Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 11:17 AM

60 posts, read 60,946 times

Advertisements

Hi from Florida!

I'm a 28 single male needing some relocation advice. I just accepted a job with an insurance company with offices at the world trade center complex. I start early next year. The time has come to do research about where to live as things are happening quickly. I'm planning a trip to NYC after Thanksgiving weekend. I was looking at Brooklyn and Queens. What's important to me is having a nearby independent coffee shop, a little nightlife and great pub culture. Safety is important too. I don't want to live in the ghetto. I could give a damn about elementary schools. I'm not planning to have kids ever. My two nephews are enough trouble! My budget is around $1,300 for rent including utilities, but I didn't see anything I really liked. I also would like to keep my car. It looks like it would be difficult to do with no free parking.

I then saw this thread in the NYC forum

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...er-jersey.html

I'm intrigued now what it's like to live in New Jersey, when compared to Brooklyn or Queens. The prices seem within my budget. I live with roommates now, and I really want to get away from that situation if I can.

How is the commute into Manhattan? What's the deal with Journal Square? It looks kinda dumpy to be honest. Can I find some place for $1,300. A one bedroom or studio apartment?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,245,352 times
Journal square and most of JC is dumpy. There's no reason for anyone to want to move there.

Check out Rutherford. It has all of the above and with your car you'll still have access to the conveniences of suburbia.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:25 PM

4,012 posts, read 3,571,848 times
Journal Square is really convenient for commuting to lower Manhattan, where you will be working. I agree it does look kind of dumpy, but there is a lot of development in the area so I would expect the overall look and amenities to improve as well, but that could take years. Downtown Jersey City, which would be a quick train or Uber ride, has a ton of nice restaurants and bars that are probably right up your alley. Hoboken is also close, so you will have plenty of dining and night life options.

Keep in mind that for your budget, the areas in Brooklyn or Queens that you might be able to afford with decent commutes to Manhattan are going to be equally, if not more, dumpy. It would probably not make sense to have a car in any of these places. You probably can't imagine not having a car since you're coming from Florida, but you will most likely not miss it at all. In fact, if the expense of owning a car is keeping you from having a higher rent budget, ditching the car is definitely your best bet.If you insist on keeping the car, look into Union City/Weehawken. Your commute will be a tad longer but you have more options for street parking. Good luck with your search!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:40 PM

19,056 posts, read 25,194,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Journal Square is really convenient for commuting to lower Manhattan, where you will be working. I agree it does look kind of dumpy, but there is a lot of development in the area so I would expect the overall look and amenities to improve as well, but that could take years. Downtown Jersey City, which would be a quick train or Uber ride, has a ton of nice restaurants and bars that are probably right up your alley. Hoboken is also close, so you will have plenty of dining and night life options.

Keep in mind that for your budget, the areas in Brooklyn or Queens that you might be able to afford with decent commutes to Manhattan are going to be equally, if not more, dumpy. It would probably not make sense to have a car in any of these places. You probably can't imagine not having a car since you're coming from Florida, but you will most likely not miss it at all. In fact, if the expense of owning a car is keeping you from having a higher rent budget, ditching the car is definitely your best bet.If you insist on keeping the car, look into Union City/Weehawken. Your commute will be a tad longer but you have more options for street parking. Good luck with your search!
^
Excellent advice from HudsonCoNJ!

The OP should be aware that everything stated above is accurate and on-point, but I will go a bit further in order to say that owning a car in those areas is an actual liability, not a convenience. On the occasions when you need a car instead of public transit, you can rent a car or get one from Zipcar for the day.

The saving on insurance (which is incredibly high, as you will find out) and parking fees or fines will be considerable if you ditch your car, and when you consider the inconvenience of shifting your car around a couple of times a week for Alternate Side of the Street Parking--in an environment where there are almost no open parking spaces--all of these factors combine so that you will really get to dislike car ownership in short order in these urban areas.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,026,565 times
If I were in your shoes, I would opt for Queens.

Your commute will be a bit longer, but those trains run like clockwork during the week.

You'll be living in a nicer neighborhood, can have a car, and some bars nearby.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...labilityMode=0

Old 11-07-2016, 01:32 PM

88,234 posts, read 84,175,053 times
The 72-story mixed residential and commercial tower that Jared Kushner will be building in Journal Square is likely the beginning of the end of the dumpiness.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM

274 posts, read 296,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The 72-story mixed residential and commercial tower that Jared Kushner will be building in Journal Square is likely the beginning of the end of the dumpiness.
I was just about to say the same thing.

Plans for 3 major new Journal Square towers move forward | NJ.com

The first 50 story Journal Square tower built by Jared Kusher's cousin is complete and has just started leasing. Journal Square is a great urban area, and it's going to get even better! I live just North of the affordable rents and JSQ and love it for the easy commute to work. Many people shun Jersey City because they have a bias that it's dumpy or unsafe.

BTW, check out this video: https://vimeo.com/187067974

The new towers are close to the PATH station, but will be crazy expensive in rent. Best best is to look on craigslist at some of the older housing stock nearby. It's possible to get a decent one bedroom for $1,100.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,076,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
I was just about to say the same thing.

Plans for 3 major new Journal Square towers move forward | NJ.com

The first 50 story Journal Square tower built by Jared Kusher's cousin is complete and has just started leasing. Journal Square is a great urban area, and it's going to get even better! I live just North of the affordable rents and JSQ and love it for the easy commute to work. Many people shun Jersey City because they have a bias that it's dumpy or unsafe.

BTW, check out this video: [vimeo]187067974[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/187067974

The new towers are close to the PATH station, but will be crazy expensive in rent. Best best is to look on craigslist at some of the older housing stock nearby. It's possible to get a decent one bedroom for $1,100.
You mean built by Trump organization? Aren't they almost the same creature.

And I don't really envy the PATH commuting experience once all these towers are full. As of right now, PATH Jersey City line is packed. After all these towers are built, there will be lines outside of the PATH stations to get in and train packers to get the trains moving.

And of course in the typical third world style, the JS City government was probably paid off by Trump/Kushner not to think about such minor issue as transportation. JS residents are used to crowds and waiting on-line so they will probably not complain too much...

In normal cities/countries developers contribute to enhancing the transportation systems as a condition for getting building permits...

Old 11-08-2016, 01:09 AM

860 posts, read 966,026 times
move to HOBOKEN if you can afford, if you move to journal square you will wish you moved to Hoboken.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 AM

7,054 posts, read 19,244,970 times
For $1300 he's getting no part of Hoboken or Downtown JC without a bunch of roommates.

The OP is right, JSQ is kinda dumpy, but the commute is short and the budget is right*
Can't have it all.

*budget may get an older unrenovated unit, at least for now. The place is changing slowly but rents are rising quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey