Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hmmm
Call the cops 12 92.31%
Honk your horn 1 7.69%
Wait until they move and risk being late to work 0 0%
Park your car on a main street a block away even if you have parking in front of your house 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM

207 posts, read 513,618 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Jersey City and I noticed that a few people double park on my street.

I've never gotten boxed in (until this morning) and assumed that people blocked in people that they knew.

The way the double parkers park is always in the middle of the two cars to the right.

Today, I looked out my window at 5:50 AM. Not blocked.

Then, at 6:15 AM, I get to my car...blocked.

I managed to get out after driving on the sidewalk and doing some other stuff...but, my question is...

Should I have them towed next time or ticketed?

The city would make a lot of money if they ticketed the people on my street.

I will never double park, I'm down to walk a block...I know some people can't...but seriously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 02:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
People don't typically park for an extended period of time. If I have a lot of groceries to bring home and can't find close parking, I will double park while I unload my stuff. I only take about 3 or 4 minutes and I've never had an issue; it's kind of understood in these types of neighborhoods. 6:15 am is probably too early to start honking the horn, so I would have just waited a few minutes before calling the police in that instance.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:13 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Yeah wait a few minutes and they'll probably come out and move. While you wait, stand outside with your phone to your ear. If the person is checking the window while they're inside they'll see you and assume you're calling the police and rush out.

If they don't come out in 5-6 min, then call the police, but be prepared to wait.

Don't lay on your horn at 6 am. Most of your neighbors have done nothing wrong to you. Don't punish everyone on the block like that.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:41 PM

Most of the answers I posted, I would never do myself!

Guys, I get it...double parking for groceries...I did it with furniture, but my hazards would be on.

It took me 12 minutes from the moment I got into my car to out of the spot.

These people stay double parked overnight on the regular and I don't know whose vehicle belongs to whom, so I can't knock on the door. They double park, head inside and go to sleep.

The only real answer it seems is to call the cops which will resolve the trend.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:44 PM

Like this, I get. I understand.

Old 10-20-2016, 04:26 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Mad View Post
Most of the answers I posted, I would never do myself!

Guys, I get it...double parking for groceries...I did it with furniture, but my hazards would be on.

It took me 12 minutes from the moment I got into my car to out of the spot.

These people stay double parked overnight on the regular and I don't know whose vehicle belongs to whom, so I can't knock on the door. They double park, head inside and go to sleep.

The only real answer it seems is to call the cops which will resolve the trend.
If they are parked overnight regularly, I think I would complain to the cops, particularly if it's the same car.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:48 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
There's also Option 5: Remove a little air from one of their tires no damage now, just a lil bit of deflation

Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
that's ballsy to leave a car double parked overnight.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that's ballsy to leave a car double parked overnight.
YES.

Multiple people do it every night, but it never affected me. This picture is from 10 seconds ago. The car/suv that blocked me in is on the right in silver. Down the block, on the left, someone else is doing it.

And I bet the guy in the lower end of the picture is ABOUT to do it.

I found parking just now at 10:15 PM right across the street.

Sometimes there are spots, and they just double park anyway.

I'm gonna avoid parking near that silver car/suv.

Even if there's a spot open.

Which there normally is.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:44 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
The thing that always annoyed me when I lived in JC was that you would have all these cars parked in the street, but all the driveways at these homes would be completely empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey