Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 11:28 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, we just suck so much, why would anybody ever want to move here.

Given pretty bad stereotypes about NJ, people who say they're moving here on CD and ask us about it are likely either entirely serious and have really thought it out or are trolling just so they can ask us stupid questions like "does NJ have trees?" It's not the type of place people contemplate moving to but aren't really serious, like Southern CA or NYC or sunny warm FL, because most idiots from elsewhere are like "HA NEW JERSEY?!?! Why would you want to live THERE?" most of the time. "They don't even have trees" .....
Yikes...a bit overly dramatic, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 07:49 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yikes...a bit overly dramatic, no?
My point is that they've decided they're probably going to move here, weighed pros and cons they know exist, they've even been out here and looked at areas they're interested in, and saying things like you did is unhelpful.

Not dramatic but very sarcastic.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:56 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
My point is that they've decided they're probably going to move here, weighed pros and cons they know exist, they've even been out here and looked at areas they're interested in, and saying things like you did is unhelpful.

Not dramatic but very sarcastic.
Not sure if the sarcasm helps the OP, and I usually don't assume that all of those points you mentioned in your opening paragraph are true.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Stay in Boulder. You'd be crazy to move here. I'm surprised no one has advised you on this fact.
Quote:
Not sure if the sarcasm helps the OP, and I usually don't assume that all of those points you mentioned in your opening paragraph are true.
Ironic because I'm not sure how anything YOU said helps the OP. Like I said, most who come on here with this much info and planning as the OP has, they're serious about it. A job is bringing OP here. They've already been out here looking at areas. Seems like they're going to move here and a post like "you'd be crazy to move here" is unhelpful at this point, and unnecessarily discouraging.

If OP and his/her spouse will be making good money by NYC metro standards and can afford nice towns (sounds like they can because that's where they're looking), with good schools, they will probably have a nice life here. NJ has everything they are looking for, based on what OP specified. Honestly most states probably would, it's pretty generic basic stuff that they want. OP asked for pros and cons of specific towns, not pros and cons of living here in general. Seems their minds are set, and I'm not sure telling them to not move here while offering them no additional info except apparently fewer sunny days is useful, that's all.

For OP - don't move to a more expensive town with train access to the city because you don't need it for daily commuting. Towns like Summit and Millburn and Westfield with easy city access, whether direct or not, are more expensive than areas further out without such train access. Those towns are awesome but you don't need them. If you find a great home in your budget there and towns like them then awesome, but if you feel you're not getting enough for your money then that is understandable considering you won't even need one of those towns' biggest resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey