Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 17,374 times

Advertisements

I'm from Ohio (Toledo to be exact) and I just got a job offer in Moorestown... problem is I don't know ANYTHING about NJ. The job looks intriguing, but then again I don't want to end up going in over my head making a "spur of the moment" decision.

I'm a single guy, so I'm not looking for a house or anything... just an apartment. Also, I wanna make sure I'm not in/nearby any unsafe neighborhoods... don't wanna have to deal with any unnecesary stress. And finally, I don't wanna pay WAAAY too much to live, I don't wanna have to scrape change out of my couch to pay the bills.

Like I said before, I don't know anything about South Jersey. So if anyone can help me out on some ideas where I can find a safe & affordable place to live near Moorestown, that would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
Suggest you get an apartment in Mount Laurel which is a very good area right next to Moorestown. I don't know what you want to spend on rent, but this is the most desirable apartment complex in ML with easy access to major roads, shopping and Philly. You'll like working in Moorestown, very desirable town. Good luck!

Mount Laurel Crossing

Mount Laurel Crossing-1 Larchmont Place Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054 856-778-5558 - Apartment Search Results

Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Suggest you get an apartment in Mount Laurel which is a very good area right next to Moorestown. I don't know what you want to spend on rent, but this is the most desirable apartment complex in ML with easy access to major roads, shopping and Philly. You'll like working in Moorestown, very desirable town. Good luck!

Mount Laurel Crossing

Mount Laurel Crossing-1 Larchmont Place Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054 856-778-5558 - Apartment Search Results
Wow... $900?!?! Thats a bit of a culture shock to me!

Just to show you what I mean, here are the apartment listings for my hometown...

Toledo Apartment Search Results - All Toledo Apartments for Rent in Toledo, OH

I'd still like to take this position... but it looks to me like the cost of living is outrageous! If you don't mind me asking, what would be considered a reasonable salary to live in this area?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:31 PM

53 posts, read 224,814 times
$900 is not considered high rent in NJ, even for a one bedroom. Especially if rental complex offers amenities like pool, gym, business center, and laundry facility within the apt. unit. Southern Jersey has "better" rental prices than central or Northern Jersey. I'm sure if you do research, you can find less expensive rentals, but probably not as nice as the one recommened by MoorestownResident.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyKG View Post
Wow... $900?!?! Thats a bit of a culture shock to me!

Just to show you what I mean, here are the apartment listings for my hometown...

Toledo Apartment Search Results - All Toledo Apartments for Rent in Toledo, OH

I'd still like to take this position... but it looks to me like the cost of living is outrageous! If you don't mind me asking, what would be considered a reasonable salary to live in this area?
It depend on if you have a family or not what a reasonable salary is .

Old 02-26-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
It depend on if you have a family or not what a reasonable salary is .
I'm single, 23, and I'll be graduating with an engineering degree. If I accept this job I'll be making 60k (didn't really want to disclose salary, but this has been eating at me all day). Now, in Toledo, thats good money... however, considering NJ taxes, cost of living, and other expenses, I'm not sure how financially stable I'd be taking this offer. I know discussing cost can be a touchy subject, but this is a HUGE decision I need to make, and I wanna make sure I don't spend the next few years kicking myself.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:18 AM

222 posts, read 1,025,984 times
60k is a great salary for someone who's 23. Even in NJ.

Now, are you going to be able to buy a house on that salary in NJ? No way. But you'll be able to rent a nice place, save some money, and put some into retirement.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:06 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
You can easily afford $900/month on 60K a year. In fact, you could buy a condo or townhouse in Mount Laurel on your salary.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeLatte View Post
$900 is not considered high rent in NJ, even for a one bedroom. Especially if rental complex offers amenities like pool, gym, business center, and laundry facility within the apt. unit. Southern Jersey has "better" rental prices than central or Northern Jersey. I'm sure if you do research, you can find less expensive rentals, but probably not as nice as the one recommened by MoorestownResident.
no kidding! I was paying $700 for a crappy (seriously crappy) 1 bedroom in Essex County in 1989 - no pool, gym, shared laundry, etc...

Old 02-27-2008, 05:47 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
You'll clear around 750-780 a week.

So 1 week salary covers your rent just about. If you can cook a little bit you shouldnt have any prob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey