Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 568 times

Advertisements

I was side blinded by my company a month ago and was told not much more then I do not "fit" and was let go with no further explanations. That same night, the supervisor who marched me to the HR office, contacted me via text and offered up other companies that might hire me (I thought that was nice, but odd). I never had performance issues, never had absentee's, even worked after hours without being paid (as is expected of all the case managers), my coworkers were all shocked as they called me later to check on me. We had a good working team.

The day I was let go, I was with my supervisor and a new employee that I was to train. We just came out of a meeting with a new company we were offering our services to. The new company reported offering their patients art classes. I wanted to verify with my supervisor if it would be ok for our company to offer the art classes to our patients with in that facility. She responded "yes". I asked this because I was hand slapped for inquiring about meditation to a different patient at another facility and didn't want to make the same mistake. Policies are not defined in this company, it is new and growing and they make the rules as they go.
I asked my supervisor if she was sure I could offer this service because I was reprimanded for just inquiring about meditation at a different facility.
I then told the new employee we cannot offer meditation to our patients, because it will result in a hand slap. My supervisor, immediately scolded me as not being professional. I was shocked, I was just relaying a policy I learned the hard way. Later that day, I was called into the HR office and was told I do not fit and was let go. No further explanation, I'm sure the HR person was not prepared. My supervisor offered that I spoke badly about the company, in which I quickly responded that it was not true, since I recommended a colleague that was hired. I knew what ever I was about to say was not going to make a difference, words were going to be flipped, so, I kept quiet.
They said they wouldn't deny my unemployment and my medical benefits would be continued to the end of the month (which I found out at the end of the month, it ended the day I was let go).

So, at this point, I'm in the 7 week waiting period before my non monetary interview. My company reported "misconduct". Not only did I lose a job I loved, my health benefits, coworkers I loved, the accrued vacation days I never used because we were too busy to even use them. Now, I'm accused of misconduct on top of it !!!!

I also should add, I worked with a team in the "inner city", I was the only one that was of "off color". I never minded, my patients loved me, my team loved me. However, my company failed me.
My position has been replaced by a person of the persuasion that seems to fit better. They also did the same with the office intake coordinator, she was replaced with a better "fit" as well. This may have a part in why they wanted to let me go, because I did not do anything that I know of that constituted anything less than being a good employee and got my job done.

How does NJ UE constitute misconduct ? I feel this was a trumped up reason to report on me, when they just wanted to replace my position with the "right fit".

I am worried I will be denied benefits because of misconduct.

thanks for your responses in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:22 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
I don't have direct experience, not my field, but reading this I think you would be able to collect. I think if they tried denying, your former employer would have to send someone in to challenge, etc.

I've heard otherwise that NJ like most states is a "right to work" state which actually seems to mean the opposite of what that sounds like, meaning any employer can terminate you for no reason at all and do not have to give any reason. Anyway keep marching on, your success starts with y o u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey