood and split when it gets to Glen Rock, so the Ridgewood train station is better in terms of flexibility and options regarding the train schedules.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:03 PM

17 posts, read 55,762 times
Thanks. I checked out homes in Glen Rock (walking distance to train) and the train whistle seems pretty loud and annoying. Is this something to be concerned about or do you get used to it.

Are there any advantages to GL vs RW? It does seem that most rank RW a little ahead of GR.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:58 AM

38 posts, read 55,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwebe View Post
Thanks. I checked out homes in Glen Rock (walking distance to train) and the train whistle seems pretty loud and annoying. Is this something to be concerned about or do you get used to it.

Are there any advantages to GL vs RW? It does seem that most rank RW a little ahead of GR.
train whistle is not something you get used to...you just decide to live with it. I would stay away. Moreover there is a reason why houses near train tracks are more affordable than the comparables a little further away.

with your budget you should have good options in GL and RW. But I would say take a look at Fair Lawn as well, there may not be many homes in FL at your price range, but it only takes one good home of your choice that checks all your boxes. Good luck with your search.

Look at this website to get an idea about how the socioeconomic status has been changing over time: District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts

All 3 seem to be moving up the scale:

[SIZE=2]District[/SIZE][SIZE=2]2000
[/SIZE][SIZE=2] DFG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1990
[/SIZE][SIZE=2] DFG[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Fair Lawn Boro[/SIZE][SIZE=2]GH[/SIZE][SIZE=2]FG[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Glen Rock Boro[/SIZE][SIZE=2]J[/SIZE][SIZE=2]I[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Ridgewood Village[/SIZE][SIZE=2]J[/SIZE][SIZE=2]I[/SIZE]

Old 10-14-2016, 06:41 AM

380 posts, read 607,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpf723 View Post
I would choose Ridgewood hands down over Fair Lawn, and by a narrower margin over Glen Rock.

Regarding the 2 trains in Glen Rock, they're at different locations w diff parking lots so it's not like you can just hop to the 2nd station if you miss the train at the 1st one. Those two train lines are actually on the same track at Ridgewood and split when it gets to Glen Rock, so the Ridgewood train station is better in terms of flexibility and options regarding the train schedules.
I'd agree with this sentiment. GRock is a essentially a less tony version of Ridgewood, why not go with the real deal? GR also has higher tax rate than RW.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM

110 posts, read 181,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cukcoo_nest View Post
can you please share the specific morning and evening times (from fair lawn and PABT) you got into the bus...it will be very helpful to get a better perspective of when not to take a bus

My experience:
Morning 6.50 to 7.10 buses --> 35-40 minutes tops (usually a few minutes ahead of schedule to reach PABT)
Morning 7.20ish --> usually about 10 mins late on schedule to reach PABT

Evening: anything before 5.10 from PABT on time. cant comment on later times as no recent expereience.
I should have been more specific in my original post. I have experience in commuting by train and bus from Hackensack to Port Authority. The XBL line is shared by all the express buses (whether they come from Hackensack or from Fair Lawn). So you can expect similar timings from Fair Lawn as well.

Going from Hackensack to Port Authority (by bus):
Before 7 am - takes about 30-40 minutes
Between 7 - 8:30 am - takes anywhere between 40-60 minutes with time progressively increasing as you get closer to 8:30 am.

Coming back to Hackensack from Port Authority (by bus):
After 7 pm - takes about 30-35 minutes

The above is on a normal day with no excessive traffic, no adverse weather conditions (such as rain or snow), no accidents and breakdowns etc., But delays occur more often than not. There were instances where I got stuck on the bus for 2 hours.

The train experience might be different since they are on different lines. But they are always on time and very minimal delays. The ride is also more comfortable. It is also costly compared to bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey