Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:07 AM

836 posts, read 1,254,262 times

Advertisements

Why is New Jersey often called just "Jersey" if New Hampshire is not called "Hampshire" and New York is not called "York"? Maybe it has to do with the colonial past, in which at one point there were two separate colonies of West Jersey and East Jersey?

In addition, those who call New Jersey “Jersey” seem to be ignorant of the Channel Island (between England and France) called Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 06:19 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yofie View Post
In addition, those who call New Jersey “Jersey” seem to be ignorant of the Channel Island (between England and France) called Jersey.
Ignorance of many disciplines is widespread, but geography seems to be one of the areas of knowledge that is most...mysterious...to many Americans. I agree that many--perhaps most--people seem to be unaware of the existence of The Isle of Jersey, but much closer to home they are ignorant of things that absolutely shouldn't be a mystery.

To what am I referring? Well, each year, the State of New Mexico gets thousands of inquiries asking whether a passport is necessary to enter that "country". Yes, many Americans don't even know that New Mexico is one of the 50 states. And, something that should interest you, as a Canadian, is the reality that many Americans think that a large percentage of the population of our neighbor to the north live in igloos. Yes, many Americans are of the bizarre belief that all of Canada is in a constant state of ice and snow.

So, is it really surprising that so many folks would be unaware of the distant Isle of Jersey?

Last edited by Retriever; 11-17-2016 at 06:34 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 06:45 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
Quote:
Why is New Jersey often called just "Jersey" if New Hampshire is not called "Hampshire" and New York is not called "York"? Maybe it has to do with the colonial past, in which at one point there were two separate colonies of West Jersey and East Jersey?
My theory is because it ends in the "ie" sound. Americans love nicknames ending like that (Almost all first names have some nickname ending in that sound).

Old 11-17-2016, 07:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
My spouse was born and raised in "Jersey." Her entire life it has been known as "Jersey" and the beach area always has been "the shore." Just as various states and areas have their own nuances, the same goes for Jersey.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:32 AM

398 posts, read 983,753 times
May have to do with ease of saying the name and if both words feel like one when saying it.

"New Jersey" feels like 2 separate words that don't roll together the same way as "New York" (nu-yok) or "New Hampshire" (nu-ampshre).

Old 11-17-2016, 08:09 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:

Jersey - that's how it is. Reminds me of my time in Atlanta. People would ask me, "have you ever been to New York City?" Nobody up here calls the City, New York City.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Why do people call New York "The City?"

I don't hear people refer to Chicago or LA as "The City," but it's a very common question for anyone around here, "do you work in The City?" "Take the train into The City?"

It's a nickname, a way of showing insider status, that's all.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:56 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Every couple of years, a newspaper or magazine does an article on the isle of Jersey.

Of course, you would have to be a person who actually reads to learn about it.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:13 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I actually don't like when people shorten New Jersey to Jersey. I don't know why, I just never have and don't often say it.

Which is ironic because of my name. However, "Jersey Girl" is a widely used phrase/thing and is one of my favorite songs. I also don't mind saying the "Jersey shore." But in conversation when referring to the state itself I don't say "I'm going back to Jersey today" or "in Jersey we say or do this" or whatever. 9 times out of 10 I call this state its actual name and cringe inwardly when people, especially those from out of state, call it just Jersey. I don't like how "Jersey" sounds unfinished and informal. And also, as a millennial, I really dislike when people my age shorten it to "Jerz" or worse - "Dirty Jerz." Ugh.

And I know the Isle of Jersey exists.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:39 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Jersey is also used alone to describe a shirt and sets the precedent for other solo applications.

Because a jersey has at least two places where excreted sweat collects and must be washed to prevent foul odors and produces irremovable stains.

New Jersey has two such stained spots.

Given the standard question when someone says they live in NJ, the repsonse is what exit? So appropriately a jersey with two stained spots and a big number couldn't be more appropriately called a jersey.

Then again the name Jersey has been used to preface businesses like Jersey Mikes Jersey joes and heavy weight fighters like Jersey Joe Walcot. So Jersey rolls off the tongue like a person's name.

Many confuse the word knew with new.

Phonetics and language nuance not being a strong suit of public education and foreign visitors.

So when they hear NEW jersey they think it means someone KNEW jersey. That is they were familair with the roads and landmarks in the swamps across the river from NYC.

Haven't checked the latest memo on banned words this morning but rumors from Rutgers are that NEW may be only used when it references NY, NH, NM. It is considered inappropriate for Jersey to use that preface.

Used to live on Jersey Ave, which is located in NJ, I should know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey