Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 AM

101 posts, read 119,558 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a proud father of an amazing 4 1/2 yr old daughter, some folks never get to meet there hero I however get to be her Dad. My daughter was diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum when she was about 2 1/2 years old. We have lived in Texas and Florida where she received Occupational and Speech therapy but now live in north NJ close to Elizabeth and Staten Island. My wife and I are at the point now where we need to transition her into a school setting in some format. I would prefer to ease her in, in stages. She is non-verbal and has a very limited 3 or 4 word bank to pull from if that. With that being said I will not and I mean will not place in her in a public school setting where she is lumped into a class where the special needs category is expansive instead of just being for children with ASD. I am considering day care maybe at first to get her into the swing of things and then transition her into school school, of course it would need to be autism centered. I cringe when I hear of places using ABA as I liken the practice to training a canine, it is so repetitive and in my opinion geared towards a child who is hurting themselves. My wife and I have discussed this along with her prior OT in Florida and were from the frame of mind that it would not be appropriate at this time.

So here comes my question.....

What are good daycares or schools that are autism centered.....not geared so much towards ABA and wont break the bank and something I can ease her into.

******Yes I know my request may sound like spotting a unicorn******

I would love to hear from people who have gone down a similar road and what they have used or have heard that has been good.

Lastly I would like to say that my feelings or opinions are just mine and I don't discount folks that do use the different methods I was opposed to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 03:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
Have you contacted your local school district? Different districts have different programs available for early intervention. A friend of mine had a grandchild who began attending a special integrated pre-k in the East Brunswick school district.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Yes I have I wasn't overly impressed but I certainly appreciate your help.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:27 PM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
There is the Arc Kohler School in Mountainside and the Crossroads School in Westfield to start if you havn't checked any out.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 AM

I appreciate the suggestion I will certainly look into it

Old 10-10-2016, 04:17 PM

67 posts, read 91,872 times
Hi gsrfamily,

I have 6yr old twins on spectrum so i can provide some insight. You might want to look into a school that uses the Greenspan method. My twins did ABA & have flourished. Twins were diagnosed since 14 months so i've been down this road. I really don't know of a daycare that uses that method but i think you would be able to find one because there are quite a few families that believe in that methodology. You should do some research on the Greenspan method and a method called Floortime. Hth...

Old 10-10-2016, 04:36 PM

Thank you so much twinmomma2010....would love to bounce more questions off you if you dont mind.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:55 PM

67 posts, read 91,872 times
Not a problem, you can inbox me if your more comfortable. Im fine either way

Old 10-12-2016, 04:27 PM

I will thank you

Old 11-16-2016, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 764 times
Default New school for Autism & Behavioral Spectrum

We are opening a Reggio Emilia school for children with autism and other behavioral disorders in Chesterfield Missouri. Our school is designed for infants through middle school.

Reggio Emilia is a program is based on the principles of respect, responsibility, and community through exploration and discovery in a supportive and enriching environment based on the interests of the children through a self-guided curriculum.

Our therapist and service providers include, but are not limited to; Board Certified Behavior Analyst, Occupational Therapist, Speech Language Pathologist, Board Certified Music therapist, Art Therapist, Provisional Licensed Professional Counselor, Dance teacher, Gymnastics teacher, Yoga instructor, tutors, and highly trained preschool teachers.

Our tuition includes weekly group sessions with all of the therapies and services listed above. We offer one on one therapy sessions from our BCBA, SLP, and OT as well following a referral from the physician.

We are attempting to build a community here at AB Spectrum where we can offer as many services as possible to make life a little easier for parents and their children who I believe will excel in this group style setting. We would love to be a resource and referral for the families in need. Please feel free to contact us [mod cut: contact abspectrum via DM] Thank you.

Last edited by volosong; 11-16-2016 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: delete personal e-mail and telephone number, (mod queue)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey