U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-21-2016, 01:51 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,792 posts, read 3,454,156 times
Reputation: 3274

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am flying to NJ at the end of January. What is the best way to get from EWR to Red Bank? It looks like a cab will cost about $75 and I'm not seeing other options (besides Uber/Lyft). Figured I'd ask.

I'm from Portland, OR but truly, I'm a SoCal girl still. I've only had to drive in snow once (it doesn't snow often here and when it does, the city shuts down) and ice is so-so here, but common every winter. I'm just worried about having to drive in snow/ice if I rent a car.

TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2016, 02:02 PM
 
351 posts, read 374,418 times
Reputation: 320
you can take the train, $17.25
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 02:14 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,792 posts, read 3,454,156 times
Reputation: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nx View Post
you can take the train, $17.25
Do you have the name of the train? Is it Amtrak, something just in NJ? Just want to be sure I'm looking at the right thing.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
67,727 posts, read 63,220,505 times
Reputation: 83078
NJ Transit. There are regular commuter trains all day to Red Bank. You take the monorail at EWR to the station that connects with the NJ Transit railroad and take the North Jersey Coast Line. Ride from the EWR NJ Transit station to Red Bank is about an hour. Pretty easy to do.

http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tConnectionsTo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 02:46 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,792 posts, read 3,454,156 times
Reputation: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
NJ Transit. There are regular commuter trains all day to Red Bank. You take the monorail at EWR to the station that connects with the NJ Transit railroad and take the North Jersey Coast Line. Ride from the EWR NJ Transit station to Red Bank is about an hour. Pretty easy to do.

New Jersey Transit

Thanks!
Are there cabs in Red Bank? I ask because it's about 2 miles to the hotel and I don't think I want to walk that at 10pm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 03:04 PM
 
16,719 posts, read 16,451,581 times
Reputation: 41310
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Hello all!

I am flying to NJ at the end of January. What is the best way to get from EWR to Red Bank? It looks like a cab will cost about $75 and I'm not seeing other options (besides Uber/Lyft). Figured I'd ask.

I'm from Portland, OR but truly, I'm a SoCal girl still. I've only had to drive in snow once (it doesn't snow often here and when it does, the city shuts down) and ice is so-so here, but common every winter. I'm just worried about having to drive in snow/ice if I rent a car.

TIA.
I used to have to work at Fort Monmouth NJ once a month and would fly in and pick up a shuttle. My friend lived in Manalapan and she'd come pick me up and drop me off from there. I believe it was in Freehold.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 PM
 
16,719 posts, read 16,451,581 times
Reputation: 41310
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks!
Are there cabs in Red Bank? I ask because it's about 2 miles to the hotel and I don't think I want to walk that at 10pm.
Yes there are cabs everywhere in the area. I would go ahead and put those numbers in your phone before going.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
67,727 posts, read 63,220,505 times
Reputation: 83078
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks!
Are there cabs in Red Bank? I ask because it's about 2 miles to the hotel and I don't think I want to walk that at 10pm.
Yup. They are usually right there at the station when the train comes in. There's also Uber.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 04:48 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,792 posts, read 3,454,156 times
Reputation: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yes there are cabs everywhere in the area. I would go ahead and put those numbers in your phone before going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yup. They are usually right there at the station when the train comes in. There's also Uber.
Thanks to the both of you. Glad to hear there are cabs, I'm sure a train ride and 2 mile cab would be a ton cheaper (just trying to save my company some money).

Honestly, I don't trust Uber/Lyft. I've heard way too many horror stories about the drivers taking people some back road or out of the way road, all the while wondering if they're going to be hacked to bits, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2016, 05:19 PM
 
4,000 posts, read 1,992,923 times
Reputation: 2301
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks to the both of you. Glad to hear there are cabs, I'm sure a train ride and 2 mile cab would be a ton cheaper (just trying to save my company some money).

Honestly, I don't trust Uber/Lyft. I've heard way too many horror stories about the drivers taking people some back road or out of the way road, all the while wondering if they're going to be hacked to bits, etc.


Uber in the local are around Red Bank is probably safer and def a much more pleasant experience than a regular cab.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top