Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 02:52 PM

42 posts, read 50,288 times

Advertisements

How do people manage properties remotely in NJ? I have two properties invested and two inherited. How does one collect rent/manage tenants? Are there people who do this for a premium. About how much an hour?

Taxes, local construction, how does one stay up to date with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 03:00 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Do a Google search for property management companies

Old 10-05-2016, 03:30 PM

42 posts, read 50,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Do a Google search for property management companies
Wonder if it works when I'm on the other side of the country, and what pricepoint etc. I imagine it costs a good bit and not worth it if rent is set at $1100 or so

Old 10-05-2016, 07:09 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,477 times
Property managers typically charge 8-10% of the monthly rent, they don't charge by the hour. You can have tenants set up direct deposit, send a check out, and they even have services now where tenants can pay in cash at local 7-11s.

The property manager will be responsible for tenant applications, screening, handle tenant calls, and take care of maintenance and repairs.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:20 AM

862 posts, read 976,122 times
you can always sell and pocket the money and sleep good at night, look into to see if holding onto is worth it financially.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:52 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
If you are on the other side of the country, a property management company is the way to go. Much easier to pay the 10% monthly rental fee than to try to fix broken toilets, ACs, etc from far away. Plus they will screen rental applicants for you, do the credit checks, call prior references.

We had a rental house in another state and got lucky for the first 3 years with good tenants...and we managed it ourselves. But in the time, the garage door opener had to be replaced, the dishwasher broke, the fridge went on the fritz, and there was a small hole in the roof that had to be repaired. And managing it all from afar was difficult--we would have to play phone tag to cold call repair companies, ask their schedules, then call tenants and get THEIR schedules and when they could be home, then call the repair company back to schedule the appointment. Then call both the tenant and the repair company afterward to find out what was wrong and if everything was resolved. A production ever time.

Then we got a renter from hell who stopped paying rent. We had to legally evict him which took a few court appearances which required my husband to fly cross country 3 times in a month, and all that entails.

When interviewing perspective property management companies, ask if they handle evictions and how they handle it.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
If you are on the other side of the country, a property management company is the way to go. Much easier to pay the 10% monthly rental fee than to try to fix broken toilets, ACs, etc from far away. Plus they will screen rental applicants for you, do the credit checks, call prior references.

We had a rental house in another state and got lucky for the first 3 years with good tenants...and we managed it ourselves. But in the time, the garage door opener had to be replaced, the dishwasher broke, the fridge went on the fritz, and there was a small hole in the roof that had to be repaired. And managing it all from afar was difficult--we would have to play phone tag to cold call repair companies, ask their schedules, then call tenants and get THEIR schedules and when they could be home, then call the repair company back to schedule the appointment. Then call both the tenant and the repair company afterward to find out what was wrong and if everything was resolved. A production ever time.

Then we got a renter from hell who stopped paying rent. We had to legally evict him which took a few court appearances which required my husband to fly cross country 3 times in a month, and all that entails.

When interviewing perspective property management companies, ask if they handle evictions and how they handle it.
I would just tell the tenants who they were going to use and have them make the appointment. I'd call the company and the tenants to make sure that the appointment was made, kept, and the repair done.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:35 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
It still takes a few phone calls to find a reputable companies, get quotes, etc. That's not the type of thing I would leave to my tenants, personally. And often, they ask questions tenants may not know--the last time the broken thing was serviced, the model number, any previous repairs or issues.

And of course, a tenant isn't obligated to make repair appointments themselves--nice if they will agree to it, but legally not their domain.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:55 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
It still takes a few phone calls to find a reputable companies, get quotes, etc. That's not the type of thing I would leave to my tenants, personally. And often, they ask questions tenants may not know--the last time the broken thing was serviced, the model number, any previous repairs or issues.

And of course, a tenant isn't obligated to make repair appointments themselves--nice if they will agree to it, but legally not their domain.
Managing a property in another state only makes sense if you know the area, preferably know someone who lives there, and have a very good tenant. My husband and I only played landlord for a few years, and we had all three of those things because we'd lived there. We dropped the management company because things were going so well. If they weren't, one of our former neighbors would have told us. The other reason was that the tenant started calling us rather than the company we'd hired. We had told them that they could call if they had any questions or concerns---and they did.

Simultaneously, in a different state, we were the tenants in the same sort of situation. We were renting from a woman who had hoped to sell, and she was running out of time. She was moving to another state. Our real estate agent had to talk her into it. Tight market at the time. She'd never been a landlord, and really didn't want to be. We were determined to be the best tenants possible. While it worked out well, she could have had some serious problems. There was no management company involved, and we were paying the HOA fee.

We made the small repairs and performed standard maintenance, called when something broke. She didn't know who to call, so I'd ask around for referrals, get estimates, and hire someone.

Scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey