Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 PM

31,885 posts, read 26,916,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
we did touch on property taxes a bit. my auto insurance is about 1/4 what it was when i lived in brooklyn. so a big savings there.

Everyone I know who moved to NJ reported their auto insurance rates dropped, some significantly.

This is one reason people try to register their vehicles in NJ or elsewhere instead of NYS even if they live say on Staten Island or other parts of NYC.

One nosey guy made finding and reporting such people his life's work.
Living Here, but Registered There; New Yorkers Dodge High Fees with Out-of-State License Plates - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 10:01 PM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
people are such sissies. its an 1.25 hour trip. most of my fellow holmdelites have a worse commute than me. mightyqueen's commute seems a little worse but that is because she refuses to run over the jewish kids coming off their school buses.
Gut Shabbos, Captain.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:25 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Everyone I know who moved to NJ reported their auto insurance rates dropped, some significantly.

This is one reason people try to register their vehicles in NJ or elsewhere instead of NYS even if they live say on Staten Island or other parts of NYC.

One nosey guy made finding and reporting such people his life's work.
Living Here, but Registered There; New Yorkers Dodge High Fees with Out-of-State License Plates - The New York Times
It didn't used to be that way. NJ had the highest car insurance in the nation. Even higher than NY.

The one good thing James E. McGreevey did in his tenure as governor was to deregulate the auto insurance industry. The state insurance regulations made it impossible for many insurance companies to enter the state. After deregulation, competitive companies like Geico came to NJ and the competition drastically brought the insurance rates down for everyone.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:35 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
The one good thing James E. McGreevey did in his tenure as governor was to deregulate the auto insurance industry. The state insurance regulations made it impossible for many insurance companies to enter the state. After deregulation, competitive companies like Geico came to NJ and the competition drastically brought the insurance rates down for everyone.
Yup!
The only accomplishments of the McGreevy administration had to do with auto insurance and reform at the DMV. Does anyone else recall Christy Whitman's sweetheart deal with the company that got the contract for privatizing the car inspection process, only to force people to stand in the cold for hours at a time while the privatized company's printers froze (literally), and other major problems delayed the inspection process?

Overall, McGreevy's administration was a disaster, but he did manage to improve matters in regard to car insurance and in regard to converting Whitman's problem-plagued DMV to the new and improved MVC.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
The only accomplishments of the McGreevy administration had to do with auto insurance and reform at the DMV. Does anyone else recall Christy Whitman's sweetheart deal with the company that got the contract for privatizing the car inspection process, only to force people to stand in the cold for hours at a time while the privatized company's printers froze (literally), and other major problems delayed the inspection process?

Overall, McGreevy's administration was a disaster, but he did manage to improve matters in regard to car insurance and in regard to converting Whitman's problem-plagued DMV to the new and improved MVC.
The DMV experience did get much better, but I've been hearing lately that is is back to being a nightmare again. Less locations, less employees, and shorter hours all causing really long wait times. I don't know what caused this change, but I am going to have to go there sometime in January and I'm not looking forward to it.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
The DMV experience did get much better, but I've been hearing lately that is is back to being a nightmare again. Less locations, less employees, and shorter hours all causing really long wait times. I don't know what caused this change, but I am going to have to go there sometime in January and I'm not looking forward to it.
For years, I've been driving to a semi-rural DMV. I don't mind driving, but I hate waiting in line.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
The DMV experience did get much better, but I've been hearing lately that is is back to being a nightmare again. Less locations, less employees, and shorter hours all causing really long wait times. I don't know what caused this change

You really don't know what led to the cutbacks in locations and staffing at the MVC?
Really?
Just to refresh your memory, below is a photo of the person who is responsible, as he attempts to keep the state's precarious financial House of Cards from total collapse before he leaves office.

In addition to fewer locations and reduced staffing at MVC offices (There is no "DMV" folks! It has been the MVC for a number of years), the two-decade-old computer system at the MVC was supposed to have been replaced several years ago, but he keeps moving the goal line forward, again and again in order to keep costs down--at the expense of really bad customer service for the poor schmucks who have to go to the MVC offices and who pay both MVC fees and his salary.

That ancient and outdated computer system is subject to almost-daily breakdowns, and by continually delaying its replacement, he is adding to the woes of the people in line at the MVC.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-04-2016 at 07:33 AM..

Old 12-04-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
You really don't know what led to the cutbacks in locations and staffing at the MVC?
Really?
Yes. Really. I try to keep up with the news, and I think I do a pretty good job considering I work 80+ hours a week, but some things do occasionally get missed. Rather than pretend I know the answer to something, I usually just say "I don't know."

Old 12-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Yes. Really. I try to keep up with the news, and I think I do a pretty good job considering I work 80+ hours a week, but some things do occasionally get missed. Rather than pretend I know the answer to something, I usually just say "I don't know."
That is a refreshing bit of honesty, in a forum where so many people throw allegations and opinions around, despite those allegations and opinions not being supported by factual information.

I appreciate your honesty.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:30 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
It'll always be the DMV to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey