Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:02 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,341 times

Advertisements

It's also one of the cheapest rents in Marlton. About the only places in NJ where rents are really high are Hoboken and Jersey City. You can find plenty of $900-$1,000 one bedrooms just about anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:26 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Allison Apartments is currently $870-$906 for a one bedroom:

Allison Apartments Apartments Marlton, NJ - Apartments for Rent in Marlton New Jersey
I guess that listing I saw was old. I paid $654 in 1995.

WOW!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:33 PM

53 posts, read 224,731 times
Since you are 23, have you considered living in Philadelphia? You are young, and would probably benefit living the city life! If not now, then when? Philly to Moorestown is less than 30 mins. If you do the reverse commute (Philly to Moorestown during rush hour) you should not have problems, imo. I really think it's something to consider, being that you are 23, young, vibrant and single(?). My single friend at one time lived in Mount Laurel then moved out to Philly and really enjoyed her life way more. Philly offers more options at your fingertips.. more places to hang out, more places to meet ppl., more restaurants.. overall, Philly is a good city. I think at 60K, you can probably find a decent pl in Philly and manage. If not, you can always try to find a roommate. Being that you are recently out of collge, I'd recommend Philly over South NJ suburbs.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 17,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Oh dude, make the move! I've been to Toledo....no comparison. You'll be right outside Philly, so you're near a major city (that is not Detroit), not far from the beach...South Jersey is a great area, and $60K is a way decent salary, especially for someone your age. You might have to get used to the East-Coast people (probably more aggressive than you're used to), but don't get discouraged....it's only the gruff exterior. Good luck!
Haha! I don't think any major city is like Detroit! Thanks for the input! I'm leaning closer and closer to taking this offer.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeLatte View Post
Since you are 23, have you considered living in Philadelphia? You are young, and would probably benefit living the city life! If not now, then when? Philly to Moorestown is less than 30 mins. If you do the reverse commute (Philly to Moorestown during rush hour) you should not have problems, imo. I really think it's something to consider, being that you are 23, young, vibrant and single(?). My single friend at one time lived in Mount Laurel then moved out to Philly and really enjoyed her life way more. Philly offers more options at your fingertips.. more places to hang out, more places to meet ppl., more restaurants.. overall, Philly is a good city. I think at 60K, you can probably find a decent pl in Philly and manage. If not, you can always try to find a roommate. Being that you are recently out of collge, I'd recommend Philly over South NJ suburbs.
Thats something I'll have to think about after I get situated. Right now all I'm concerned with is moving to that part of the country. I'll probably start out living in NJ with a short apt. lease... and if I absolutely hate it, I'll consider Philly.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
It was $950/month 10 years ago when I lived there so I knew something was wrong.
ML crossings looks really nice and has a lot to offer, but I'm really not too concerned if I don't have a pool & some of the other stuff at the complex. If i can find a cheaper apartment that isn't in the ghetto, I'll probably take that instead

Thanks for your input! The cost of living in Toledo is SOOOOOO much lower, so I was a little shocked to see how expensive apts were in NJ, but i'm not worried about financial issues anymore. I just may be moving out that way!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,397,444 times
ThatGuyKG -- Living in the city (Philly) is a great idea, but will definitely be more expensive than SJ burbs. Parking can be a problem. And there's a high city wage tax (not sure if it applies to people living in the city as opposed to working there). I like your idea of moving close to work and then exploring your options after you get here. South Jersey isn't known as a high cost-of-living area like North Jersey is (due to its proximity to NY). NJ in general is known for its high property taxes (which you won't have as a renter) and high car insurance. However, gas prices are very low, AND you don't have to pump it yourself!

I can't imagine you would regret this move. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,601,560 times
I think you still pay wage tax if you live in Philly.

It doesn't seem worth it to me.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:01 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I think you still pay wage tax if you live in Philly.

It doesn't seem worth it to me.

There seems to be a lot of taxes the closer to Philly you get. At another forum I go to someone was listing the taxes

Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,341 times
I work in center city and pay the wage tax. I think it's around 4.5%-4.75%, it is credited on my state tax return as 'credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions', in other words, it counts toward income tax payment to the State of NJ. There is a reciprocal tax agreement between PA/NJ for south jersey commuters. But I don't know how it is handled if you are a PA resident. Property taxes in PA are much lower so in the end you are not overtaxed relative to NJ.

As for living in Philly, the cost of living is not any higher than most areas of SJ, in fact it might be lower. The things I buy over there versus the same stores in Mount Laurel, even simple things like CVS, are less expensive in Philly. Rents in Philly can be very expensive or dirt cheap depending on the location so it just a matter of location.

And there also seems to be a general ignorance of the difference between north/south jersey. But I won't go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey