U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:18 AM

10 posts, read 58,768 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I currently reside in Queens with my wife. We are planning to move to Matawan, NJ. We tested the bus and train route to the city, and we concluded that the train is MUCH better, but finding a parking spot is very difficult. Beside that point, can anyone give me some feedback on the town itself? development of the town? maybe schooling for down the road? crime rates? Thanks in advance.

-DK
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2006, 11:49 AM

34 posts, read 146,443 times
Hi--I am living in Queens with my husband as well--in Forest Hills. We are also looking to move to Jersey. If you don't mind me asking, what are your reasons for wishing to leave New York? I happen to love NY, and my home, a co-op, but my husband wants a house, which is unaffordable in this borough. Just curious about you...

Old 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM

=) u said it yourself....it is unaffordable.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 13,324,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer777 View Post
=) u said it yourself....it is unaffordable.
Matawan is a nice town that has been unable to get a grip on property taxes as of late. Check with local realtors or go to www.zillow.com you can input any home on that site and normally be able to find tax info. Good luck

Old 11-30-2006, 05:37 PM

9,827 posts, read 13,751,900 times
I live in Old Bridge with a Matawan address.

Matawan is a nice town with good shopping nearby. Close to the shore. Good schools. Unfort, it really doesn't have a downtown, except for a few stores, banks and post office. Taxes are high, but it's the same in most parts of the state.

While parking at the train station is by permit and I think a few years waiting list, there are some private lots that rent out by the month. Crime rate is also low.

Any other questions please feel free to ask.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 AM

22 posts, read 104,241 times
I live in Matawan. As the posts say above, getting the permit and getting the commuter parking is tough, and taxes are ver high.

Our downtown used to be very quaint, but the town has allowed old victorians to be plowed over and made into stores and such that killed any prospects of it being a pretty historic "strolling town" , which it could have been. They don't seem to get it because the development rate is crazy. One minute there is a patch of woods, and the next week a Quick CHeck is there.

It is a "bedroom community" now, meaning most people commute live here, with many transplanted NYers. We have many apartment complexes, one of which I live in and the crime rate is going up in mine, which is why we are moving out.

Old 12-01-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you brought up the apartment complexes. That is my biggest concern. The house that I am currently looking at is in a culdesac, and across the street are apartment complexes which I am not too thrill with. I'm wondering has the taxes been rising alot within the last two years? once again, thanks for all your feedback.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:18 PM

Your very welcome. Yes, the place is filled with complexes due to the housing being so expensive. Here in my complex which is not expensive, something changed and with it drug dealing, alcohol and substance abuse and just a lower quality of living came in. Tires on the lawn, trash, cigarette buts, crack bags. Every week the cops are here to break up domestic fights. I've seen children and adults hitting abandoned cats, it's just terrible.
We are moving out.

But there are really, really nice apartment and condos around here too. Very pricey though. Every town has it's sections.

Two things I will miss very much. My excellent vet that is in Matawan, ( the best!)the local park and my gym. Best gym I was ever at.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 PM

WOW!! if you don't mind me asking...which part of Matawan do you reside in.

Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 PM

Wow is right. I should probably refrain from naming names. The place used to be very quiet, very different. In fact, I had a friend visit recently who has not been here in a couple of years and she was shocked at the decline. I have no idea what caused this influx, but here it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey