Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we look for our new home?
Maplewood/South Orange 6 46.15%
Millburn/Chatham/Summit 0 0%
Montclair 3 23.08%
Glen Ridge 2 15.38%
Someplace else! 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 07:21 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times

Advertisements

If you want a slightly cheaper alternative look in West Orange. A lot of people who have been priced out of Maplewood/SO recently have been buying in the Gregory section of West Orange. There is a jitney that can take you to the South Orange or Orange train stations. Housing is cheaper, schools and taxes are about the same as M/SO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2017, 03:00 PM

3 posts, read 3,176 times
Don't know if you have already moved or still looking. There are options in that price range, in Maplewood, South Orange. Fewer in Millburn.

I can recommend an agent who knows the area and can help you though. Let me know if you would like the details

Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 AM

482 posts, read 729,002 times
Just moved to Glen Ridge from UES. Bid in Montclair. We live in Glen Ridge and do all of our shopping and eating out in Montclair.

There are a line of Brooklynites trying to buy in Montclair now. I would recommend that for you as well, especially given the schools. We love it here. Below are some things you should be aware of in Montclair

The train times and DeCamp bus times are bogus. Add 5 minutes to the train times plus another 5 to walk up to the concourse. DeCamp buses run through Montclair as well and could get you into Port Authority in 30 min to an hour depending on when you leave. The buses beat out the trains if you leave before 7am, and return home after 7pm. I do trains in the morning and buses at night.

Montclair and Glen Ridge are Best and final. We bid on two houses in Montclair, both walking distance to trains (watchung and walnut), one went for 185k over the ask and the other 160k over the ask. Whatever your budget is, take it down 15 to 25 percent, and use that as a starting point for asking prices. You could sidestep bidding wars if your willing to redo the kitchen and bathrooms yourself. At your price range, there are definitely ppl bidding 101k over the 549k asking price at a 650k bid.

Another thing with sealed bid is you can't get what you want. You may lose on a few houses. There's no second round bidding. And you need to see a lot of open houses in the process

Montclair has a town wide reval in 2018. At your price range, taxes will be around high teens, budget for them going up a couple grand and breaking 20.

Test out the commute!! My train from Glen ridge is 35-45 min depending on delays and the time I take it. We are 10 miles from penn. That means the train is traveling at a snails pace half the time, or stopped for a few minutes here and there. I am used to commuting on the metro north to westchester. For ppl in westchester, they would deem NJTransit as unacceptable. Metro north travels two to threee times the distance in the same amount of time. Think about that. Anyway, the commute is a bit anxiety provoking so make sure your comfortable with it.

Last edited by JaRuss01; 03-10-2017 at 04:51 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
Default What did you decide??

Hi there,
I stumbled upon your post b/c we are in a similar situation and I'm so curious to hear if you made a decision. If so, I hope you're happy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey