Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 PM

167 posts, read 334,797 times

Advertisements

Just moved back to the east coast from a 3 yr stint in IL, where there was a sizable Japanese population and a few really excellent ramen restaurants. I'm not talking about your average every day ramen-- I'm talking masterpieces of succulent broth and toothsome noodles of just the right consistency, laced with roasted pork cheek, egg, seaweed and other delectables. Can anyone recommend someplace similar within a 45 min drive of Bridgewater NJ? Winter is coming and I'll need a place to get my cold weather fix!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
The best that I can do for you is Rai Rai Ramen in North Brunswick. I've never been fortunate enough to have ramen at a restaurant in Japan, but Rai Rai has never disappointed me, my guests or anyone who I've recommended it to. I hope that you do check it out because I'm interested in hearing how it stacks up to a restaurant in Japan!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,624,710 times
Yikes! I just realized that I misread your original post as you having lived in Japan . My apologies for the confusion.

I still recommend Rai Rai, and hope that you enjoy it!

Old 10-22-2016, 07:42 AM

124 posts, read 170,704 times
Recommend Rai Rai as well. It's excellent.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Rai Rai is good, but the ramen at the new Ramen Bar located in the Princeton Whole Foods Market is much better!

3495 Route 1 South (Windsor Green Shopping Center)
West Windsor, NJ

Yes, this is at the limit of your preferred 45 minute travel time, but the drive is worth it.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Rai Rai is good, but the ramen at the new Ramen Bar located in the Princeton Whole Foods Market is much better!

3495 Route 1 South (Windsor Green Shopping Center)
West Windsor, NJ

Yes, this is at the limit of your preferred 45 minute travel time, but the drive is worth it.
I was just in Princeton the other day and had some crappy food with my coworkers. Next time I'm there, will certainly try your recommendation.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:58 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfood View Post
I was just in Princeton the other day and had some crappy food with my coworkers. Next time I'm there, will certainly try your recommendation.
Yes, unfortunately there is more mediocre and...lesser...food in Princeton than there is good food, which is surprising, given the sophistication of so many of the locals.

If you want a very good, upscale meal in Princeton, I recommend Agricola (a genuine farm-to-table establishment), on Witherspoon Street. If you want a tasty, authentic ramen lunch, I recommend the Ramen Bar at Whole Foods. The vast majority of their customers are Asian, and they certainly seem to agree with me that this fare is good.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:36 PM

Don't head down to Princeton for work too often. When I do, I just tag along with my coworkers because I don't know better. The places are usually very mediocre. Certainly added the 2 places you recommended to my google maps. Always liked the Whole Foods food courts. They have something for everybody. Thank you!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:01 PM

42 posts, read 50,231 times
So many of the Far Eastern places I've gone to in NJ are comletely not worth what they charge, and overpriced. I've tried a dozen 'well rated' on Yelp

My suggestion? Go to some of the ones in the city and spend $60 per person. It is very steep, but honsestly it will blow your other experiences out the water

Old 10-22-2016, 10:54 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
You don't have to spend $60 for ramen anywhere. Even the top places in the city like Ippudo and Ramen Lab and Mr. Taka are very reasonable.

For the OP, I don't have any recommendations in central Jersey but it might be worth schlepping into the city sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey