Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 04:31 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times

Advertisements

I went to look at this townhome community today in Mount Arlington. They seemed pretty nice, well-constructed. The area does seem a bit remote, but pricing seems pretty good (starting at mid to high 300s).

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of the area, the builder, or the community? I went to see the Kensington Square Townhomes by Pulte in Randolph a few weeks ago, which is not far from this community. It's probably about $50,000 more for a comparable townhome in the Randolph community (and they're only two bedrooms instead of the three in the Mt. Arlington community), but it seems like a better location, a bit nicer community, and the incentives offered by Pulte seem a lot better than those offered by Ryan.

Instinctually, I'm thinking the homes in Randolph would be better bets for long-term investment, but affording one, even at a base price with good incentives, would be a stretch for me. The Mount Arlington homes seem to be more a more realistic price for me.

Any thoughts or ideas on these or any other communities are appreciated. Thanks.

New Homes for sale at Shadow Woods Townhomes in Mt. Arlington, NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 05:50 AM

10 posts, read 9,782 times
Default Shadow Wood Townhomes

Starting from only the upper $380,000s, Shadow Woods Townhomes by Ryan Homes in Mt. Arlington - is this still active - website seems closed

Old 08-12-2018, 08:33 AM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I went to look at this townhome community today in Mount Arlington. They seemed pretty nice, well-constructed. The area does seem a bit remote, but pricing seems pretty good (starting at mid to high 300s).

Does anyone have any inside knowledge of the area, the builder, or the community? I went to see the Kensington Square Townhomes by Pulte in Randolph a few weeks ago, which is not far from this community. It's probably about $50,000 more for a comparable townhome in the Randolph community (and they're only two bedrooms instead of the three in the Mt. Arlington community), but it seems like a better location, a bit nicer community, and the incentives offered by Pulte seem a lot better than those offered by Ryan.

Instinctually, I'm thinking the homes in Randolph would be better bets for long-term investment, but affording one, even at a base price with good incentives, would be a stretch for me. The Mount Arlington homes seem to be more a more realistic price for me.

Any thoughts or ideas on these or any other communities are appreciated. Thanks.

New Homes for sale at Shadow Woods Townhomes in Mt. Arlington, NJ
In my opinion, both Mount Arlington and Randolph are nice communities. Both are quiet, safe, and in good locations - Mount Arlington is right off I-80, Randolph is close to Morristown and Chester which have great downtown areas. Both are close to good shopping, restaurants, hiking, and not too far from cultural amenities.

In terms of an investment, I would give the edge to Randolph. It's a slightly wealthier community and closer to Morristown. However, I suspect your property tax bill would be lower in Mount Arlington.

My advice is this. If you plan on living in your next home for 2-5 years, Randolph is better between the two because I suspect the resale value would be slightly to moderately higher. However, if you think you will be in this location for a longer period of time, I would choose Mount Arlington because your mortgage payment and property taxes will be lower in all likelihood.

I also would look at Pondside Manor in Roxbury. I've heard they are quite nice and sell in the $300s.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Wow... my zombie thread has come back to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KML28 View Post
Starting from only the upper $380,000s, Shadow Woods Townhomes by Ryan Homes in Mt. Arlington - is this still active - website seems closed

The community sold old sometime around March 2018. Ryan is starting a new townhome community a few miles away in Mount Olive for comparable pricing, and a single home community in Sparta which is going to cost more...

https://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-...mountain-ridge

https://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-.../north-village

Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
In my opinion, both Mount Arlington and Randolph are nice communities. Both are quiet, safe, and in good locations - Mount Arlington is right off I-80, Randolph is close to Morristown and Chester which have great downtown areas. Both are close to good shopping, restaurants, hiking, and not too far from cultural amenities.

In terms of an investment, I would give the edge to Randolph. It's a slightly wealthier community and closer to Morristown. However, I suspect your property tax bill would be lower in Mount Arlington.

My advice is this. If you plan on living in your next home for 2-5 years, Randolph is better between the two because I suspect the resale value would be slightly to moderately higher. However, if you think you will be in this location for a longer period of time, I would choose Mount Arlington because your mortgage payment and property taxes will be lower in all likelihood.

I also would look at Pondside Manor in Roxbury. I've heard they are quite nice and sell in the $300s.

Thanks for the advice. These were the exact thoughts going through my mind when I was deciding...

I actually bought the townhouse in Mount Arlington. Since the townhouse I looked at in Randolph is only about 7 miles away, I occasionally drive by to check on my "other house" (LOL, yeah, I'm crazy). There were a few reasons why I chose the house in Mount Arlington:

1. The townhomes in Randolph were just a little too expensive for me. Pulte's incentives weren't as good as Ryan's either. For example, my home has a deck (it was a $6,000 option with Pulte, included with Ryan) and a fireplace (holiday incentive from Ryan since I signed the contract in December 2016, a $5,000 option with Pulte). In a best case scenario, the townhome in Randolph would have cost $40,000 more, and that number would have likely been more like $60,000 with comparable options to what I received in my home, not to mention the increased taxes. (Randolph's tax rate is slightly lower than Mount Arlington's but the extra value of the home would have easily killed that benefit.) Geez, I'm swinging the Mount Arlington home by the skin of my teeth.

2. The townhouses in Randolph were only 2 BR (at least the model within the realm of possibility for me). I was told by the sales rep that even though there was a den area, the town would not allow it to ever be converted to a 3rd bedroom because officials were afraid of a run on the schools. (Looks like the same thing may be happening in Mount Olive, as the Ryan townhome units there are all 2 BR with a den as well.)

3. I simply liked the house better in Mount Arlington. I have a walkout basement (not an option at the Randolph house), a two car garage (not an option for the unit I was looking at), 3 nice sized bedrooms, and an end unit. In Randolph, a lot of the townhomes' rears faced a busy street. My townhome backs up to... woods with fluffy trees. Pulte played games with lot premiums, Ryan did not... the premium for the model/end units was built into the advertised price.

I'm been thrilled with my decision. The house has been great, and it has appreciated considerably. I got in early and got a good price. The last batch of houses that closed (sometime around May) sold for about $40,000 more than I paid, and I bet they don't have all the options I got. There's one more batch of homes that will likely close around September, and I'm thinking these homes will close for $50,000 or more than what I paid. Yes, the homes in Randolph have appreciated a little bit more (not by a huge difference though). But I certainly can't complain.

They're building up in this are a lot, and I don't think that's going to stop anytime soon. In addition, I think prices are going to keep rising in the area for a while. Western Morris is a bargain comapred to Bergen County or Western Essex County and people who don't have 800 to a mil to drop on a new construction townhouse (or 600+ to drop on a circa 1980 wreck) in those areas are now looking in Western Morris. I'm very glad I got in when I did.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:02 PM

856 posts, read 704,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Wow... my zombie thread has come back to life!

The community sold old sometime around March 2018. Ryan is starting a new townhome community a few miles away in Mount Olive for comparable pricing, and a single home community in Sparta which is going to cost more...

https://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-...mountain-ridge

https://www.ryanhomes.com/find-your-.../north-village

Thanks for the advice. These were the exact thoughts going through my mind when I was deciding...

I actually bought the townhouse in Mount Arlington. Since the townhouse I looked at in Randolph is only about 7 miles away, I occasionally drive by to check on my "other house" (LOL, yeah, I'm crazy). There were a few reasons why I chose the house in Mount Arlington:

1. The townhomes in Randolph were just a little too expensive for me. Pulte's incentives weren't as good as Ryan's either. For example, my home has a deck (it was a $6,000 option with Pulte, included with Ryan) and a fireplace (holiday incentive from Ryan since I signed the contract in December 2016, a $5,000 option with Pulte). In a best case scenario, the townhome in Randolph would have cost $40,000 more, and that number would have likely been more like $60,000 with comparable options to what I received in my home, not to mention the increased taxes. (Randolph's tax rate is slightly lower than Mount Arlington's but the extra value of the home would have easily killed that benefit.) Geez, I'm swinging the Mount Arlington home by the skin of my teeth.

2. The townhouses in Randolph were only 2 BR (at least the model within the realm of possibility for me). I was told by the sales rep that even though there was a den area, the town would not allow it to ever be converted to a 3rd bedroom because officials were afraid of a run on the schools. (Looks like the same thing may be happening in Mount Olive, as the Ryan townhome units there are all 2 BR with a den as well.)

3. I simply liked the house better in Mount Arlington. I have a walkout basement (not an option at the Randolph house), a two car garage (not an option for the unit I was looking at), 3 nice sized bedrooms, and an end unit. In Randolph, a lot of the townhomes' rears faced a busy street. My townhome backs up to... woods with fluffy trees. Pulte played games with lot premiums, Ryan did not... the premium for the model/end units was built into the advertised price.

I'm been thrilled with my decision. The house has been great, and it has appreciated considerably. I got in early and got a good price. The last batch of houses that closed (sometime around May) sold for about $40,000 more than I paid, and I bet they don't have all the options I got. There's one more batch of homes that will likely close around September, and I'm thinking these homes will close for $50,000 or more than what I paid. Yes, the homes in Randolph have appreciated a little bit more (not by a huge difference though). But I certainly can't complain.

They're building up in this are a lot, and I don't think that's going to stop anytime soon. In addition, I think prices are going to keep rising in the area for a while. Western Morris is a bargain comapred to Bergen County or Western Essex County and people who don't have 800 to a mil to drop on a new construction townhouse (or 600+ to drop on a circa 1980 wreck) in those areas are now looking in Western Morris. I'm very glad I got in when I did.
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying Morris County! I lived most of my life in Morris County and will consider moving back at some point. It's a great place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey